What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 7th May?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money::money:
Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama

Comments

• allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MONEY MAKING AND SAVING SITES AS OFTEN MENTIONED IN THIS FORUM:

• Benefits check-up (Link)
    • Coupon Shop Forum list of money-off coupons (Link)
    • Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes. (Link)
    • eBid (Link)
    • Freecycle (Link)
    • Freegle (Link)
    • Free Postcode Lottery( Link )
    • FreeStuff (Link)
    • FreeUKStuff ( Link )
    • Income Tax Calculator (Link)
    • i-Say Surveys (Link)
    • Jobseekers Railcard (Link)
    • List of online newspapers. At bottom of the linked page. (Link)
    • LuckyPhone free lottery with loyalty rewards (Link)
    • Marriage Tax Allowance (Link)
    • Martin Lewis' Weekly List of Deals and Tips (Link)
    • MSE Bank Charges Comparison Tool (Link)
    • MSE Boost Your Income page. Gateway to lots of money-making links. (Link)
    • MSE Budget Planner (Link)
    • MSE Abbreviations Explained (Link)
    • MSE Deals and Vouchers (Link)
    • MSE Demotivator Tool (Link)
    • MSE Credit Card Minimum Repayment Calculator (Link)
    • MSE Money Makover (Link)
    • MSE Piggybank Budgeting (Link)
    • MSE Stoozing Guide (Link)
    • MSE Wow Offers (Link)
    • NHS Minor Ailment Service article (Link)
    • My Supermarket (Link)
    • Number Plate Lotto (Link)
    • OnePoll (Link)
    • Quidco (Link)
    • Reclaim PPI at no cost to yourself without using a claims company. (Link)
    • Reclaim Packaged Bank Account fees at no cost to yourself without using a claims company.(Link)
    • Reclaim phone credit (Link)
    • Resolver tool. Helps you draft a letter, send it, monitor replies and then escalate it to an Ombudsman or key complaint body if it's not sorted. (Link)
    • SayNoTo0870 cheap phone number finder (Link)
    • Start Rescue Breakdown Cover (Link)
    • Super Saver Amazon Delivery Tool (Link)
    • Survey sites that pay for your opinions (Link)
    • Swagbucks (Link)
    • Swapit (Link)
    • Tickety Split cheap train tickets (Link)
    • Toluna (Link)
    • TopCashBack (Link)
    • Wombling Guide (Link)
    • You Need A Budget site and App (Link)

If any of the links are broken, let me know.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2018 at 9:12AM
    Options
    Hi May Moneysavers,

Happy weekend!

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Three:

* Work very hard on my own mental health issues. Do Holistrio App. Had a few "bad" moments/hours this week at work but am still standing. Nearly quit my job at one point, but didn't.

* Check online banking and broadband usage.

* Turned off alarm clock until tonight, it resets itself automatically.

* Celebrating my Debt Free Anniversary this week with a good local cherry brandy. Will shortly be entering my fourth year. Once or twice I have borrowed money for a week or two, but other than that I am Keeping The Faith.

:bdaycake:

[STRIKE]Clean[/STRIKE] fumigate kitchen with Stardrops and washable cloths.

Triage fridge and freezer, as Foxgloves says. Made soup from anything that was wilting.

Toasted sandwiches for breakfast using leftovers.

More later...

To live without risk is to risk not living.
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning ally thanks for starting the thread and happy anniversary!

Woke up early again, but went to sleep early and had a nap yesterday! Busy day today as meeting up with bff and godson, but before that I want to go to the allotment for a couple of hours and then go and pick up madam some sandals for our holiday next week.

I think we're having bbq at bff's later, so need to confirm with her and pick something up

get bags & clothes/homework ready for tomorrow

pack suitcases :D

use up food in house rather than buy any more!

spend a little time in the garden continuing with clean up - after 2 sessions over the weekend it's looking so much better already :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 May 2018 at 8:51AM
    Options
    Good morning!

The sun is shining! The tank is clean!

Ally - keep trucking at work - you're doing fab. Cherry brandy sounds mmmmmmmmm

OH still asleep as we was gigging last night so I'm taking the opportunity to catch up on a couple of cooking bits.

Haven't decided exactly where we are going... presented OH with 2 choices and got a thumbs up... so we'll be going to either Delamere forest or Norton Priory!

Today:
    • B/D from stores. Try to persuade OH that we should take a picnic lunch out with us. - done
    • Cook BNS pie - currently in the oven - done
    • Get OH to do invoice and expenses. Normally Sunday night job but obvs was gigging last night - done
    • Research some vegetarian gluten free recipe bits for Saturday - done
    • Salted a few slugs. Lost 2 more seedlings in the greenhouse to a marauding snail. I'll be lucky to get anything this year at this rate :( (well, if I need to resort to plug plants... so be it) - done
    • Gym this morning - done
    • List item on freecycle - done
    Not much doing. Aiming to have a nice day!

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Taking it easy after a lovely family christening yesterday, boy was it hot.

Putting off cat cleaning, will do it in a minute, looks like they have had a party in the litter

Do some more painting and hoover upstairs

CLF you've reminded me that I need to do an invoice. Might do it this evening but really need to get it done today.

Ally congratulations on ur debt free anniversary, my very first one is coming up soon, it's a good feeling. Hang in with work. Years ago I had a really crappy boss who was a bully. When I took independent advice I was told to get out of that environment. I always wished that I had stuck it out bec one member of staff did take it further to a tribunal and won and the bully got sacked.

Use up chicken dinner in the fridge......trying not to waste anything after last week's disaster.

Think that's about it from me, have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

Ally - Thanks for starting us off today and congrats on the anniversary

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

I am struggling and feel I have nothing to contribute :o While the weathers been so nice we've spent time outdoors - all washing has been line dried, we've been to gym as is our routine now, wandered round garden centres and finally planted up our small front garden, we've also had a trip to the theatre, we've even managed to drag DS out for a walk with us yesterday (only 2 miles but it was great - usually he's out playing football with his mates). Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Walk -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    Swagbucks -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, Luckyphone, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -
    Knit -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning everyone :D :coffee:
    Sun is out again, but I have discovered that my garden chairs are not useable this year - they have been out in all weathers though so hardly surprising. I will just make use of picnic blankets if I want to be outside. Fairly determined to bag a nsd if I can today.
    I'm going back to work tomorrow so I need to finish preparing for that. And not get myself too wound up about going back after a bit of time off.
    Also heading off to bestie's for a BBQ later - I'm debating whether or not to get the kids to walk over there to get a bit of exercise in and a bit of exposure to the sun.
    Other than that, today is all about relaxing and continuing to enjoy what has been the best weekend I can remember for ages.
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    Afternoon Every one

the sun is shining here

big hugs ziggy small steps

todays to do

meals from stores
    clean the windows well the ones I can reach
    Check banking
    hang washing out
    hoover and chase the dust bunny's lol xx

have a good day xxxlppxxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Frugalistas,
    Gorgeous sunshine here, & a useful day on the non-spendy, money saving front:
    *NSD (well, it almost certainly will be, the only possible cracking-point will be that mr f doesn't have any beer in the house.....)
    *Free fitness scrubbing conservatory inside & out. No spending required. All cleaning stuff, cloths, paint, tools, etc, already in stock. Looks so nice now.
    *Conservatory plants, esp, pelargoniums, moved outside onto courtyard now for summer. Instant burst of free colour, rather than buying it in from the garden centre.
    *Dinner in slow cooker so as to avoid take-away fever striking.
    *Leftover chorizo divvied up & frozen for 2 future meals rather than being divvied up between mr f & Cat's tummies.
    *Another box of decluttered CDs/books, etc sold to Ziffit (bank holiday 15% code = MAYDAY15)
    *Re-listed 3 ebay items.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch (not yet done)
    *Prepped for tomorrow morning's meeting - not directly money saving, but giving myself more time tomorrow morning does mean I will have a little more chance of finding some free street parking.
    *Entered a prize draw & a competition.
    *Two baths from one lot of hot water - I am so grubby from all the cleaning, I think I would even come up cleaner if I just had a dip in the Trent!
    *Watered greenhouse veggies, lettuce beds & salad seedlings.
    *Continue hardening off home grown bedding plants, as I intend to start planting some of the sturdier ones out this week in between meetings......all grown from free packs of seed.
    *Continue knitting commissioned item.
    *Refilled printer paper tray with 'clean-on-one-side' recycled A4 paper. It's fine for most of what I need to print. I save perfect bought paper for stuff that needs to look good.
    *Baked the sourdough loaf I mixed up yesterday - intend serving chunks of it with tonight's slow cooker Spanish Beef instead of faffing around with rice, potatoes or other carby offerings.
    OK, must go & drink some water, than find a nice shady spot to take my knitting.
    Love f xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 7 May 2018 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Oh...sorry forgot.....CCL & HappyKitties....I don't know if this info will be of any use to you, but here goes in case.... Aldi have added another variety to their cat food range, it's a mousse & they are in little tins like the 'well-known gold tin variety'. They are in boxes of 12 for £2.49, but at the moment, they are on offer at £1.79. We got a box on Saturday to try our cat with them. For a big ex-street cat, he can be a bit of a naughty jelly-licker & can sometimes get huffy if presented with varieties which don't have jelly. However, so far, he's loving these, & is practically inhaling them, he's gobbling them so fast, so I'm just flagging them up with you in case useful, as that's a good price, isn't it?
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure