Can I Change My PIP Assessment Location To Be Close To My Family?

Is this possible? as where I live I don't have any family close to me.. and I need someone to come to the meeting with me to explain my disabilities etc

thanks

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It should be possible to change an assessment date once.

From the IAS website:

"Can you change your PIP consultation appointment?
    Yes, you can change your appointment. You can change it to another day or time. You can also change the Centre that the appointment is at. We're only allowed to change your appointment once and if you miss your appointment without a good reason, DWP may end your PIP claim. Your appointment letter tells you how to contact us to change your appointment or ask any other questions that you might have."

https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/news/where-might-you-have-your-pip-consultation/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    FusionFury wrote: »
    I need someone to come to the meeting with me to explain my disabilities etc

thanks
    Unless the person going with you is your appointee then they won't be able to speak on your behalf. The assessment provider will want to hear from you in your own words how your conditions affect you. The person going with you maybe able to prompt you but this is the HCP's discretion.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 March 2019 at 10:01PM
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    Unless the person going with you is your appointee then they won't be able to speak on your behalf..

I've got my assessment tomorrow. On the appointment letter it says "We know that some people worry about coming for a consultation, but you can bring someone with you to help answer any questions you will be asked". :huh:

Does this mean they'll be able to prompt you rather than speak directly to the assessor?

FusionFury, I changed the assessment centre, they wanted me to go to one that's 30 miles away rather than my nearest that's 4 miles away. It was very easy to change and they answered the phone very quickly.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I've got my assessment tomorrow. On the appointment letter it says "We know that some people worry about coming for a consultation, but you can bring someone with you to help answer any questions you will be asked". :huh:

Does this mean they'll be able to prompt you rather than speak directly to the assessor?

FusionFury, I changed the assessment centre, they wanted me to go to one that's 30 miles away rather than my nearest that's 4 miles away. It was very easy to change and they answered the phone very quickly.
    As previously advised they maybe able to prompt you but it will totally depend on the HCP you have. Some will allow, some won't.

Usually first appointments are computer generated and it will send out the first available appointment, regardless of how far away it is from home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure