FRUGAL LIVING CHALLENGE part 3, July - Dec 2010

Comments

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Dh has just nipped home (works 5 mins walk away) his boss has said he will have to cut hours and pay across the board to help keep the business afloat. We don't know what exactly as yet, but he wanted to let them know what is going on.

He is putting together a package for the accountant & bank to see what needs to be done including re-mortgaging his own house as well. (very small company boss plus 5 workers).

Will know more next week hopefully.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    On a lighter note I've got my first batch of Elderflower Champagne brewing (used Hugh F_W recipe)
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try not to worry too much mama until you know what's going on. these things can be a blessing in disguise sometimes altho that doesn't always stop the immediate panic. Don't forget www.entitledto.com can help you plan for a reduced change of circumstance if things get tight.

We're not tracking our budget too much at the mo (althou I'm eyeing up cheryl's spreadsheets and thinking that I really need to use it). We seem to be doing okay so far with a bit left over at the end of June - unless I've forgotten something major. Got given a pack of mature cheddar earlier in the week, and an extra book of 12 first class stamps for Royal Mail surveys, sure there was a third good thing but can't remember. Have a loverly weekend one and all.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • top_drawer_2
    top_drawer_2 Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    hey,

I feel rotten, i'm not even sure why but I just feel awful. I've been at work today and felt truly irritated everytime anyone did anything so I was just trying to keep out of the way and get on with doing something, anything so that at least I haven't done nothing.

I've had to put another appeal in for uni to ask for them to reconsider, I'm not holding my breath but really hoping that it will be ok. There was nothing jobs wise in the paper yesterday so nothing there. I've thought a lot about the breadmaker and am not sure whether to go for a cheap one or look into it properly and go for the cheapest of the best make (seems like good advice from the old style board). Who is the best make in breadmakers? The one Morphy Rich's was offering at £49 down from £129 doesnt look good, apparently the fancy lift up kneading blade gets stuck in the bread!. Are they all basically the same now do you think?

Jen
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    top_drawer wrote: »
    hey,

I've thought a lot about the breadmaker and am not sure whether to go for a cheap one or look into it properly and go for the cheapest of the best make (seems like good advice from the old style board). Who is the best make in breadmakers? The one Morphy Rich's was offering at £49 down from £129 doesnt look good, apparently the fancy lift up kneading blade gets stuck in the bread!. Are they all basically the same now do you think?

Jen
    Hi Jen, just wondering if you've considered making your bread by hand? I've had some small successes (when I'm organised enough to bake my own bread) and I know there is at least one OldStyle thread about handmaking bread. It's not hard, very satisfying in fact - and great for working out any frustrations! I know someone (thriftlady maybe?) makes a no-knead bread too. Good luck with uni appeal and jobhunting - keep your chin up! x

Mama, hope the cuts aren't too bad but like the others have said, try not to worry till you know what you have to deal with. Hope your elderflower champagne turns out nice!
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • pagangirl
    pagangirl Posts: 391 Forumite
    Hi all
    just dropping in from lurkdom to update finances and let you all know I'm still here !

Have updated sig, and keeping on track (so far). Having a nightmare of a time with benefits agencies mucking me about. Now have to go for a medical with ATOS/ESA on Thursday so not looking forward to that. Any good wishes gratefully received !

Dunno if this will help anyone, but LIIdl supermarket's new brochure says from 1st July they are selling electric mincer/sausage makers at £34.99. I know some of you were thinking about making your own HTH.

Hugs to all
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on :eek:

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Heya everyone.

Well as it stands we have spent 36.6% of our budget (£1,830.53) which looks very good as we are half way through the year now :T.

We do still have my partners bike insurance to come out which we have a budget of £600 for (this was the cheapest we could get last time as his last bike got stolen :mad: but we are hoping for it to come down) which is 12% of the years budget. We plan to pay this off in one go when it comes along as we should have the money to do so. We will be looking around for the cheapest quote when it comes to re-new the insurance but my partner does this every year anyway.

We have been careful with our elctricity so the bill wan't as much as we had budgeted for.

We have been careful with our gas usage and haven't spent as much on our PP meter than we thought we would. However we have been putting most of the budget money on now in anticipation of a cold winter. Also if it snows or becomes icy going to where we top it up could be very difficult so it will be good to have the extra on it incase as the emergancy balance on it isn't a lot.

We have been careful with our water usage (we are on a meter) and have come in under the budget for that so that has helped us.

Unfortunatly we are over half our budget for pet costs (vets lol) as our rat had another operation the other day that cost us quite a bit (my face looked like this :eek:). She is however very active for a rat with one eye that isn't far off 2 and a half years old :rotfl:.

We want to take the chinchillas we rescused a about a month ago to the vets just for a check up - as they have never been to a vets in their 3 years alive - and so the vet knows them. I know it's probably not the right place to ask (the pet board would be better I know but I'll go out on a limb here to) but does anyone know what a vet usually charges to do a check up on two chinchillas?
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 4 July 2010 at 9:57AM
    Nice to see a few of you still here going into the third quarter of 2010.

Breadmakers - I haven't bought a loaf since getting mine and it's a Morphy Richards. The folding blade does sometimes get stuck in the loaf but aesthetics and bread aren't an issue in our household. I think, however, I might prefer it if the loaves were loaf shaped instead of tall; that would be my only criticism, as I end up cutting the top off mine and eating it like a roll! :D

Vets & pets - vets can charge whatever they like, there's no governing body overseeing their fees, so I'd phone and ask first, then make sure they don't talk you into all sorts of preventative stuff. I used to breed chinchillas and had no problems with them at all. As a vet nurse, main problems I saw at work were ignorant owners feeding rabbit or guinea pig food instead of chinchilla pellets and not providing proper sand for their pets. You'd also be amazed at how many people assumed they could keep these furry little critturs outside in all weathers without knowing they couldn't survive the wet conditions. :mad:

Budget doing fine here but just discovered the But|in$ free scratchcards have been reduced to one a day - no second freebie on Sundays anymore, by looks of things. :(

The guy never appeared to install my logburner and I haven't heard from him, so have no idea when it'll get fitted. It won't be today, that's for sure, as the weather wouldn't permit anyone to go anywhere near a roof to fit a chimney liner - it's horrible out there at the moment. Guess the grass & garden does need watering, though.

Got eggs due to hatch today or tomorrow, still keeping very busy here and still need to get my elderflower champagne started. I have the rhubarb one bottled and it's already started to fizz. :)

Good luck with your medical, Pagangirl. :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Erme
    Erme Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    re Breadmakers

I tend to like get it cheap from Mr. S about 7.30pm. I enjoy hunting for the bargains...

Sleep kerfunked again (story of my life - sorry to be such a bore)....Up at 2/3am till 6.30am so no kirk and it's blowing a gale and like I'm chesty :p.

Well asides from the washing machine all is good here. I don't know about my 6 monthly thing (don't think that's for me till the end of the month) but like my main whoopsie was the first month. Now it's settling down to about £450 a month (excluding debt, rent, CT and tithe).

Current aims =

Elec = 78 every 4 weeks
    Broadband = 10 a month
    Landline phone = 30 a month (can't get down as started new contract just before FL)
    Mobile = 30 (pre cashback)
    Food and cigs (smoking a lot) = 180 a month
    Insurance = 5 a month
    Laundry (to pay 'off' the washing machine) = £10 a month

total = £363 a month (plus debt = £250 and like tithe = 85 a month)

Save/necessary extras = £162 every 4 weeks (if I stick to budget)
    Expected reality = Monthly spend = £450 + 250+ 85 =785 = save £100

E
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
    :dance:
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i have started a discussion on the gardening board, about the tv commady programme the good life.

anyway...lol.. to cut a long story short... was trying to work out realistically what could a family of 4 cut their basic shopping down to? with them growing as much of their food as possible and just buying the vary basics.... flour , sugar etc ?
    Work to live= not live to work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport