misstara's debt diary 2014

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,872
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    A very quick post tonight as just home from work n ready to go straight to bed. Spends are £2.10 on bus fare and 95p on some breakfast biscuits.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10531.97/£15000 (70.2% saved). Emergency fund - £1369.67/£1500 (91.3% saved).
  • misstara
    Forumite
    Rent came out today and a £25 direct debit for the credit union. This is savings for christmas and I can't access the money until November. Spends today are £3.10 on milk and sugar.

Home from work, have about an hour to relax before going out again to 2nd job. Really can't be bothered but will be an extra £25 on Friday - just have to keep reminding myself of this.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10531.97/£15000 (70.2% saved). Emergency fund - £1369.67/£1500 (91.3% saved).
  • misstara
    Forumite
    Survived work, was actually a really good shift. On my way to work, my bank phoned to tell me the wonderful news that they could save me money! Hmm we'll see, however, have agreed to go in for a meeting tomorrow.
  • misstara
    Forumite
    Well, as expected, the meeting at the bank was a waste of time. They could lower the interest rate on the loan by 0.5% (woohoo!) but it would cost more to pay off the existing loan than I would save so a bit pointless really. They did offer me a credit card - no thanks.

Today was a NSD. I did treat myself to a Bo*ts meal deal for my lunch but paid with points. Ended up sharing the sandwich with OH but I did get the cake to myself.

I will have to transfer money between my accounts tomorrow as I have less than 1.00 in my purse and will need bus fare home from work tomorrow night. Will also get a cheap bar of chocolate tomorrow as we have cream left over from tonights tea (mushroom stroganoff) and OH said he would make chocolate mousse - yum.

Was supposed to be working for 2nd job tomorrow morning before going up to other job but my shift has been cancelled. Although its not so good on the money front, I'm kinda glad as I feel exhausted and could really do with a long lie.

Still waiting for the electricity bill to come through but trying not to stress about it too much. Off now to do the dishes and then an early night for me.
  • Morning MissTara,

Probably good to get a forced morning off today. You sound like you are working really hard, and while that is brilliant, you also don't want to burn out and lose your enthusiasm to kick the debt.

The chocolate mousse idea sound fab. Lovely hubby. x

Don't beat yourself up for having to transfer more money into your account, you can't help the cost of bus fares etc.

Keep going xxx
  • misstara
    Forumite
    Probably good to get a forced morning off today. You sound like you are working really hard, and while that is brilliant, you also don't want to burn out and lose your enthusiasm to kick the debt.

Morning Steph, yeah am actually really glad I got the morning off. It's amazing how much better everything looks after a good nights sleep. And this morning, because I don't feel knackered, I feel as though I've had a productive morning.

Today I have been to the gym, done all my ironing and cleaned the kitchen. I have also done my hair (actually straightened and looking nice instead of being chucked back in a ponytail or bun) and I might even pop on a bit of makeup before going to work! :)

I have transferred 10.00 into my current account to take out for bus fare tonight. I will use the change for coffee tomorrow with my friend (rescheduled from last week) and also to get a small birthday gift for the friend that I will see at the weekend.

I got a letter today saying that my bonus rate for my ISA is about to run out. I phoned them up and there is 777.81 in there which is more than I thought. I have withdrawn it and it should be in my bank account by Monday. I think I put 500.00 into another ISA and this can be a little emergency fund if I ever need it and the rest I will use towards the electricity bill and make a payment to cc1.
  • misstara
    Forumite
    Only spend for today was 2.10 on bus fare. Forgot to get the chocolate to make the chocolate mousse so will get that tomorrow after work.
  • misstara
    Forumite
    Spends for today are 1.75 on a coffee out with my friend, 2.75 on chocolate, bread and crisps, 6.50 on TV licence and 9.99 on Lovefilm. I have been thinking about whether to cancel Lovefilm or not, however, I think I'm going to keep it as it saves us a fortune in going to the cinema or buying DVDs.

I also made a wee 1.50 payment to cc1 which means it is now slightly under 1900. I redid the snowball calculator today (first did this ages ago but had been very lax about filling it in) and it has my DFD as being February 2017 which is roughly what I thought but still a bit depressing to see. Aim is obviously to bring this forward a bit.

The dreaded electricity bill came through today so its 171.81 which is slightly better than I thought but still horrible. Will add some of my savings to what I have already put by for it and must start planning ahead for this. The next one will be due at the start of May and if I put away say 10.00 a week it wouldn't feel like much but at least I would have something to put towards it and not stress every time it is due.

I got my payslip from 2nd job earlier so will sit down with a cup of tea and make a budget for next week before bed.
  • Hey Tara

You're doing really well - don't feel disheartened! 2017 may sound far away but really, three years is nothing - and if you keep plowing on as you're doing, that date willl keep getting brought forward. All those micropayments will soon add up :)

I've had an on-off relationship with Lovefilm for a few years! If you use it a lot, it's certainly worth 9.99 a month. I was paying £11.50 for unlimited movies and games, 2 discs at a time. Which really is a bargain, but after a couple months the novelty wore off and I didn't get round to watching stuff, so ended up sitting on discs for weeks. I switched to the online only, and have been paying £5 a month for that for probably about a year, and have rarely used it, so only just cancelled it. I have a lot of blurays we haven't watched yet (from pre-MSE times... :o ) and OH buys quite a lot so we always have things to watch anyway.

It's definitely a good idea to put some away each week for the electricity bill so you don't have such a big lump to pay for in one go. You roughly know how much it costs you, so split it down monthly, and put away that amount each month so when the bill comes you don't even feel it :)

Hope you have a good day - and a lovely weekend! x
  • misstara
    Forumite
    Hey Tara

You're doing really well - don't feel disheartened! 2017 may sound far away but really, three years is nothing - and if you keep plowing on as you're doing, that date willl keep getting brought forward. All those micropayments will soon add up :)

I've had an on-off relationship with Lovefilm for a few years! If you use it a lot, it's certainly worth 9.99 a month. I was paying £11.50 for unlimited movies and games, 2 discs at a time. Which really is a bargain, but after a couple months the novelty wore off and I didn't get round to watching stuff, so ended up sitting on discs for weeks. I switched to the online only, and have been paying £5 a month for that for probably about a year, and have rarely used it, so only just cancelled it. I have a lot of blurays we haven't watched yet (from pre-MSE times... :o ) and OH buys quite a lot so we always have things to watch anyway.

It's definitely a good idea to put some away each week for the electricity bill so you don't have such a big lump to pay for in one go. You roughly know how much it costs you, so split it down monthly, and put away that amount each month so when the bill comes you don't even feel it :)

Hope you have a good day - and a lovely weekend! x

Thanks, 2017 does seem ages away but I'm hopeful I can bring it forward. You're right, the little payments do all make a difference and I don't even really notice them as its just the odd amounts in my account once DDs come out or when I've been paid.

We've had Lovefilm for about 4 years and do make good use of it. Before getting it we would probably buy a few DVDs every week so it really has saved an absolute fortune.

There is roughly 13 weeks until the next electricity bill so will put by 10.00-15.00 a week which will give me enough to cover it.

Am so excited about this weekend. Will be so lovely to be in Edinburgh and to see friends and family. I have set myself a budget of 50.00 - just have to make sure I don't have one too many drinks and forget all about it! Hope you have a lovely weekend too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure