Wealth creation - anyone interested?

Comments

• Hmmm... having spent the past few years reading things on this site like "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true" etc, I must confess that I have read this thread with a bit of scepticism!

We have 2 kids at private school (why not use LA school? Long story!) and are needing to extend our house (children growing!) so have spent most of the time since joining the site cutting expenses out of our lives using the hints and tips that we have found here. I'd be a fool to say that some of the ideas here can't really work, because I have no evidence. If there is actual evidence of success could you please post it here?

Because of the expenses explained above we have next to nothing to invest, at least until we get quotes for the building work and decide if we can afford it. I have read the Rich Dad Poor Dad series (the one about kids education is really quite readable and I try to use it with our boys) and believe what Kyiosaki (SP?) says about diversifying income, but it is hard when my wife and I already work full time and are just about spent up to a couple of percent of income. So you'll appreciate that if there are any "safe" ways to earn an extra crust or 12 I'd be interested!

Cheers.

WR
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    Wild_Rover wrote:
    So you'll appreciate that if there are any "safe" ways to earn an extra crust or 12 I'd be interested!

Don't you think it's a bit like investing - if you invest in 'safe' options, you will get slow but steady returns, so if you want big returns you need higher risk ventures. There is a thread on the MortgageFree Wannabe board called the 'Great bit on the side hunt' - that's got some ideas.
  • :D 'Great bit on the side hunt' ????- better not let Mrs Wild Rover see that!!:eek:

OK, I'll have a look - still be interested to know how you lot are getting on though!

Cheers!

WR
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Noiticed in yesterdays paper (think is was the Sunday Mail) that there was a "Free" share trading seminar.

Probably just a "Pay me £3000 for the next part of the course" type thing but thought I would mention it!

M
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i'm interested in this, aren't we all. will read through and then think of ideas to post.

thanks sukey - will look for your blog and read that too, although to be fair DIY doesn't really suit me too well!!!
  • exil
    exil Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    Personal opinion follows

- there are no doubt a number of good business ideas out there. the better they are, the more likely it is someone else has thought of it first.

- making money requires effort, luck, and a positive attitude to risk.

- most people, over a lifetime, will make far more money from their primary career/job than from anything else. therefore, IMO, spare money should be invested in training, and spare time spent on building your main career. A doctor will invest a lot of money and time in studying, training, and working long hours as a junior. The payback, though, is enormous.

- there is more to life than work and money. Sometimes it's necessary to chill out, to spend time with family and friends. That said, if you are lucky enough to have something you enjoy doing AND can make money from, that's great!
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    exil wrote:
    most people, over a lifetime, will make far more money from their primary career/job than from anything else. therefore, IMO, spare money should be invested in training, and spare time spent on building your main career. A doctor will invest a lot of money and time in studying, training, and working long hours as a junior. The payback, though, is enormous.

I see where you are coming from, but I don't think that necessarily applies to everyone. My husband has a good job, but he has looked and not been able to find relevant training that would help him get further in the job he is in now. And if he got made redundant in ten years time, he would be looking for a new job in his 50's when options would be more limited. There is a logic in saying that if we could develop an alternative income stream, then we would not be so dependent on the whims of the company that he works for.
  • Hi everyone i'm new so don't really know what i may post but i've working from home with no guaranteed income for a few years now been doing various things to get a regular income coming in that i can comfortable live on. I have seen all sorts of get rich quick schemes, affiliate schemes and other ideas on how to make money from home. I'm actually seeing some reliable income from a source i was really dubious of it took some work but well worth. Check out my listed URL. I have other ideas but this post feels like it's quite long now.
  • Sorry missed the point i'm interested in this thread any ideas you have put them down for us all to see. Thanks.
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi everyone i'm new so don't really know what i may post but i've working from home with no guaranteed income for a few years now been doing various things to get a regular income coming in that i can comfortable live on. I have seen all sorts of get rich quick schemes, affiliate schemes and other ideas on how to make money from home. I'm actually seeing some reliable income from a source i was really dubious of it took some work but well worth. Check out my listed URL. I have other ideas but this post feels like it's quite long now.

Sorry mate, but if your best idea to create wealth is to join a lottery syndicate, you better get used to being poor for the rest of your life!

M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport