Drinks when hosting Christmas

I am not sure if this is in the correct section, and I apologies if its not.
We are hosting Christmas this year, my husband and I don't drink (due to health conditions/medication), but my guests do drink - I am planning on buying some wine for them - I know which ones they like, but they are really into Aperitifs, sherries liquors etc. DH says I should buy some of these as well but to my mind this is just a waste, I was thinking of making some virgin cocktails a few different ones throughout the day - but am struggling to find any recipes.

So does anyone have any opinons and or any ideas for recipes.

Thank you
Fibro-Warrior

Comments

• I think mocktails is a wonderful idea.

I remember BBC good food having a few nice recipes. You can always have a little taste afternoon to try a few recipes so you know what they are like before the big day!
  • Well I think if you are actually hosting Christmas personally I'd get some wine and lager in and then ask people to bring something for themselves - otherwise it'll cost you a fortune,
  • Virgin cocktails are a great idea. Shloeris always in abundant at ours - there's tons of different flavours and it's pretty inexpensive especially when it's on offer.

Definitely ask guests to bring drinks otherwise it'll get expensive and they normally have their own preference anyway

Otherwise Prosecco works - any bottle :)
  • I would get some Prosecco/cava as well as wine, and a bottle of something to mix with that, then you can serve something a bit special for the drinkers without having to get in lots of different ingredients. A dash of Peach Schnapps (Aldi does a cheap one) would make Bellinis or Elderflower cordial is nice mixed with fizz, or you could get some Creme de Cassis to make Kir Royales. With all of these, a little of the mixer goes a long way.

Wilkinsons do very reasonable "champagne" glasses (50p each, I think, we got some for a party recently).
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would get some Prosecco/cava as well as wine

I'm pretty sure Prosecco and Cava are wine. (But I know what you mean! (And it was mentioned they knew what they like!)).
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TBH Id only have wine for the table and let your guests bring a bottle

We are drinkers and whenever we host parties or such, we supply soft drinks, larger and wine. Everyone else is expected to bring a bottle

Seeing as you don't drink, you will have the shock of your lives when going to buy alcohol, its dear. Just a bottle of Baileys and a bottle of Sherry will see £30 gone
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904
    First Post
    Forumite
    The general rule of thumb in our family is "if you're being fed, you take drink with you". I generally have drink in anyway so guests take their choice but if they know you don't drink, I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect them to bring what they want.
  • bella_m
    bella_m Posts: 17
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Mocktails are a great idea!

Something fizzy / Prosecco.

A bottle or red and some Port should have you covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure