PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Threatening letter from council

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jon8871 wrote: »
    I am not going to shout to anyone. And will be calling the head of housing who has issued the letter.
    That will be another waste of your time. The letter will give the number for a call centre, or a named individual (very unlikely to be the head of housing). Call them.
    It is about being poor, if I could afford to buy the house tomorrow, they would have no right to come in and rewire. I have no choice as I am poor, and have to do what the council say. And if it's that unsafe why I have been able to live here for the last 12 years
    You do have a choice, hand your keys back and try your luck in the private rental market. There you will discover you have to do what the landlord says as well. Let us know how you get on.

The work wasn't needed 12 years ago. Things like electrical installations need to be checked and replaced periodically. You've got lucky and now its your turn to have council money spent on improving your home. Don't knock it. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They will upgrade that wiring if it is a rewire. However in your initial post you said it was a condition report which is usually an inspection and test. These are done periodically. Usually every 10 years or so.
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I pay council tax, I am assuming that is how its funded. It wont be a home improvent, the electric will work just the same lol, with all plastic tubing up the walls.

Most people pay council tax, myself included. If it's being done for safety reasons, as you said their letter stated, then it is improvement work - it's improving safety.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So many judgement people on here. maybe somedays, weeks, months, depression is really bad and I don't care about opening letters. The council made no attempt to phone me to ask if I have acknowledged the letter or letters.

They have accused me of refusing to allow the council access to undertake the works. Correct me if I am wrong, but is not responding, refusing?

Why are you not telling us how many letters you have received?
    A number of letters and visits, you were aware that your neighbours have had work done, and its been a nightmare.
    So you have blanked the council, not a good idea.
  • jon8871
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    That will be another waste of your time. The letter will give the number for a call centre, or a named individual (very unlikely to be the head of housing). Call them.

You do have a choice, hand your keys back and try your luck in the private rental market. There you will discover you have to do what the landlord says as well. Let us know how you get on.

The work wasn't needed 12 years ago. Things like electrical installations need to be checked and replaced periodically. You've got lucky and now its your turn to have council money spent on improving your home. Don't knock it. :)

Have spoke to the head of housing before, its not immposibe to speak to him. Any way I am not refusing the rewire, that is not what the post is about. Don't think I am lucky, only have to google "council house reweire" to see some of the mess.
  • jon8871
    Options
    Really amazes me that most of the people here think that not responding to a letter is worthy of a threat of eviction and a criminal record. What kind of lives do you lead?

I am done with this thread now, people annoy me more and more every day. Well, most people anyway.
  • EssexGirl
    Options
    I am not going to shout to anyone. And will be calling the head of housing who has issued the letter.
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in that office on Monday! I wish you luck getting past the head of housing's PA with that one. :rotfl:
  • jon8871
    Options
    EssexGirl wrote: »
    Oh to be a fly on the wall in that office on Monday! I wish you luck getting past the head of housing's PA with that one. :rotfl:

The letter states to call head of housing. I have spoken to him before. Why is it so unbelievable to you? Its just the head of hosuing, not the Prime Minister lol
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The letter states to call head of housing. I have spoken to him before. Why is it so unbelievable to you? Its just the head of hosuing, not the Prime Minister lol

Was this when you ignored letters last year about getting your guttering done?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I pity the council come Monday. No wonder they have to sit behind glass screens. "I've come to complain about the possible free re-wire you've offered me!".
    OP- please say no thanks and save us tax payers some money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure