Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Sadly it didn't work for me. My job was so high pressure that when I was travelling I had to get up at 6am to prep my presentations and work for the coming day. Evenings were usually client dinners or trying to get to bed early enough to cope with the early start and pressure of the coming day. There was no downtime during the day. I remember one trip where the local sales manager presented me with a banana between sales calls for my lunch........

I used to see our senior managers going out for runs or spending time in the gym. But there was no peace for the revenue generators...... Like I said, the older I got, the more stressful that workload got.

Sounds horrible! You are well away from that!

I think my old role was something like that (although definitely not as bad). My new role involves two days working from home and three days in the office but a 9:00 am start and around a 6:00 pm finish ....so no real stress anymore.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    One finds time. Easy to find excuses. If you really want to do something you would. Walking is good for you in so many ways not just physical.

Actually, up to 6 months year you cant walk out from my house. Too much water/mud on the roads. I'd have to drive to walk somewhere in winter really.

Good for walking now though.
  • atush
    melanzana wrote: »
    I don't think you are ready for retirement yet. But I wish you well.

You have dithered and dandered for a long while, but will not bite the bullet. But each to their own.

Dithered and Dandered is a bit much.

ML did a lot of pondering and planning anc re planning. He is working now because is isnt the same job as before. If he hadnt been able to swap roles he might just now actually be retired.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    atush wrote: »
    Actually, up to 6 months year you cant walk out from my house. Too much water/mud on the roads. I'd have to drive to walk somewhere in winter really.

Good for walking now though.

That's what wellies are for!

(fortunately I spotted that auto-correct had changed the first 'e' in 'wellies' to an 'i')
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Triumph13 wrote: »

(fortunately I spotted that auto-correct had changed the first 'e' in 'wellies' to an 'i')

I, on the other hand, on a different forum did not note that auto correct had changed my response to redrum, by replacing the middle two letters with c and t.:o

Fortunately he saw the funny side:D
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Dithered and Dandered is a bit much.

ML did a lot of pondering and planning anc re planning. He is working now because is isnt the same job as before. If he hadnt been able to swap roles he might just now actually be retired.

Thats how I see it.

We planned to retire and are financially set. That doesn't mean we have to follow through. It just gives us more options.

Interestingly since I announced my decision (to the company) to retire, I've had quite a few offers which I never would have considered asking for in my pre-FI days. I've also had a few people say "I can't understand why we haven't got a structured plan for people like you" [Meaning people who bring a lot to the party but no longer want the daily grind]

I am honestly very happy with the decisions we've made - and writing down my thoughts on this thread has been very therapeutic :)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • atush
    Triumph13 wrote: »

Wellies are ok for a short walk, but not a long one.
  • Deneb
    Deneb Posts: 420 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Wellies are ok for a short walk, but not a long one.

Walking boots and gaiters. Spend half of the year slipping about on wet clay over chalk round here, and get out every day, rain or shine.
  • Anonymous101
    Anonymous101 Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thats how I see it.

We planned to retire and are financially set. That doesn't mean we have to follow through. It just gives us more options.

Interestingly since I announced my decision (to the company) to retire, I've had quite a few offers which I never would have considered asking for in my pre-FI days. I've also had a few people say "I can't understand why we haven't got a structured plan for people like you" [Meaning people who bring a lot to the party but no longer want the daily grind]

I am honestly very happy with the decisions we've made - and writing down my thoughts on this thread has been very therapeutic :)

You've got it spot on!
    Just planning for FI makes me feel better about the grind. Being able to demonstrate to myself that I don't have to do this for another 30+ years is great and having more financial resilience also makes me feel more comfortable.

I can certainly see that once you're at, or nearing, FI that you have the ability to shape your own role as you have done and really be getting everything you want from work not just be turning up for the money.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    That doesn't mean we have to follow through.

Not always good idea to follow through.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure