Black Dog of Depression - can we help each other?

Comments

• tooties
    tooties Posts: 801 Forumite
    Hi everyone,
    my name it tooties and i have chronic severe unipolar depression (well thats my latest label anyway).
    i know all about the depression thread on the other board but i find it a bit touchy feely too cuddly for me (maybe thats just a personal thing though) so i would be glad to come on here and discuss coping strategies with likeminded others who suffer from this awful and very underrated disability.
    im in the process of being medically retured from work and beginning to claim benefits (what a minefield that it) and i am really struggling with the motivation to fill in these huge forms. (but thats a whole seperate thread on its own).
    anyways enough of my ramblings just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone
    kindest regards to all
    tooties
    :j
  • tatiepot
    tatiepot Posts: 48 Forumite
    Hello Tooties, Welcome Aboard,
    If you are to be retired early from work, get in touch with your local Wefare Officers they will help you with all the forms etc and it will be a weight lifted off your shoulders. They helped me an awful lot and so did this site.
    Good Luck
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    hi tooties, welcome , i went to the local disability help center , as i found the forms too hard to fill in and understand and gave me mega brain blow out. they where so helpful did all the form filling, faxed of stuff to get quick answers.phoned people on my behalf i signed over all rights to them to do this , organized tribunals and we won , never with out there help . well just spent 2 hours trying to get one song from computer to mobile phone via usb cable , i will not give in -i will not give in damn pc damn phone .... done it . so worn out, think will sleep well to night, poor black dog gone in coma lol .lamewolf i've got a light bright blue polo car which is similar to your lovely jazz .i do love it now , but sold old jeep to friend and he comes round and say oooooo your jeep is out side men !!!!! wonder why i rage, then say i leave it at home next time and come in car men !! least i can sit in it on drive way and pat it !
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • tooties wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    my name it tooties and i have chronic severe unipolar depression (well thats my latest label anyway).
    i know all about the depression thread on the other board but i find it a bit touchy feely too cuddly for me (maybe thats just a personal thing though) so i would be glad to come on here and discuss coping strategies with likeminded others who suffer from this awful and very underrated disability.
    im in the process of being medically retured from work and beginning to claim benefits (what a minefield that it) and i am really struggling with the motivation to fill in these huge forms. (but thats a whole seperate thread on its own).
    anyways enough of my ramblings just wanted to introduce myself and say hi to everyone
    kindest regards to all
    tooties
    I like this thread as I know where I am on it as it's not too big.
    I have been recently diagnosed with depression after 6 months of horrible thyroid problems.
    Had an operation to sort it but have terrible depression and SAD.
    I don't want to do anything and would stay in bed all day if it wasn't for the fact that my son calls in on his way home from work.
    Got all sorts of financial worries like alot of people anf living on Incapacity Benefit at the moment.
    I'm on anti depressants and sleeping tablets and very strong painkillers so a bit zonked out sometimes.
    The thought of finding a job fills me with fear.
    Hope you all have a peaceful and pain free day.
    NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
    Food
    £73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
    Petrol £20/£40
    Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
    Debt :eek: £18,917
  • :hello: Hi there Tooties

Welcome, I'm fairly new to this thread too. I'm sorry to hear that you have so much on your plate. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful so I'm sure you'll get lots of support and feel that you can be yourself here. I hope today is a good one for you.

As the others have suggested, perhaps you could you get some help with the benefit forms from your local CAB or advice centre? I had lots of help from them in the past. I know the motivation thing is a huge challenge but take one day at a time and try not to get angry with yourself. As you said depression is a disability, asking for help is a sign of inner strength, not a weakness. Think of how much those Benefits will make a big difference to your life.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I hope you have a good day, stick around here, there are some lovely people here :-)
  • black_paw
    damn dog wants to play and run about instead of night time basket ! getting so stressed as have IB medical on Thursday , will be half dead by the time i get there anyway , they can stretcher me in lol . very worried over this , had medical before ok but not this kind of one, don't know what to expect at all , which is the worrying thing. :eek: ahhhhhhh need group hug xxx
    <3
  • TaBunny
    TaBunny Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hey Jamla, good luck with the medical, I'm sure it will be fine but I know how these things can just exaserbate how awful we feel.

Hey Wolfie, I know exactly how you feel, the way you described needing help for practically everything but wishing and wanting to do it yourself is exactly how I am/feel.

Don't know if anyone else has experienced this but I've also noticed that I get more and more moany with OH now I'm in more pain, it's like I just can't take the little annoyances about him that I once thought were endearing. Anyway maybe that's just me.

Welcome Tooties and Bushbaby x
    :p
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Jamla very best of luck with your medical.

TaBunny yes I can be very snappy with Mr LW when the pain is bad. If I recognise that I'm getting like this, I just tell him to ignore me and not to take it personally - I'm lucky, he's a lovely man, and never, ever gets ticked off with me.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • black_paw
    Thank you for your kind comments, well feeling a little better now , and found consultant orthopaedic surgeon's report which was done on the 8 th September 2008, it explains ,he say i remain considerably disabled , he can not see any thing improving at all ,and will persist indefinitely ! oh no . he explains that i get worn out , dizzy ,ect and movement in all directions is reduced and painful ......... have suffered tonight and done photo copy to take . they need just read it and it explains all in the life of me . happy bunny now..... hope they read it ...mmmmmmm o well i tried, fingers crossed
    <3
  • black_paw
    Tabunny and lame wolf , yes my boyfriend is the same , when in pain i snap , but he seems to be aware of it coming on , normally i ask for help doing some thing its days later , when he thinks im moody , its like , i do it now for you, i go why ? iv'e be killed by you . yes right . other times when i got real bad head , he get pills put me to bed ...there- there pat , and lets him self out . bless . if we go out it's don't to any today , so we can go out tomorrow , ah bless there little cotton socks , but some day's you really want to murder them , than it's see you tomorrow !!
    <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport