O2 New Retention Tariff Discount 500 / Discount 750

Comments

• Hi,

For the last 11months or so, I have been on the O2 Discount 500 tariff for £15 per month. For those of you who don't know, it was the one where you get 500 anyone anytime minutes and 400 texts. I also got the K750i last year for free. Well, with a bit of hassle. First call I didn't get a great deal. Second call, I got the deal I said above. Yet later they tried to go back on the free phone and tried to charge me £29.99 for it. After e-mailing Peter Erskine, I was refunded that money.

I am just wondering what I should expect to get this year. Obviously those of us who have been on a discounted tariff for at least a year now don't have as high a spend as those who are on a normal tariff - due to the fact we were offered the discount. I would expect that this would not be a problem when negotiating a new deal.

What I would like is at very least the same deal for the same price and the K800i for free. Should they be able to offer me this? I will be calling up around the start of October as I did last year. If I can get better, then I'd obviously prefer that. Say for instance, I would like 500 texts as opposed to 400 and the same amount of minutes (wouldn't complain if I got even more though) for at most £15 again. But even better would be if they reduced that to £10, as I know some people last year managed that. Still obviously with the K800i for free.

How should I approach this when calling them up this year? Also, should I mention the fact that they have messed me around almost every month for the last 11months by constantly getting my bill wrong and I am fed up with it? Would this count in my favour? If in the end they do not offer me something I deem to be acceptable, would e-mailing Peter Erskine again be a good idea?

Any ideas, experiences and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graham.
  • @graham17

i was in a very similar position to you, discount 500 for £10 per month last year (was meant to be 15 but they underbilled me). Because my monthly spend was low the best they could do the k800i for this year was £70 and i was allowed to stay on my tarriff. So unless your monthly spend is high i doubt you will get the k800i for free until they drop the upgrade prices.

I mentioned i'd had loads of billing problems but it didn't help. I took the Samsung E900 for free instead and ebayed it for £170 as i am happy with my k750i

Good luck
  • Been with O2 for a couple of years now and only got a spend on contract of £19.99 a month...

Last year to stay i got 200mins and 500 txts for £19.99 and paid £79 for the K750i for the wife.

As she uses the camera a lot we wanted the K800i Cybershot so got that for £79 however as the txts last year were wasted we got 400 mins and 150 txts a month for the grand total of £15 a month...

Was offered 300 mins and 1000 txts but choose the more minutes option.

Just polite with the young lady and made no excessive demands....

Mark
  • 2makeit
    2makeit Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i contacted o2-they offered , £75 credit(if i kept my handset),
    12 month contract
    -400 mins
    100 txts
    free calls Sat/Sun/Mon for 6 months
    £35/month

not very happy as have seen others with better deals, so a phone call might be needed otherwise its changing time.

What about sim only cards deals?
    need to do better
  • 2makeit wrote:
    i contacted o2-they offered , £75 credit(if i kept my handset),
    -400 mins
    100 txts
    free calls Sat/Sun/Mon
    £35/month

not very happy as have seen others with better deals, so a phone call might be needed otherwise its changing time.

What about sim only cards deals?

That is an o2 retail tarrif and you should be able to do better than that. Say youve been offered 500mins/500texts for £20 on orange and see what they say
  • 02 Retention Tariffs not including MMS?
    Hi,

I had my contract renewed after being put through to O2 retentions, I have been with o2 for about 3/4 years now and they have always managed (after persuading) to give me a good deal. I currently pay £15 a month for 500 anytime anynetwork minutes and 400 texts.

I have a always had MMS, but all of a sudden i could not send or receive any MMS, so i queried it with O2 and they have told me I will have to upgrade my tariff to get this feature. Although i have always had access to use MMS before and they did not mention they were taking this facility away when i renewed by contract.

Has anyone else had this problem? I only send a few MMS every few weeks or even months, and i get a view sent to me, which i now can not even recieve!

I have a Sony Ericsson K750, which has always been able to send / receive MMS before.

Rachel
  • Just had a word with O2 Online Retentions and they have told me that the Discount 500 and 750 tariffs have been discontinued and are only available if you are already on them and are upgrading to them again....

Again, it's just what one sales lady said, so perhaps someone could confirm this...but I thought I should post the info anyway...
  • I wish I had seen this thread a while ago. I have never heard about o2 retentions and have been with them for about 5 years.

Normally I would cancel my o2 contract and order another using one of the new customer online tariffs.

I have searched around for a while and thought switching to the 3 network would be the best option. They have good add ons, lots of texts and the phone I wanted is free.

I called o2 today and asked for my PAC code and the operator asked why I was cancelling. I reeled off the 3 tariff and she said she would better it. Initially, I didn't want to be put on the spot and be tempted by a nice sounding deal. When she told me what the offer was I considered sticking with o2 and then decided it would be the better option. After reading this thread I wish I would have tried to get the price down.

I am currently on 500 texts 100 minutes for £25pm. My last bill was nearly £60 and I have had my k700 for 2 years.

She offered me...
    900 texts
    500 any network minutes
    All unused texts/minutes carried over
    12 month contract
    for £20pm.

I have to pay £79.99 for the k800i but I should get that for selling my other phone.

I am very pleased with this offer but forgot to ask how much wap/media message allowance i get. Anyone on a similar contract that knows?
  • Just had a word with O2 Online Retentions and they have told me that the Discount 500 and 750 tariffs have been discontinued and are only available if you are already on them and are upgrading to them again....

Again, it's just what one sales lady said, so perhaps someone could confirm this...but I thought I should post the info anyway...

Go to o2.co.uk they are still there but I believe that they will be updating there online tariffs next month... about the 16th this to being new tariffs for more internet usage and long weekend goes to the online customers that up grade!!!

( this is all what I was told when I was having a moan about not being able to have long weekends)
  • Last September I bought an XDA 2i (£100) and £30/mo O2 200 contract in-store (I was told it would be o2 online 200 but I got messed about).

In the past 12 months I've had loads of problems, but I rang up today to speak to someone about my upgrade options, said I was very dissatisfied with the service and prior offer I'd received (£100 credit or 'one of these (!!!!e) phones'). I got put through to the 'special upgrades department'... Which I'm not sure if that's the Retentions department or another department, the bloke didn't mention which department it was (or if he did, he mumbled it, because I was specifically listening for 'hello you're through to o2 retentions")... But yeah. Basically, I said, I've had loads of problems from o2 in the past year, I'm a reliable customer, always pay my bills on time, never had any problems from me and I've had to go around sorting the mess that other people have made to my account, I should be offered better deals than what I've been given.

In short, I was told that it's my choice should I want to quit, but the best they could offer me was half-price tarriff and 100 quid credit or a new phone which would be something like a z400 (RUBBISH!), a w610 (also rubbish!) or a motorola razr z3im which apparently has itunes and 512mb of memory... All rubbish, they're obviously looking to clear out stock in preparation for new models.

I spoke to the bloke for a good half an hour, I couldn't get him to budge at ALL - and I reeled off other contracts and how I could get a better deal with Orange (and yes I had been contacted by Orange with a deal) - he was pretty much a hardliner when it came to flexibility, he wasn't going to budge at all and the offers he gave me were awful. I just said give me a PAC code, I'm going to Orange.

I dunno if I was unlucky and got someone who just wanted to go home, but I got an awful offer. My mate's going to ring up and try to get a better offer for me tomorrow (he's got the gift of the gab) but I dunno... Just awful. If anybody has any advice or better ways of getting a half-decent deal out of O2, please tell me!

First post now endeth :) All advice welcome! :/
    !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family