Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Raffers
    • By Raffers 25th May 19, 3:17 PM
    • 118Posts
    • 56Thanks
    Raffers
    New TV freesat/humax query
    • 25th May 19, 3:17 PM
    New TV freesat/humax query 25th May 19 at 3:17 PM
    So, I'm back in the market for a new TV for the front room. Something 4K this time around. However, it's been a few years since I last bought a TV and I've got a couple of questions I'd be grateful for some help with.

Currently, I use an older 50" TV connected to a Humax 1100-S which in turn is connected to FreeSat (since I have an old Sky dish outside). All this is good and fine. However, our TV is a 7-8-year-old Panasonic thing. We don't use the TV's on-screen interface at all. It's all done via the Humax/Freesat display.

If I shell out and buy a new fancy TV, my understanding is that:

a) The TV will have a higher resolution output compared to the Humax/Freesat box
    b) These TV's generally don't allow you to record unless you rig up an external device
    c) We'd have to end up using the Humax UI a lot of the time if we are looking to record.

Essentially, I'm asking how it would work to have a new flashy TV with nice new navigation menus and even 4K Netflix/Prime, only to have to continually switch it over to Humax/Freesat every time we wanted to record stuff. The continual swapping of remote controls would be a pain also.

Am I understanding the situation right?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 25th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 22,414 Posts
    • 24,555 Thanks
    zx81
    • 25th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 25th May 19, 3:25 PM
    It's not that tricky.

You could always programme one remote to work the other device, but it's just a matter of 'pick up remote. press record, put remote down'. I even taught my mother to do it and she can't even say 'HDMI' properly.

However, one you have all the streaming services, you'll probably find you don't use the Humax box much.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 25th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 25th May 19, 5:04 PM
    • 25th May 19, 5:04 PM
    Maybe you don't need a 4K tv after all ?
    and maybe its a waste of money
    • Raffers
    • By Raffers 25th May 19, 5:28 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Raffers
    • 25th May 19, 5:28 PM
    • 25th May 19, 5:28 PM
    Maybe you're right. But that's not what I asked about.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 25th May 19, 6:29 PM
    • 34,391 Posts
    • 21,741 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 25th May 19, 6:29 PM
    • 25th May 19, 6:29 PM
    OP

a) I believe your right
    b) Thats right, I dont know of a TV that will let you record, you need a device like a Humax box to do it.
    c) Yes thats right.

Do you use the Humax box much ?

What is it you record, just examples would do or just the channels ?
    Anything on the terrestrial channels ?
    Last edited by DCFC79; 25-05-2019 at 6:34 PM.
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 25th May 19, 6:36 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    smudger1964
    • 25th May 19, 6:36 PM
    • 25th May 19, 6:36 PM
    b)I brought a lg tv with a built in freesat/freeview tuner that is supposed to be able to record via a usb stick .Its a bit hit and miss whether it records or not.It is also a bit fussy as to what usb stick it likes too
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 25th May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 25th May 19, 6:40 PM
    b)I brought a lg tv with a built in freesat/freeview tuner that is supposed to be able to record via a usb stick .Its a bit hit and miss whether it records or not.It is also a bit fussy as to what usb stick it likes too
    Originally posted by smudger1964

Or a hard drive. It's not fussy it just need to hit the requirements of being USB 3.

Only a single tuner though (with freeview/freesat(and non freesat mode for more channels) choice).

Everything's on the catch up apps though. And the netflix/prime buttons are the ones that will wear out firsT!
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 25th May 19, 6:40 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    OP

a) I believe your right
    b) Thats right, I dont know of a TV that will let you record, you need a device like a Humax box to do it.
    c) Yes thats right.

Do you use the Humax box much ?

What is it you record, just examples would do or just the channels ?
    Anything on the terrestrial channels ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79

Loads of current TV's allow you to record the channel from internal tuner(s) you are viewing to a USB device. So a separate PVR is usually preferable.
    Last edited by Inner Zone; 25-05-2019 at 6:46 PM.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 25th May 19, 6:42 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 25th May 19, 6:42 PM
    • 25th May 19, 6:42 PM
    Originally posted by smudger1964

USB HDD's are normally more reliable than USB memory sticks for recording.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 25th May 19, 6:43 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    Or a hard drive. It's not fussy it just need to hit the requirements of being USB 3.

Only a single tuner though (with freeview/freesat(and non freesat mode for more channels) choice).

Everything's on the catch up apps though. And the netflix/prime buttons are the ones that will wear out firsT!
    Originally posted by Carrot007

USB 2 is usually fine for most capable TV's, the extra speed of USB 3 is not required.
    • Raffers
    • By Raffers 25th May 19, 7:03 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Raffers
    Predominantly, the stuff that gets recorded is Soaps (blame the wife). I realise that these could mostly be accessed via respective catchups. I'm just trying to understand the dynamic of having the Humax box for recording and constantly flicking between that and the main TV interface. I'm guessing the TV interface will be slicker and more modern. The Humax/Freesat is fine, but a little laggy. Would also be good to just have the one remote.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 25th May 19, 9:08 PM
    • 34,391 Posts
    • 21,741 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Predominantly, the stuff that gets recorded is Soaps (blame the wife). I realise that these could mostly be accessed via respective catchups. I'm just trying to understand the dynamic of having the Humax box for recording and constantly flicking between that and the main TV interface. I'm guessing the TV interface will be slicker and more modern. The Humax/Freesat is fine, but a little laggy. Would also be good to just have the one remote.
    Originally posted by Raffers
    But an remote that will replace both remotes,one 4 all I think is a good brand, Logitech Harmony is another albeit a little pricey.
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 25th May 19, 9:54 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    Originally posted by Raffers
    I use mine with a Sky+ HD box and rarely use the TV's own built-in FreeView tuner. I do use the other apps though like Netflix and iPlayer. I just use the TV's own remote for that, and the Sky remote the rest of the time. It's not a problem.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • toothdoctor
    • By toothdoctor 25th May 19, 10:07 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    toothdoctor
    The problem with terrestrial catch up services (iplayer excluded) is that they are in standard definition which look rubbish on a 4K set and also have adverts. Switching remotes is no hardship
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 26th May 19, 9:40 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,518 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    The problem with terrestrial catch up services (iplayer excluded) is that they are in standard definition which look rubbish on a 4K set and also have adverts. Switching remotes is no hardship
    Originally posted by toothdoctor

I realise it's not money saving but ITV Hub+ through Amazon Channels is HD and ITV catchup is / was on Sky Q.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 28th May 19, 12:06 PM
    • 7,890 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    almillar
    Wrong. Plenty of catch up material is in HD (720+). If you're watching Dad's Army and expecting 4k quality from it, don't!

OP, you're right in your assumptions. Your recoding box is HD, and the broadcasts are HD at best. It'll be the same quality through your TV directly. The lagginess etc might be annoying but an external PVR, like you have now, is still the best solution for recording, in my opinion.
    • toothdoctor
    • By toothdoctor 1st Jun 19, 7:32 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    toothdoctor
    Itv hub, All 4, my5/demand 5 I'm sorry is not HD. BBC iplayer is hd and does the occasional 4K/UHD stream
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Jun 19, 7:46 AM
    • 4,132 Posts
    • 2,385 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Itv hub, All 4, my5/demand 5 I'm sorry is not HD. BBC iplayer is hd and does the occasional 4K/UHD stream
    Originally posted by toothdoctor
    I think you possibly don't know what HD means:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-definition_television#Pixel_aspect_ratio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television#Display_resolutions

This may be dependant on platform but on TV's I don't think any of them drops below 720p which is where HD starts.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 1st Jun 19, 7:53 AM
    • 6,243 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Only i player catch up is any good, the rest no HD, no subtitles, and you cant ff thru the ads.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 1st Jun 19, 8:17 AM
    • 12,108 Posts
    • 13,621 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    The OP has stated that their existing TV is 50", so it's a reasonable assumption that their new one will be 50"+. In which case they will be looking for 1080 (p/i) content, where it's available.

A lot of catch-up material is 720p and at that screen size, the difference may be apparent. It's also very content dependent, though. Police Interceptors (low-res in-car footage, poor lighting) on My5 won't look great, whereas Westworld on Now TV looks very sharp, even though they are both 720p.

I'm wondering based on the comments in the thread whether the OP would derive greater televisual satisfaction from a more up to date Freesat recorder with built-in catch-up, Netflix & Amazon rather than replacing the TV. That would remain a 1 remote solution, too.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

412Posts Today

4,735Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin