Electricity change

My electricity supplier requested a home reading, on my meter there are always 3 sets of numbers, when i fill in the online reading it has stated, 'not read properly we will estimate your bill'. I finally got round to calling my provider, i know i have economy 7 and tried to make my usage at night as much as possible. On speaking to the very helpful customer services, i was informed that if i didn't have storage heaters it was a waste of time being on E7 as there is no advantage, my provider said i should change my meter and i was given a range of cheaper tariffs.

When the new meter was being fitted, the fitter stated that my provider would have known that i did not use the E7 to its advantage, (this should be at least 23% usage at night apparently). My new rate is half of what i used to pay, a big saving i was very surprised, surely i should i have told...

My question is if my provider knew i was being overcharged for the last 20 years am i entitled to any compensation?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    i was informed that if i didn't have storage heaters it was a waste of time being on E7 as there is no advantage,

That is very simplistic and would often be wrong. Heating appliances are not the only things that can utilise timed power. We have E7 and dont have storage heaters. Yet use abouta 1/3rd of our power during the cheap rate and that is enough to make E7 cheaper.
    My question is if my provider knew i was being overcharged for the last 20 years am i entitled to any compensation?

The tariff you are on is your choice. Not the provider.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,140 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sharon51 wrote: »
    Most gas and electricity providers rely on customer inertia, that their customers don't shop around for the best tariff. This is not currently viewed as an unfair practice so no compensation is payable. You might be advised to keep records in case things change in the future.
    Reed
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You haven't been overcharged - the supplier has no idea what you use your leccy for, it's up to you to decide how best to manage your consumption and decide which tariff will be most appropriate.

Some suppliers will give you advice if you ask them but they aren't clairvoyant.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Just a few comments in bold ...

sharon51 wrote: »
    My electricity supplier requested a home reading, on my meter there are always 3 sets of numbers,

Probably (?) day/night/total?

when i fill in the online reading it has stated, 'not read properly we will estimate your bill'. I finally got round to calling my provider, i know i have economy 7 and tried to make my usage at night as much as possible. On speaking to the very helpful customer services, i was informed that if i didn't have storage heaters it was a waste of time being on E7 as there is no advantage,

as said, only you know how many day & night units you use, so you can do the sums

my provider said i should change my meter and i was given a range of cheaper tariffs.

When the new meter was being fitted
    but it seems that you have gone off E7 anyway, so he above is not relevant

, the fitter stated that my provider would have known that i did not use the E7 to its advantage, (this should be at least 23% usage at night apparently). My new rate is half of what i used to pay, a big saving i was very surprised, surely i should i have told...

See other's comments
  • J_B
    moremore wrote: »
    I am seriously considering having prepaid electric meter installed but pay by direct debit as it only way to show how much I use as I live in block of flats.
    My present provider is SSE and their cost have gone up to 256.kWh at 17.31p - £44.31 Standing charge 46.days at 21.83p £10.04 I understand they also installed pre paid meters which I will be discussing with them tomorrow fingers crossed.

?

ten characters
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You won't get an answer now. Clearly the responses were not what the OP wanted to hear and rather than be polite and respond, they have not bothered to thank people for their time.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • texter
    texter Posts: 36 Forumite
    J_B wrote: »
    ?

ten characters

>

ten characters
  • J_B
    texter wrote: »
    >

ten characters

Confused dot com.

I replied to a post, it's still there in my quote ... but it's not there anywhere else!

:(
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    That confused me too.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure