IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Metro Inn, Walsall

Options

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    fisherp123 wrote: »
    I believe it was my distilled defence. Is it really my witness statement? Do I just call it WS?
    If it is a DEFENCE, it is written in the third person e.g. the defendant did this or the defendant avers that. If it is a witness statement it is written in the first person because you are the witness. You seem to have mixed up first and third person statements and are then adding in points of law. Only you know at what point you are in the process.
  • celfighter
    Options
    Thank you for pointing this out to me.
    So if I change my WS to first person perspective and hand that in with my defence, as outlined in a previous post, I should be good to go?

Also, do I hang-fire with submitting any of this until I know what the claimant intends to do? They have a deadline (end of Oct) to respond to the set-aside...

Thanks again.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fisher, unless you have an urgent deadline to meet I would wait a few more days for comment.

Many knowledgeable posters do not post at weekends.
  • celfighter
    Options
    Hi everyone. The claimant, CEL, had until 4pm yesterday to file their £25 court fee to take this matter to court. I heard this morning that they do intend to pursue this matter. The hearing will be at the end of November. I am obviously concerned now, as I had hoped that the distilled defence which you all helped me with would be enough to put them off. I have now created a Witness Statement, which I will included here. would you please let me know if I should add to it or change it in any way?

I am also assuming (dangerous to assume) that I need to rely on my original distilled defence, which I will also post below. Am I missing something? Have I got to create anything else? I am going on holiday tomorrow so have very little time to get this figured out.

Witness statement:
    IN THE COUNTY COURT AT WALSALL

CLAIM No: xxxx

Between
    CIVIL ENFORCEMENT LIMITED (Claimant)
    -and-
    xxxxx (Defendant)

WITNESS STATEMENT

I, xxxx, of xxxxx street, am the Defendant in this matter, and will say as follows:

• I am the registered keeper of the vehicle in question; registration xxxxx.
    • I am not asserting that I was the driver of the vehicle on the incident date, xx/xx/2017.
    • The very first contact I had from the Claimant was from their debt recovery team, ZZPS, relating to this PCN, on xx/11/2017.
    • I have never received any previous documentation from the Claimant – no “Notice to Keeper” letter, and I thus was never able to challenge the Claimant’s claim.
    • The first letter from ZZPS stated they wanted £200 because the original PCN was ignored. This is a complete lie. I never received any Notice to Keeper letter, as required within 14 days of an alleged parking offence.
    • On xx/11/2017 I emailed ZZPS and requested a copy of all photos and correspondence to be sent to me at my current address. I was informed by ZZPS that all information they hold on their system has been supplied to me in their most recent letter (a letter I had never received). I was also told that Photographic evidence and copies of correspondence sent by their client will only be provided in the event of litigation (see email printout).
    • Considering the above I was unable to defend this claim. I thus believe that this case should be struck out, and the Claimant should reimburse costs, as outlined in the Schedule of Costs document.

I believe the facts contained in this Defence Statement are true.
    xxxxxx

Defence notes post #56
  • KeithP
    edited 31 October 2018 at 2:40PM
    Options

Is that a Witness Statement or a Defence?

Not the first time you have been prompted to correct this.

Attention to detail is so important.
  • celfighter
    Options
    Hi Keith. The above is a witness statement. It is labelled 'witness statement' and it is written in the first person form, as I was informed.
    The other document in post 56 wad a distilled defence.
    I am not clear if or why these are incorrect. Please can you help me?
    Thank you
  • celfighter
    Options
    I also have until 12 noon tomorrow to get these documents finished and posted to the claimant and the court itself.

I am going on holiday for 3 weeks tomorrow and return home just a few days before court. It's so frustrating because I do not know what 'evidence'the claimant is going to use. I certainly haven't had a chance to see any.
    I understand they and I need to exchange statements not less than 14 days before couet date. So i have to have this finished tonight.
  • KeithP
    Options
    Hi Keith. The above is a witness statement. It is labelled 'witness statement' and it is written in the first person form, as I was informed.
    Then re-read the last line of it and explain why it says:
    You really are not paying attention to what people are telling you.
  • celfighter
    Options
    I see. I must have learning difficulties. I am so stupid sometimes. Thabk you Keith.
    Do you have anything else to add?
    Is my WS and defence adequate do you think?
    I have to get this sent out by noon tomorrow... Thank you
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What about your evidence to accompany it? As per the example list of typical evidence in the NEWBIES thread in the section about Witness Statements?

Are you not at least adducing a highlighted copy of Schedule 4 of the POFA and arguing 'no keeper liability' because it's too long ago to recall who was driving, like this person?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5768966&page=6

You haven't admitted or denied being the driver or shown evidence that there was more than one named driver insured and allowed to use that car in 2017. Your WS needs to support your defence and tell the story of who you are and what you know and what your evidence is (attached by number).

Make sure you don't try to EMAIL this to your local court, you can't rely on that.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure