Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roamingteacher
    • By roamingteacher 15th Jun 19, 11:23 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    roamingteacher
    Best card to collect airmiles?
    • 15th Jun 19, 11:23 AM
    Best card to collect airmiles? 15th Jun 19 at 11:23 AM
    I live abroad but am a UK citizen. Assuming I can get a card (and I have before), what might be my best option for collecting airmiles from all airlines globally? This is my one and only reason for getting a credit card so as long as it allows me to get airmiles for purchases made with it, I'm interested. I prefer no fee, but if a fee gives exceptional benefits then I'd consider it.
    Thanks for any and all recommendations.
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 15th Jun 19, 1:26 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 3,170 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 15th Jun 19, 1:26 PM
    • 15th Jun 19, 1:26 PM
    I thought that all UK cards require the cardholder to be a resident of the United Kingdom.

Anyhow, MSE has an article on this:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/airline-credit-cards/
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• zagubov
    • By zagubov 15th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • 16,305 Posts
    • 133,889 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 15th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    • 15th Jun 19, 1:41 PM
    It's come up on other threads that if you're just putting normal spending on your card without buying say expensive holidays, it could take close to decades rather thanyears for you to earn enough for a couple of short return flights (UK to Europe say).
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 15th Jun 19, 3:32 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 3,423 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 15th Jun 19, 3:32 PM
    • 15th Jun 19, 3:32 PM
    Apply for a card in the country you now live in
    • roamingteacher
    • By roamingteacher 15th Jun 19, 11:57 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roamingteacher
    • 15th Jun 19, 11:57 PM
    • 15th Jun 19, 11:57 PM
    It's come up on other threads that if you're just putting normal spending on your card without buying say expensive holidays, it could take close to decades rather thanyears for you to earn enough for a couple of short return flights (UK to Europe say).
    Originally posted by zagubov
    This won't be an issue for me.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 16th Jun 19, 6:53 AM
    • 1,032 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    msallen
    • 16th Jun 19, 6:53 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 6:53 AM
    Notwithstanding the difficulties of getting a UK card whilst living overseas ....

To take your question at face value then the "best option for collecting airmiles from all airlines globally" is unquestionably an AMEX that lets you earn MR (Membership reward) points. These can be exchanged for miles in a significant number of airlines' schemes - although some major airlines aren't included so you should check the current list.

However, if you are already an active frequent flyer utilising many schemes then you will almost certainly have a favourite scheme (or rather a favourite alliance - oneworld, star alliance etc), and there may be a card for that specific scheme with a better earning rate than an MR AMEX, or with other extra benefits such as free upgrades or partner flights after certain target spends.
    Last edited by msallen; 16-06-2019 at 6:55 AM.
    • roamingteacher
    • By roamingteacher 16th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roamingteacher
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    • 16th Jun 19, 8:56 AM
    Thanks!
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 16th Jun 19, 6:05 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    • 16th Jun 19, 6:05 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 6:05 PM
    I would also consider the country you live in, currency and local credit cards offer as any spend you will do with a UK card may cost you more due to currency exchanges and fee. For instance Amex is not great for foreign spend and conversion fee, so unless you have to do the majority of spend in GBP it does not make sense having a UK version.
    • roamingteacher
    • By roamingteacher 16th Jun 19, 11:19 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    roamingteacher
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:19 PM
    • 16th Jun 19, 11:19 PM
    I can spend in GBP so not an issue. Thanks.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 16th Jun 19, 11:47 PM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 2,023 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    If you're eligible for UK cards, its also worth looking at the card comparisons/reviews they have at https://www.headforpoints.com/
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 17th Jun 19, 11:29 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    Notwithstanding the difficulties of getting a UK card whilst living overseas ....

To take your question at face value then the "best option for collecting airmiles from all airlines globally" is unquestionably an AMEX that lets you earn MR (Membership reward) points. These can be exchanged for miles in a significant number of airlines' schemes - although some major airlines aren't included so you should check the current list.

However, if you are already an active frequent flyer utilising many schemes then you will almost certainly have a favourite scheme (or rather a favourite alliance - oneworld, star alliance etc), and there may be a card for that specific scheme with a better earning rate than an MR AMEX, or with other extra benefits such as free upgrades or partner flights after certain target spends.
    Originally posted by msallen
    I also rate the Amex SPG card - https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/credit-cards/starwood-preferred-guest-credit-card/

The points can be converted to airline miles at 3:1 normally, but 3:1.25 if you transfer chunks of 60k points over..

3 points is pretty much equal to 1 MR point for conversion purposes.
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 17th Jun 19, 11:45 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    Originally posted by zagubov
    It is prudent to review the redemption rates against the earning rates on the card to decide if it's worth pursuing.

If you're a frequent flyer who pays for flights then these cards offer a nice way of boosting points balances. If you're not then for them to be much use, you either need to be a big spender or be prepared to game the system to earn more points. There are ways of getting lump sums of thousands of points free of charge.
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 20th Jun 19, 7:01 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    A UK citizen definitely can get UK cards overseas, providing they’ve got a UK history of course.

As for OPs Q, transferable points currencies are the best, Amex Membership Rewards and Marriott Bonvoy in the UK, which can be earned via various Amex cards (Green, Gold, Platinum and Rewards for MR, and the Starwood Preferred Guest card for Marriott).

These will allow you to transfer to the bulk of airlines you’d need to. Depending on where you are though, wouldn’t it be better to get one in your own country? I know offerings might not be good, other than USA, Canada and Australia, but you’ll be hammered for forex fees if you’re not spending in GBP.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,136Posts Today

7,559Users online

Martin's Twitter