Kitchen/Dining Room Knock Through

We are in the process of moving house, we are due to exchange and complete by the end of the month/beginning of July. We want to knock through the kitchen/dining room before we get settled in but literally have no idea how much to expect in terms of costs! We have been told a number of different things. We plan to:

Knock through kitchen/dining room wall (I don't think it needs an RSJ)
Close up current dining room door
Open up dining room/lounge archway (not fully, but wider than it is)
Fit new kitchen
Re-plaster where needed
Lay new flooring (hallway, dining and kitchen)

Obviously prices will depend on location and other factors, but if anyone has done anything similar and is happy to share their experience, that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• This is probably too late but I'm really interested this because I'm doing something very similar too!!
    I've been quoted £3000 to knock down internal non load bearing wall, close up current living room door with skim and plaster and lay new laminate flooring which requires 2 radiators being moved + remove and install a gas fireplace.

Did you get the work done? Would you mind telling me how much you've been quoted/paid? I don't know if I'm being overcharged!
    Thanks
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Zoe_Hill wrote: »
    Knock through kitchen/dining room wall (I don't think it needs an RSJ)

For heavens sake, get a structural engineer to check first. It may not be structural in so much as supporting a load from above, but it could be providing lateral support to the walls either side. You would still need to make contact with building control. If the wall is not structural, they may well not need to be involved, but check before doing any work.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure