PC Gaming VS Console Gaming - What's your opinion

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 December 2018 at 6:08PM
    Dandytf wrote: »
    I've re visited both PS4 slim+XboxoneS
    Cost wise both were excellent value though I'm not convinced that the games are progressing as much.

Although I didn;t go ahead with a planned i3 build during 2018.
    I find myself re considering a new pc build during 2019.
    Hopfuly costs have settled slightly as RAM was extortionate last year.
    Think I'll consider Ryzen 5 -maybe an RX....gpu (need to read up on the AMD type gpu's -not going high end more medium around 200 pounds mark.
    I'll continue to read these forums with interest.

You're revisiting 5 year old consoles.....

You need to be looking at an XBox One X - which has been available for just over £300 recently - for console / console games progression.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    You're revisiting 5 year old consoles.....

You need to be looking at an XBox One X - which has been available for just over £300 recently - for console / console games progression.

Agreed I had been intentionally late purchases of consoles past few years until early 2018.
    I avoided Xbox one x at the time of One s purchase only on cost at that time.
    Since re considering p.c. Though my build specs are exceeding 1.2k I'll avoid that idea.
    Since considering pre buil entry level MSI i5 8400 (I think) 8GB ram 2tb hdd
    Again on the basis of cost and with option of upgrading ram if and when required some time later and probably add small ssd drive.
    MSI Infinite 8RB Intel® Core i5 GTX 1050 Ti Gaming PC - 2 TB HDD
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 December 2018 at 9:49AM
    Agreed I had been intentionally late purchases of consoles past few years until early 2018.
    I avoided Xbox one x at the time of One s purchase only on cost at that time.
    Since re considering p.c. Though my build specs are exceeding 1.2k I'll avoid that idea.
    Since considering pre buil entry level MSI i5 8400 (I think) 8GB ram 2tb hdd
    Again on the basis of cost and with option of upgrading ram if and when required some time later and probably add small ssd drive.
    MSI Infinite 8RB Intel® Core i5 GTX 1050 Ti Gaming PC - 2 TB HDD

Funnily i had done similar over the last year or two having bought a PS4 slim and a One S. I never got that engaged with them and sold them on quite quickly.

Bought an X in October though and its been great. I've been fortunate enough to be able to connect it to a 55 inch 4K TV and a 100W Sony sound bar in my study and its just amazing. I've a nice big comfy two seater sofa in there too.

Well pleased. Amazing piece of kit and can be got with some cracking game bundles which means the console can be costing around £300. XBox Live is great value too at £7.99 a month and thats getting you 100+ games which is more than i'll ever need.
  • Dandytf
    motorguy wrote: »
    Funnily i had done similar over the last year or two having bought a PS4 slim and a One S. I never got that engaged with them and sold them on quite quickly.

Bought an X in October though and its been great. I've been fortunate enough to be able to connect it to a 55 inch 4K TV and a 100W Sony sound bar in my study and its just amazing. I've a nice big comfy two seater sofa in there too.

Well pleased. Amazing piece of kit and can be got with some cracking game bundles which means the console can be costing around £300. XBox Live is great value too at £7.99 a month and thats getting you 100+ games which is more than i'll ever need.

Enjoy x box X nice setup with 4K t.v.

I hope i58400 and Nvidia 1050 or 1060 gpu runs some games at decent refresh rate though if it's close to 1080p at medium to high setttings I'll be happy.
    Plenty time to decide until q1 2019 or if I can be more patient I could add some more funds q2 2019 maybe during summer.
    Even @799 without monitor costs are still considerably high considering pace of gpu versions.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I like both console gaming and PC gaming, but out of the two, i much prefer gaming on the PC.

I've had most of this gaming PC now for over 7 years now. The only part i've really changed is the graphics card and some superficial stuff like extra hard drives. I spent a fair bit on it for (what i consider) good branded parts and it seems it was a good investment as virtually no issues ever and still runs the latest games are high graphics.

A few years ago i had a PS4 and although it's a great console, i didn't play it much and eventually sold it.

More recently i've bought an Xbox one but it's kinda in the same boat and rarely gets used. (PS4 was better IMO)

Consoles make online gaming easier and more affordable but on a good PC the games will almost always run smoother and have more detail and the games are often cheaper to buy on it as well.

Unlike consoles where when a new version comes out, it makes a lot of the previous generation console games obsolete as they won't run on it, i've had my Steam account on the PC for about 15 years and all the games i used to play back then still work now.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Dandytf
    edited 1 January 2019 at 1:08PM
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    I like both console gaming and PC gaming, but out of the two, i much prefer gaming on the PC.

I've had most of this gaming PC now for over 7 years now. The only part i've really changed is the graphics card and some superficial stuff like extra hard drives. I spent a fair bit on it for (what i consider) good branded parts and it seems it was a good investment as virtually no issues ever and still runs the latest games are high graphics.

A few years ago i had a PS4 and although it's a great console, i didn't play it much and eventually sold it.

More recently i've bought an Xbox one but it's kinda in the same boat and rarely gets used. (PS4 was better IMO)

Consoles make online gaming easier and more affordable but on a good PC the games will almost always run smoother and have more detail and the games are often cheaper to buy on it as well.

Unlike consoles where when a new version comes out, it makes a lot of the previous generation console games obsolete as they won't run on it, i've had my Steam account on the PC for about 15 years and all the games i used to play back then still work now.

Nice Commodore logo
    Care to advise if a decent i58400 range cpu+ either Nvidia gtx1050ti or 1060 6 gb gpu is comparable with Xbox or PS4 graphics.
    I also owned xbox oneS+PS4 slim white for some time before selling via e-bay.
    I'm since planning return to p.c. Though I need a decent affordable p.c. As I cannot afford to go as much as Nvidia 18080 gpu and cpu I think will be i5 range at best.
    Though Ryzen is tempting I think I'll go safer bet with Intel
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Nice Commodore logo
    Care to advise if a decent i58400 range cpu+ either Nvidia gtx1050ti or 1060 6 gb gpu is comparable with Xbox or PS4 graphics.
    I also owned xbox oneS+PS4 slim white for some time before selling via e-bay.
    I'm since planning return to p.c. Though I need a decent affordable p.c. As I cannot afford to go as much as Nvidia 18080 gpu and cpu I think will be i5 range at best.
    Though Ryzen is tempting I think I'll go safer bet with Intel

Thank you!

If you're looking to play at 1080 i think you'll be absolutely fine with that, but would opt for a 1060 over a 1050 even if it is a ti version

My processor just now is an i5 2500k and it was released early 2011. It has an aggressive overclock on it (3.7Ghz to 4.5Ghz) and it's had that active the best part of 7 years now. Although AMD can offer great value for performance and i ran AMD for best part of a decade previously Intels generally run cooler and should last longer. The additional cores from most of the AMD range is unneeded for gaming as it's very rare any game utilises more than 4.

Even though it's an old processor because games are much more intensive on the graphics card vs the processor it still does really well in modern games.
    So in short, a modern i5, will be more than enough for most games for sure. The i7's might offer a lot better performance in other areas of the PC such as file compression and video editing stuff but in games it's negligible at best.

I think with that Graphics card you will be able to achieve at least the same level of detail on the graphics than the PS4 / Xbox one but with much better frame rates
    All your base are belong to us.
  • I'd say PC gaming is alot better for hardcore games (MOBAs, MMORPGs, strategy games) whereas console gaming is better for more casual gaming, playing "blockbuster" AAA games, sports games, and beat em ups. FPS games are somewhere in the middle albeit favoring PC more, they're definitely much better and more natural to play on PC because of the keyboard/mouse superiority but this is traded off with a smaller FPS gamer base on PC for the big AAA FPS games (e.g. COD, Battlefield) and there being more issues around hackers ruining FPS' on PC.

You do get overlaps, but I think the above generally holds true. I personally play alot of PC and console games, but think the PC is better overall as I find MOBAs/MMORPGs to be better games than other genres.
  • I built my PC in 2013, only a few months ago I upgraded the graphics.
    Even then it was not the latest GPU (waited for the price crash on the 1080) and I have kept everything else the same.

Even without the upgrade It was equal or exceeding min to recommended spec and would of lasted a few more years.

Only more recently I had started turning graphics down to 1080p (from 1440p) on some newer games which is what made me update.

VR was not even available when I made my PC nearly 6 Years ago and requires a decent spec today, yet my PC was already above what was required.

Buy decent and it will last a long time, buy cheap/mid range and it will not. And I do not mean extreme £800-£1400 on a CPU . I am still running a I7 4770k on a stock clock.
    Even that was an upgrade from an i7 950 from 2009 which a friend of mine is still using today.

Do not be fooled into thinking consoles are a one stop shop, the PS4 pro replaced the under powered PS4. yes they can play all games but they reduce quality to do that.
    The original PS4 is know to drop down as low as 720p and the "pro" to 1080p (while being advertised as 4K). As well as releasing games and patching them to lower quality as they struggle for frames.
    With the rumored PS5 and 3 Microsoft consoles in the works my PC could potentially see out the life of 4/5 console generations.

I do own a PC, Gaming Laptop, Oculus Rift, XB1S and a PS4.
  • Dandytf
    edited 2 January 2019 at 8:23PM
    Thanks mser's
    With no modern time pc home use other than office.
    I did have a very short trial of Eve online which ran reasonably well from i5 mabook 13.1 (512ssd +1gg gpu-integrated)
    I could re visit Eve online also had a quick shot of Call of duty though Advanced warfare on consoles wasn't gripping enough.
    Noticed there is going to be FFXIV -online MMRPG-this could be interesting.
    Could re visit Sim CIty build it ( I spent hours on 2000)
    Maybe there is 'builder' type games during 2019 to build up people trade or towns/maybe light strategy type games.
    I honestly think returning to p.c. Could be fun though I'll need to avoid dx266 1st build error years ago when I didn't plug in risers correctly with m/board and case though it did boot to bios when I couldn't install win95 as I didn't have boot up floppy .

Are mser's agreed then i5 8400 nvideagtx1060 3 or 6gb
    8 or 16 gb ram
    450 0t 500 cpu
    128nvme m.2 ssd
    1tb seagate. Hdd
    Case/monitor/keyboard mouse t.b.c
    Win10 usb-Amazing this could be plug and play from boot
    I have the parts listed from Scan uk
    I could save a small fortune if initially:-
    I purchase 1060 3gb (not 6gb) gpu
    I purchase 8GB 2666 ddr4 ram (not 16gb)
    Is above savings going to make some gaming slow and unreponsive or could I make use until I can upgrade later in 2019 or next year.
    Almost forgot to ask is todays costs reasonable or are pc components at a higher rate lately -is there any reason to delay this build until q2 or later-if so when until and why
    (I have a few days last week Jan I'll only order if I'm not jumping ahead)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure