Welcome to the WALES board

Glad
Glad Posts: 18,864 Senior Ambassador
Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
...welcome all and especially any new visitors linking from the email :)

don't forget to look at the main site and Martin's articles here

and the rest of the chat forum here
I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    :beer: Hello, Glad. Daft as I am I always look out for other Taffs in The MoneySavers' Arms. I did post a question on 'where are you in Wales". No answer yet, but can someone tell me why are Llanelli-ites called Turks?

My great-grandfather was a Swansea Jack, who moved to The Rhondda, but I've never heard of Llanelli Turks before that thread.

Pol
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Hi there Polly
    I have gone into the thread and posted an answer for you, hope it makes sense to you..............scarletslady.
  • ksl44
    ksl44 Posts: 4 Newbie
    as for swansea jacks, im ashamed to admit that despite living in swansea all my life i still dont know where this term comes from!!
    any info??
    thanks! xx
  • Apparently Swansea Jack was a dog made famous years ago by rescuing some 27 people from Swansea harbour / River Tawe after hearing their cries for help. Swansea Jack was awarded cups and medals for his efforts!!!

Hope this helps

R x
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Hi everyone

I am from Torfaen also known as Gwent or Monmouthshire, in South Wales.

Good to meet you.:beer:
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • WELSH-DRAGON_2
    WELSH-DRAGON_2 Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hiya I'm from Barry !

Welshy x
    ;) I am the only Voucher Queen in my village LOL ;)
  • Ladybirds
    Ladybirds Posts: 87 Forumite
    ksl44 wrote: »
    as for swansea jacks, im ashamed to admit that despite living in swansea all my life i still dont know where this term comes from!!
    any info??
    thanks! xx
    Well shame onn you LOL. There are many theories. the most famous is about the dog who saved a mans life when he fell into the docks in Swansea. The dog jumped in and brought the man to safety.
    There used to be a pub near the quadrant called the swansea jack with a picture of the dog on the sign outside. (not sure if its still there)
    Others claim that the derivation is from the nickname given to Swansea's sailors, who had a reputation as skilled and dependable mariners.
    Another theory is that the coal miners of nearby coalfields called the miners from Swansea "Jacks" because their lunch-boxes were uniquely made of Swansea tin and called Jacks

So I leave it up to you to decide which story you want to run with :beer:
  • Ladybirds
    Ladybirds Posts: 87 Forumite
    pollypenny wrote: »
    :beer: Hello, Glad. Daft as I am I always look out for other Taffs in The MoneySavers' Arms. I did post a question on 'where are you in Wales". No answer yet, but can someone tell me why are Llanelli-ites called Turks?

My great-grandfather was a Swansea Jack, who moved to The Rhondda, but I've never heard of Llanelli Turks before that thread.

Pol

Lots of Turkish POWs were put to work in Llanelli docks and since then they were known as the Llanelli Turks the name has stuck and now all the people in Llanelli are nicknamed Turks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure