Clutter free gifts / stocking fillers??!

Comments

• ruthyjo
    ruthyjo Posts: 483 Forumite
    I don't let my children drink pop most of the time so a bottle/can of pop is a big stocking treat to them. Usually buy an obscure/vile looking flavour which they seem ot like.

I also buy novelty food that we don't generally have - choc dips, iced gems, red laces etc - because at least they don't hang around for long. I probably sound like a real scrooge but the children have plenty of stuff and are generally thrilled with such edible bits because of the rarity value in our house.

I also like GBA/ds games. We only play hand held consoles on long car journeys but at least the games take up next to no space.
  • tee_pee_2
    tee_pee_2 Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    ASDA mag is full of ideas and bit and pieces for stocking fillers for less than £5
  • Mikki wrote:
    The kids have so much stuff already, and I don't want to add to the clutter with more little bits and bobs around the place. However, I don't want them to miss out on the fun of finding a stuffed stocking at the end of their beds!

Ram it full of newspaper. Cheap, educational, colourful, recyclable, and will certainly give the 'stuffed stocking' effect.
  • I usually put in nice food treats too - so that's sweets and chocolate! last year they got cocoa pop straws too! and of course a chocolate orange

and a new toothbrush and tube of toothpaste :)
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    I do knicks, socks, bobbles, clips, chocolate Santas etc. Anything that they 'need' gets given by Santa, anything that's of value gets given by us so that they have a sense of worth.
    ruthyjo wrote:
    I don't let my children drink pop most of the time so a bottle/can of pop is a big stocking treat to them. Usually buy an obscure/vile looking flavour which they seem to like.

I also buy novelty food that we don't generally have - choc dips, iced gems, red laces etc - because at least they don't hang around for long. I probably sound like a real scrooge but the children have plenty of stuff and are generally thrilled with such edible bits because of the rarity value in our house.

I also like GBA/ds games. We only play hand held consoles on long car journeys but at least the games take up next to no space.

:rotfl: I'm pinching that idea!!!! My Daughter was going to a party tonight, her questions were "what am I wearing?" and "so can I have ANY drink I want apart from Coke?????". She'll be getting a small bottle of Fanta in her stocking (not feeling generous enough for Coke or blue stuff!) :D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• she_grinch
    she_grinch Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Apart from the ideas already mentioned, my daughters are all in their teens so I also add things like stamps , envelopes and note pads, Bath bombs, hair mousse, gel etc, disposable cameras, ear phones for ipods, sachets of wash in/out hair colour, craft items, and Santa always brings toothbrush and toastie socks. Hope these ideas help and I,m watching out for ideas for men,s/teenage boys stocking fillers.
    Pucker up and kiss it Whoville! - The Grinch:kiss:
  • Suewre
    Suewre Posts: 624
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My sister was gob smacked when I said I put pants, pj's, toothpaste, shower gel etc in my kids' stockings. I am glad I am not the only one. lol

A very good thread.
    Quidco cashback paid out so far £745.89 :j
  • jamgirl
    jamgirl Posts: 215 Forumite
    i always put fruit at the bottom followed by lots of cheap sweets. then pens/pencils/notepads usually out of pound shops.
    baker ross and yellow moon do lots of cheap stocking filler gifts too like pencil tops, magic slates that you write on and peel off, stratchy men etc. and they always get a toothbrush :-)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Traditional things like sugar mice,candy canes,sometimes buy these type of things from an old fashioned sweet shop-very christmassy.
  • hawkins bazaar (sp) http://www.hawkin.com/ has some fab stocking fillers - also good for party bags.
    must haves in our house are: satsuma, Thorntons Choc lolly (my mums addition to our stocking every year), a coin (£1 for ds to put in his piggy bank), toastie socks ....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure