Warm Front Grant saved me a fortune!

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My friend has found out she qualifies, her boiler is on it's way out, she asked me about getting it fixed and I gave her the info and she qualified. I don't but glad someone could use it :)
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Elhall_2
    Elhall_2 Posts: 75 Forumite
    SambaRamba wrote:
    Hello, I qualify for a warmfront grant for central heating due to my income. Does anyone know what happens if I receive a payrise after the date of the application, which takes my earnings to just above the limit? What if the work has already started?

It shouldn't effect it. It goes by your earning from the time of the application.
  • seggy1
    seggy1 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Ask Your Employer To Not Give You A Pay Rise Until You Have Had Your Heating Done He Could Always Back Date It If He Is A Good Employer Or Ask To Do An Hour Less Untill You Get Your Heating
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After the relocation and installation of new boiler a couple of weeks before christmas the installers came back 8 days later to replace the 2 radiators they damaged but they did this at warmfronts expense, they damaged the bleed valve thing by using tools rather than a radiator key as they didnt have one (was amazed). They planned to replace them after christmas but came back 2 days before as I had to ring and tell them they had made an error while doing the piping under the sink. I have an outside tap which has a separate stop tap in the house under the sink near the main house stop tap so it doesnt freeze over winter. I checked it and found they had turned it into a main stop tap which switched off the whole house aswell rather than just the outside tap so I ended up with 2 main stop taps and couldnt isolate the outside tap. They corrected it but he did it by making another tap in a different cupboard for some reason, a bit inconvenient but at least I can still isolate the tap again now.

The radiators came smaller than the ones already in, the bedroom one is quite a bit smaller. The bathroom one they have fitted very close to the floor but it all boils down to those stupid pipes they left in and didnt cut them off under the floorboards, too hard to explain on here but they just have to work round the things and now the 2 remaining ones are even more exposed and just look awfull. He told me not to lean on the radiator as it had been fixed with sealant and allsorts (his words) as it is partition wall. I told them it was before they fitted them but there are wood frames in there too which is what I thought they would use to attach the radiator to. I'm just worried in case the grandchildren will lean on it when they use the loo as the radiator has been moved up right next to it. There was plenty of room to move it the other way but they didnt, again because of the pipes they left in. Not sure if I mentioned it but they said they couldnt cut them off below the floorboards as they were on a beam but while tidying up after they went I did lift the floorboards there and found absolutely nothing in the way they just did not want to take a floorboard up so because of that its caused the radiator to have to be fitted around them in a stupid way and those 2 remaining bagpipes still 1/3 up the wall looking such a bodge job.

The boiler, I queried before installation as being not sufficient output on the heating side for the house as the one I had in already had a higher heating output but the water was the same output (both valliant) This is proving to be the case I think. The water is excellent, very hot, very quick and I love valliant boilers but I really think I should have had the next size up, I did ask if I could pay the extra to have the next size up. The heating goes cold all of a sudden even when the temperature isnt reached, radiators can stay cold for up to an hour. People comment and say they have suddenly got very cold and they ask if I can put the heating on when its already on. The thermostat doesnt ever reach the 21 degrees its set at by default but when I turn off 2 radiators the system works more efficiently but it still gets cold suddenly but not for as long. Warmfront told me that they had informed the installers that if after installation the boiler proves not to be correct the installers will have to replace it at thier own expense. The inspector hasnt been round yet I don't know what they will think I feel terrible having to complain over something that I have been given free but warmfront pay for this and I feel I have a duty to inform them, I still feel awful though as I do have heating I couldnt have afforded otherwise and the water side is fine
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Hi Lady_K

Don't 'feel awful about having to complain over something that you got for free'! We are all paying for these services in our taxes. Even though we're retired and I'm on AA as well as SRP, DH and I are both still paying tax. Also, the installers are making a living out of this scheme and you are the customer - you deserve to have it right and not a 'cowboy' job.

The good news for us is - Monday 8th January is the planned installation date, I've just had a phone call from the Interglow office at Chelmsford. Even so, there has been a bit of to-ing and fro-ing - I thought we'd have a phone call earlier in the week, DH wanted to leave it until Monday and then phone them i.e. give them a full week back at work after New Year. I phoned the installer's head office (the number that WarmFront gave in their recent letter) and they were surprised that no one had phoned us - as far as they knew it was all planned to happen. Then I had to answer questions again about the loft-ladder - there are now strict regulations about loft-ladders in these situations. I explained that the loft-ladder was a proper one which had been installed by a builder, surveyors had seen it when they came in October, they'd been up and down it to look at the loft and where the boiler will go, and had said 'yes, that's an ideal situation for the boiler'.

So, any time from 8.30 am Monday morning and it will all happen, it may run into another day but hopefully not. In the meantime, I cracked a tooth eating pork crackling last Sunday and I have a dentist's appointment on Monday morning to repair it, so I'll just go off to the dentist's in the square and leave DH here keeping an eye on everything.

And then the next thing will be - get the hall re-carpeted and the rest of our plans as and when we budget for them.

Happy New Year!

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Lady_K
    Hope everything goes well for you Margaret youve waited a long time.

Forgot to mention too that they had to repair a leak from when they fitted the new bedroom radiator as it was coming through the ceiling into my lounge onto the chair. The chair was saturated but they came back and fixed it straight away, that could have been bad especially if it had gone any further and brought the ceiling down
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • margaretclare
    Hi Lady_K

Is the damage to your chair, cost of replacement etc, covered by your house insurance or by the installer's insurance?

Yes, it does seem to have been a long time. I started the ball rolling back in June.

Best wishes

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • Lady_K
    Well I took the cushions off and soaked as much up with towels as I could and dried it out as its right next to the radiator it seems ok. I've cleaned it with stardrops. I thought it was going to smell but its ok. I don't think I'm covered fr accidental damage just buildings but if it had been worse I would have expected kershaws to compensate me for that maybe?
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • margaretclare
    Lady_K wrote:
    I don't think I'm covered for accidental damage just buildings but if it had been worse I would have expected Kershaws to compensate me for that maybe?

Lady_K, really, I should come and look after you (VBG!) You need contents as well as buildings insurance - what happens in case of fire, burglary?

For any damage on a job the installer should carry insurance and that's the kind of thing you need to make sure the inspector knows about when he/she arrives to check the job. I would be standing at the door with a list.

Margaret
  • margaretclare
    Hi all

Well, it's 'all systems go' here. Interglow work in teams of 2, the first team to come into the yard this morning were to come to us - and here they are, everything appears to be going on OK so far.

We got them to reverse the van into the drive - our car is on the road because I have a dental appointment at 11.40 this morning, didn't want to be 'boxed-in', I'm going out and DH will stay here and keep an eye.

Cold weather forecast for later this week so perhaps it's just in the nick of time. Hope a few other people get their heating sorted in time - we're lucky compared to some. Electricity costs have just gone down so that's good news too - we're getting a refund of £79.95 overpaid and monthly DD down next month from £28.50 to £20.

Next thing, I want the hall re-carpeted...

Margaret
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport