We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Rhubarb and Cats?

Frank99
Frank99 Posts: 609 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
I am hoping to grow some Rhubarb and Mint in the garden to use with cooking in the future as my father did in the old days however, my neighbour noted a word of caution on having Rhubard saying it is dangerous for her 6 cats who sit in my garden regularly.
I understand the leaves are poisonous but surely a cat wouldn't eat the leaves anyway, would they?:o
Enjoy everyday like it's your last!

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 July 2018 at 9:51AM
    You would be astounded at how cats have survived when you see the list of plants that are dangerous to them. Unlike their owners cats tend to know what they can and cannot eat so will stay away from them. If your neighbour who owns the cats has any flowers in their garden then most of them tend to be dangerous for cats so it may be worth pointing that out.
    https://www.woodgreen.org.uk/pet_advice/2793_poisonous_plants_and_your_pet

Considering the penchant for wandering that cats have you would need 2 mile exclusion zones around cat owners to be safe.

The alternative of course is that cat owners actually take responsibility for their animals and keep them under control.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2018 at 11:07AM
    Grow what you want. It's your garden.

We've had rhubarb in the garden and owned cats. The list of plants which are toxic to them (and us) is endless. The probability the cat which eat unpleasant tasting rhubarb leaves is too remote.

A cat owner has to accept that if they let their pet outdoors, it will face the risks of all the flora and fauna, as well as cars etc.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    I've had cats and rhubarb in the garden for years...the cats have thrived...the rhubarb has expired!
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think your neighbour is talking rhubarb !!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    Several neighbours have cats and they dont eat the rhubarb in my garden.

Just ants milking the aphids on the underside of the leaves, sheltered from the sun.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We've had cats and rhubarb with no ill effects.

Like most green stuff, I don't think it's very high on their "Things I like to eat" list.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    My cats use the rhubarb leaves as sunshades at this time of year.

Anyway, if your neighbour has 6 cats,tell her that's excessive. They have company, she has company and 4 of them are superfluous to requirements....
  • EmmyLou30
    EmmyLou30 Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can't believe a neighbour would suggest you don't grow a plant because she can't control her hoard of cats from getting off her property and trespassing on yours!! I have neighbours cats in mine all the time and they know to run sharpish when I get home and find them sleeping in the borders. If they're stupid enough to eat something they shouldn't that's her look out (not that they would, animals aren't that stupid).

Enjoy your rhubarb :-)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Better not grow lilies then, she'll have kittens:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Farway wrote: »
    Better not grow lilies then, she'll have kittens:D

Not funny, Farway. If cats ingest lily pollen (easily done if they brush past a plant and get the pollen on their fur - which they then groom off) it can lead to organ failure and a very painful death.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure