No buying unnecessary toiletries May 2019

Comments

• InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 May 2019 at 10:59PM
    asajj wrote: »
    I got my re-usable cotton pads from this company but on Etsy!
    I haven't tried making my own body scrub - what do i need to do that?

Also uu'ed Elvive Nourishing conditioner and Lee Stafford Miracle Heat Defense Spray. I wondered this morning what is in these sprays to defend my hair from the heat?

Small world! :p I must say that the lady on their stall at the vegan fair was extremely nice and very informative! :T

Body scrubs are so easy to make it's scandalous: take some sugar or salt (salts are generally considered better as there are minerals in them that are good for the skin), an oil of some sort for the liquid part (olive is good - I would probably avoid coconut in case it solidifies in your pipes in cold weather), some fragrance (essential oils, lemon juice/rind), mix and stick in a container. Check out YouTube for actual recipes and measurements, but they all basically work along those lines.

The ones I have made have been REALLY scrubby and have cost pennies to make. It makes you wonder how the companies get away charging the prices that they do for them, really.

Heat sprays: someone mentioned that it's mostly water. I'm not sure how true it is. I prefer to think it's unicorn tears. ;)
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    [STRIKE]Elemis Sea Lavender and Samphire Shower milk[/STRIKE]
    OPI Original Nail Envy
    The Body Shop Chamomile Cleansing Butter
    [STRIKE]ABC Tea Tree body lotion[/STRIKE]
    Elemis Balancing Lime Blossom Cleanser
    Lacura Q10 night cream
    Lacura Q10 night serum
    [STRIKE]Primark Mandarin & Basil perfume[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Bath and Body Works Vanilla Bean Noel hand cream[/STRIKE]
    Philosophy Purity cleanser (deluxe sample)

Finish 7 by Summer:-
    Benefit Lemon Aid
    Urban Decay Darkhorse
    NARS Outlaw blush
    NARS Gilda blush
    [STRIKE]MAC Lost Invite mini lipgloss[/STRIKE]
    OPI Tickle my Francey
    [STRIKE]Philosophy Pure Grace[/STRIKE]

Philosophy Pure Grace gone. Used as a room spray in the end. Would repurchase but at a time when I can use it quite quickly.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    One UU this morning:

La Roche Posay Hydreane Legere Moisturiser 40ml WDBA and have done. Essentially, it's my HG moisturiser. Not too light, not too heavy. My skin reacts very well to this :)
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    2 INS. Been to Superdrug to get replacement ELF concealer - wand is coming out fairly dry - and setting spray. Want to try setting spray with my Smashbox shimmery eyeshadows as they seem quite faded and I don't always pick up shimmer on my brush.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    One IN today:

Elemis Pro-Collagen Cleansing Balm 20g

I took advantage of the £5 offer they had on, I've always wanted to try this.
  • out aldi baby wash it was glycerin rich and had no sls detergents. It was lovely and would buy again as it was cheap but really effective. It comes in on specials only

IN clinque turnaround moisturiser.

In new real techniques lip brush with lid. they are great. I have one already but want to have one on the go. I like to apply red lipstick with it and use up the base of the lipstick. It is amazing how much is able to be salvaged.

I was going to toss out the used sugar scrub container but I decided to keep it and make my own.
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    One IN today, I had 5 black pots from Lush so exchanged them for an Angels on Bare Skin Cleanser in the Lush Naked shop in Manchester - it's really good that you can do that as I am not a huge fan of the fresh face masks I just never end up using them!
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    uu

Liz Earle Skin Repair Normal/Combination 50ml - I really like this and have another in the stash, I do wonder if the dry version might be better for me but am reluctant to buy one just in case it is too rich, my skin has got a bit drier and is more normal/dry now.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    InaPickle wrote: »
    Just to put it out there, I'm not vegan and probably never can be due to health reasons, but I certainly don't think that there needs to be cruelty in beauty. :)

I totally agree and being vegan/or trying is definitely not a black and white process IMO, I am not a militant vegan in the slightest, just feel I mention it on here a lot when justifying what I bought :p

CN - menstruation - - -

I recommend Firdal&Frost on etsy for cloth pads they are definitely the best quality ones I personally have tried if you want to support a person making them rather than a company. I tend to use clothpads half of the time but aspire to only use them, they are definitely good enough to do so depending on where you got them from. I was interested in the Thinx underwear but I have heard bad things about them not lasting very long/leaking. I think it is worth getting one cloth pad and switching it in and seeing how it fairs/how you get along with it.
    Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure