PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asbestos survey after exchange?

Options
smish
smish Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 16 May 2019 at 8:46PM in House buying, renting & selling
I'd appreciate any pointers, similar stories and, fingers crossed, helpful solutions to a rather complicated issue.

We are selling and buying. Our sale is ahead and we've agreed a completion date with our buyer after a tricky negotiation - we gave them some money off in return for an extra few weeks to try to tie our sale to our purchase. The completion date agreed is 14th June.

They are in a chain and are moving out of their home in the gap between their sale and purchase completing and we don't feel we can ask them to extend that at all (without giving more money off which we can't afford).

Our purchase was going along OK. However, the surveyor identified a number of problems, among them possible asbestos here there and everywhere.

We have hired an asbestos surveyor and the plan is to either request a reduction from the vendor for any work required or, if it's really bad, pull out and look for something else.

We'd hoped to have the survey done today however the tenant living in the property is understandably concerned about safety and has insisted this happens after they vacate on 5th June. We need to exchange by the 7th.

We've rescheduled the asbestos survey to 6th June but their report will take two working days... With exchange due on 7th and completion on 14th it was always going to be tight but now it's seriously problematic.

The reduction we gave to our buyer essentially used the budget we'd set aside for renting and the extra removals costs if we couldn't get the sale and purchase to join up, so we really want to find a way to keep them linked if at all possible. We also have a delicate cat who won't appreciate being moved twice!

We do feel caught between a rock and a hard place.

Does anyone have any experience of such things? Any nifty ideas about how we could make this work?

We understand that the limitations are that the bank and solicitor need one week to draw down funds and the solicitor says we should get all surveys done before exchanging on our purchase.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any thoughts you have.

Comments

• Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Survey after exchange is pointless, you would only discover what YOU need to do and pay for.

Listen to your solicitor!
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AFTER exchange?

At exchange, you are both contractually bound to everything agreed - including price. By all means, have an asbestos survey after exchange, so you know what's there for sure - but you might as well have it after completion.

BTW, you do know that the surveyor's "OOoh, there might be asbestos" is generic backside-covering on anything that's not so newly built the paint's still wet, right?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A survey after exchange is pointless if its purpose is to enable you to ask for money off or pull out.

You will have to exchange later (after the survey results) and possibly complete later depending what the seller says in response to your changed price. It doesn't help that your vendor is a chancer LL with a tenant there until the last minute. It seems they will be moving out, but what's Plan B if they haven't ?
  • smish
    edited 17 May 2019 at 6:52PM
    Options
    I was hoping people might have ideas and information I didn't already have. This is my fourth purchase, I'm 50, and it's the first time I've wanted to investigate an issue but have been unable to do so until after the planned exchange date.

I know a survey after exchange is pointless form the point of view of negotiating a discount - that's exactly the conundrum I'm facing. I wonder if some of you read the full message or if you just responded to the title?

Anyway, in case it's helpful for anyone else reading this, my partner and I have decided that we'll propose a fairly steep reduction to the seller on the basis that we can't know for sure whether there's asbestos or not until we get the report and as we can't that until after the planned exchange date we will have to accept the risk and the potential costs and disruption involved in that. The other options we considered seriously were to pull out or delay exchange and completion on our purchase (we can't delay any longer on our sale) and swallow the cost of moving twice and renting. These last two options are worse so we hope the vendor will agree to our reduction –!I'll update once we get a response.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Options
    smish wrote: »
    Anyway, in case it's helpful for anyone else reading this, my partner and I have decided that we'll propose a fairly steep reduction to the seller on the basis that we can't know for sure whether there's asbestos or not
    To which the vendor will say "Not a hope, mate, but I'm happy to hold off on exchange for a few days to get the report in."

Ball back in your court.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    Options
    my partner and I have decided that we'll propose a fairly steep reduction to the seller on the basis that we can't know for sure whether there's asbestos or not
    Are there any bodies under the patio . . have you asked?
  • staffie1
    staffie1 Posts: 1,965 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are countless houses of a certain age with asbestos. So what? Any future building works should be done with care by a qualified builder.
    If you will the end, you must will the means.
  • ratechaser
    ratechaser Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are there any bodies under the patio . . have you asked?

Or dogs? :D
  • smish
    Options
    OK. Not digging the vibes here. Was looking for help from people with experience not a load of mansplaining and arseyness. I'll leave you to your troll den.
  • correll
    correll Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    It is my understanding that you can exchange and complete on the same day - so even if contracts are pushed back you may be able to keep completion date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure