PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS Christmas 2015 thread!!!!

Comments

• rdone
    rdone Posts: 569
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've got all wrapping paper, cards and sticky tape from last year. We see the majority of people we send cards to so stamps aren't really an issue. I also use it as an excuse to go and see the people we don't tend to get to during the year!

I've started a few small presents already and am trying to rattle my brain for idea's for others. I also have my dads, mothers, mother in laws, nephews and brothers birthdays between now and then although I have most of that sorted.

With my H2B's sisters and brothers in law we tend to do Secret Santa so I have just asked them if we can draw names. Last year it was left until the beginning of December and it made me panic! I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of groans from them for asking so early!
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • Every year I trawl the sales looking for suitable things for the following Christmas picking up bargains on the way, this year I picked up 10 packs of 10 sheets of paper for 3.00, cards were 70% off the original price that includes family cards as well, slippers, smellies, clothing, decorations, mincemeat next to nothing I think the rrp of every thing I bought should have been at least £200 + I've spent so far £80 quids in
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    I had more wrapping paper from last year but it seems my rabbit has chewed some. I will look to see what I can salvage and use.

I'm saving Nectar points for goodies for Christmas day. It's £25ish and enough to get in some nice meat, cheeses and pates. That's all we do really.

It will be nice to spend Christmas without worrying about having to go to work this season. My children are 11 and 7 this year and although eldest assures me youngest still believes I can't wait till we can hand each other a gift that we have thought about ourselves. This Santa bloke gets too much credit and I really regret going down that route 11 years ago.
  • Oooh just found this thread after reading Martin's email.

My boys are in their twenties so prefer money but I still have to do the stockings with the obligatory chocolate orange! In January this year I had an LBM and bought two savings tins from card factory 99p each. Each week I put a fiver in each, up until DS2s birthday in July. I gave him his tin and put his brother's aside for his birthday next month. He is away at uni. So I will open it and pay the money into his account. I returned to card factory and bought two more tins and now add a tenner a week to each which should give them roughly 200 each for Christmas. That's the biggest expense sorted!

I have loads of wrapping paper so need cards. I have Mr TGO's parents, sister and bil and nephews presents, just need something for niece and sorted there. So my mum, Mr TGO and a couple of nephews and a niece on my side and I'm done. We don't go a bundle on Christmas food anyway - it's a jazzed up Sunday lunch so not much extra expense.
  • For all you mums on here - just came across this :)

Father Christmas - What would you like this year?

Mum - A beautiful unicorn!

Father Christmas - Be realistic

Mum - Oh, ok. I'd like to drink a hot cup of tea and go to the toilet on my own.

Father Christmas - What colour unicorn would you like?

Made me :rotfl: I remember those days well :D
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Doveling.......I love it!

Have a chest of drawers full of " stuff" for gifts....really must sort and allocate to as many people as possible

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Next batch of dried fruit for xmas cake - now on Mr T for Friday delievery x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • rdone
    rdone Posts: 569
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I need to start my Christmas cake!

We drew the Secret Santa and I got one of my brother in laws. I think I'm pretty okay with what to get him. He loves photography and marvel so I think I'll go down that route.

Bought our niece and nephews presents from toys r us yesterday and got a £10 voucher as I spent over £40 (a whole 3p to be exact!). You can use the voucher on a minimum £10 spend but has to be used by Thursday. I'm going to take back one of the items that cost £10 and then re-buy it with the voucher. A nice little £10 saving for a little inconvenience!

I'm desperate for the shopping to be done now.
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Doveling wrote: »
    For all you mums on here - just came across this :)

Father Christmas - What would you like this year?

Mum - A beautiful unicorn!

Father Christmas - Be realistic

Mum - Oh, ok. I'd like to drink a hot cup of tea and go to the toilet on my own.

Father Christmas - What colour unicorn would you like?

Made me :rotfl: I remember those days well :D

True dat!
    :rotfl:
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I just though - hmmm must add last years link into the start of the thread as there's loads of good stuff there which is useful to read back on

I'm utterly stunned to see this is actually the sixth year we've ran this thread. WOW! It got earlier and earlier, mainly so I could wind Pink up. She would ring me swearing profusely (in a funny way of course), laughing and telling me off at the same time about how it was much too early for Christmas, so i did it earlier each year to wind her up. It makes me sad to say that out loud but delighted as it's a great memory.:A I miss her an awful awful lot.

here are the links folks if you have time to kill

Christmas 2014 mega thread

Christmas 2013 mega thread

Christmas 2012 mega thread

Christmas 2011 mega thread

Christmas 2010 mega thread

this year i will not be indulging in presents. I will give the 3 kiddies i always buy for money but i'll be telling everyone else this is a no gift exchange year again. Christmas should be about yummy food, sparkly lights, a tacky tree and most importantly being with the ones you love - family and selected family (ie friends)

Okay, i've made myself cry :o. I'm away for now.:heartsmil
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills