PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cheese rind

Comments

• I keep them in the freezer and add to soups, bolognase and stews. They do make a difference and I find it increases the savory-ness (am sure thats a real word!:rotfl:)

I just have them in a bag in the door of the freezer and chuck one in. Just remember to remove it if you are blitzing the soup:eek::rotfl:
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    hotcookie - does this mean that the rind doesn't actually completely melt and disappear?
  • noapron
    noapron Posts: 120 Forumite
    There was a series on a while ago called Economy Gastronomy where the cook put Parmesan rind in soup and raved about it. I didn't know you could save it in the freezer though, so thanks for that tip. I have taken to putting Parmesan into my meatball mix, so now I'm wondering grating the rind would work as well.
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Primrose wrote: »
    hotcookie - does this mean that the rind doesn't actually completely melt and disappear?

No, it gets quite a bit smaller depending on cooking time though.
    So I'm not sure that you could use the actual rind for grating into things, it's very hard.
  • seraphina
    seraphina Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I do this and fish out what's left of the rind - it doesn't disappear entirely.

It definitely imparts a great savouriness that's especially appreciated in soups made with vegetable stocks - in fact the first time I seasoned as I usually do and got it totally wrong because of the depth of flavour given by the rind.
  • Firebird
    Firebird Posts: 253 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This sounds like a good idea. I never knew what to do with the rind other than bin it which goes against the grain. We love parmesan with just about everything so buy it on offer when I can and freeze it so I will keep the rind and add to something when we are finished.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Thank you for the tip about putting it in the freezer. I was dead chuffed with the last one I bought as it didn't have any rind at all!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Primrose wrote: »
    I've often read that melting finished Parmesan cheese rinds in soups improves their flavour and have collected a number of rinds in plastic bags in my fridge for this purpose. But the rinds do taste a little stale and manky and now the soup making season is here, wonder if anybody actually does this and whether it really does improve the flavour?

They taste fine, cut off the very outer waxy edge before use or freezing (I try to only remove a thin slice from the outer edge as you don't want the wax in your cooking).
    Add the rind to cooking then discard piece/pieces you do use before serving, they don't tend to melt but go very soft.

It just adds a light creamy slightly cheesy taste to your cooking.

Just wrap them in a little cling film and then in a freezer bag and use straight from the freezer when needed.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Primrose, the rind does not melt completely, just a bit but what it does is it becomes soft and gives out flavour (and a bit of saltiness).

Italians do this as a matter of course and when I first started living with my DH (then boyfriend) I had a memorable argument with him, because I served him soup with a piece of this cooked rind and he was really upset at biting into it, thinking it was a slug!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:We have come a long way since then!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Caterina wrote: »
    Primrose, the rind does not melt completely, just a bit but what it does is it becomes soft and gives out flavour (and a bit of saltiness).

Italians do this as a matter of course and when I first started living with my DH (then boyfriend) I had a memorable argument with him, because I served him soup with a piece of this cooked rind and he was really upset at biting into it, thinking it was a slug!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:We have come a long way since then!

I always add the parmesan rind to pasta sauce and it makes for a very flavourful dish. When i was married to my (long gone -though not deceased-ex) Italian husband, the mothers in the family also used to give the babies large chunks of parmesan rind to use as a teething tool. We did this with our son and he loved it!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family