Home Visit Assessment for PIP

rosie51
rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 14 March 2019 at 11:34AM in Disability money matters
Letter came to let me know that i have a home visit for my PIP reassessment next week. This was not my request and i am dreading it, i hate meeting new people and know that what i say will come out wrong.

Atos are doing the assessment and i have read that they are ruthless and make the assessments very difficult. I have issues with mental health,going out on my own, crowded places and the fear of being away from home etc etc. I sufferer with depression and panic attacks and have not been out without someone being with me for 13 years. I no longer enjoy going to events, church or on holiday as i have to leave as can-not cope with it all.

Have had to have stays in hospital for knee replacement and gallstone operation and it was a nightmare i simply could not cope with being out of my comfort zone.

I am not mad but it probery comes across as i am. Really have no idea what to expect, when i feel like this i usually cancel any appointments but not this one. Feeling sick and stupid right not for sharing this but any advice would be most welcome.

Can i also just add that i have mobility problems due to my TKR and
a permanent disk problem in my back and use a stick outside always and inside sometimes, as well as a habit of falling and unable to get up unaided.

My husband helps with my lower dressing and things like cutting toe n
ails etc, sorry things are so messed up with te order i have written everything.
2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Although not a home assessment, Atos carried out my assessment & whilst there were a few inaccurate statements in her report, I actually ended up with enhanced for both elements, which was such as shock as I'd convinced myself I'd probably only get standard care. I also have a long award so try not to worry too much.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Rosie51...

I had a Home assessment for PiPs..and was awarded Care (enhanced) and Mobility (standard)...there WERE errors and inconstancies in the assessor's report (quite a few!)...but the points were still awarded....and it was a 10 year award.

Try not to worry...would it be possible for your husband to be at home with you for the assessment> - My mother was with me throughout, and was able to keep me calm (we,, calmer!) and also answer some of the questions when I had difficulty speaking.

Be honest with the assessor, make sure that they get a chance to see things like your walking aids....the assessment will probably include going through the same questions you were asked on the forms you submitted when claiming - make sure the assessor knows how much help you get from your husband.

These assessments are not necessarily easy to get through, but it IS survivable! It is unlikely to be anywhere near as bad as you are imagining....I understand how overwhelming panic-attacks can be...if you have medication, then consider taking some the night before the assessment - and tell the assessor you have done so.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tell the assessor what you have told us.
    I would suggest looking through the PIP activities / descriptors:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

And use these to make notes / diary of help needed for relevant descriptors with your husband, then use these notes to explain fully to the assessor.
    Have your husband present.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/

Good luck.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • rosie51
    rosie51 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for your replies, my husband will be there. I will update on out come.
    2020 Stash makes/destash 61/150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport