Wishing on an ickle star

Comments

• fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Great to hear from you ickle :)
    I hope DD feels better soon.

It sounds like you have been really busy with the shop- I hope it is all going smoothly and well done for continuing your frugality in spite of lige being so hectic :)
    Jan 2013-£140,231.65
    Jan 2014-£120,081.94
  • icklehelen
    icklehelen Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Thanks fothers! Hope all is well with you?

It's been a very cheap weekend here - no spends at all. We were meant to be at friends for Sunday dinner, they cancelled but found a duck crown in the freezer - WINNER! :j

I have managed to do quite a lot of shop paperwork and getting ready for the end of year! Found some old programmes to watch while I was sorting the paperwork and have got some fab ideas for our garden thanks to superscrimpers - we may get our decking done this year after all!

I've also set my OP target for this year - £5000. This is made up of the set OP, extra pennies I find and a savings account that is due to mature and I can't seem to find a new account that will be worth saving again - any tips gladly welcome although the thought of a large OP gives me goosebumps! :D

DD is still poorly but luckily my dad has offered to have her! DH and I will go to work in separate cars so I can come home early (I have to go in but hopefully can leave around lunch time) Its extra diesel but a small price to pay! It'll also be the first time I'm paying for nursery that she hasn't attended :( May have to travel via a shop too as the Calpol is running low!

Will make good use of tomorrow afternoon and make leek and potato soup for mine and DH's lunches later in the week. May also bake if I'm in the mood!

Time to turn in - really wish weekends were at least 4 days long, Monday's come around far too quickly!

ickle
    Total OPs 2012 - 2019 £39744.75
    Target 2020 £18500/£18500
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Mondays – urgh! :(

My dad picked up DD so I could go to work. Was home by 1pm and had managed to sort things so I can be off with her again tomorrow. She's starting to show signs of improvement and her temperature is starting to come down! However I'm feeling 'off' now but hoping it's just tiredness!

So have spent some time this afternoon thinking about the next few months, what we need to spend on and a few other wants!

Needs
    House Insurance renewal – I pay this annually to save fees then put aside money each month to pay next year
    Car Insurance renewal – same as above
    I'll be using all the usual sites to get the best deals and any cash back that's available for these.

Bed for DD – at 2.5 years old she's still in her cot!! :o She's happy and has never attempted an escape but we need to decide between a toddler bed and a full size single soon. She's so small I feel she'd be better in a toddler one but it seems a waste of money as we'll have to buy a full size in the end!

Garden fence – after 7 years of bodging repairs it finally gave in to the winds a few weeks ago. We're awaiting quotes as no time to DIY sadly.

Garage roof – we've been having issues with this for the last year but DH has constructed an internal guttering system which is keeping the problems at bay.

Wants
    Decking and sorting out the back garden – I'd really like to get this done before the summer so we can make use of it. The garden is ok and there is a bit of lawn for DD to play on but it does need a good tidy up at the least.

Slow cooker – I have a small one that was my mums but I'd like one that I can batch cook in.

My wants list is much longer but I'm trying to be sensible!!! :rotfl:

Better turn in - I'll need the energy for tomorrow if DD is getting back to normal toddler mayhem!

ickle
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Being off work has certainly come in handy - just been looking at our landline and broadband package and realised we've had it for a year! I knew it was coming up but thought May not March!

So I wonder what I'll be doing this afternoon . . . ?
    • Check old contract (make sure it is 12months)
    • Shop around using cashback sites
    • Pay for line rental up front
    • Tidy up paperwork in spare room (AKA the room of doom)
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    edited 24 April 2014 at 10:29PM
    Keeping my diary up to date is proving to be harder than I thought!! Although keeping on top of anything is proving to be quite difficult at the moment!

I'm on annual leave this and next week though so planning to get back on track. Lots of sorting to do so putting my to do list on here – then I can keep checking in and hopefully update more regularly with my progress! I'm hoping that the time off will also refresh and reinvigorate me – life is getting on top of me at the moment – need to start living, not just surviving!! If you're reading this Mr Weatherman - some sunshine would really help :cool:

Most of my earlier post's to do list are below although DD's bed is now sorted – we lowered the cot to its bottom position and took off the drop side to see how she did. First night she was amazed that she could get out but after two visits from her she went to sleep no bother. She loves it and it just looks like a day bed with very high sides! It is really sturdy so I think it will do until she is big enough for a full size single. :D

So my to do list:

House
    • Spring Clean (already done our bedroom, DD's bedroom and bathroom)
      - Spare bedroom
      [STRIKE]- Lounge[/STRIKE]
      [STRIKE]- Dining Room[/STRIKE]
      - Kitchen
      - Loft/Study
      - Garage
    • [STRIKE]Sort clothes etc to be weighed in/go charity shop/tip/sell[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Order a new black bin (ours has split)[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Defrost outside freezer[/STRIKE]
    • Clean indoor fridge and freezer
    • [STRIKE]Update inventory of freezer contents[/STRIKE]
    • Update inventory of dry cupboard contents

Garden
    • [STRIKE]Mow lawns[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Weeding[/STRIKE]
      [STRIKE]
    • Planting seeds[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Planting pots[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Tidy up[/STRIKE]

Money/Paperwork
    • House Insurance
    • Car Insurance
    • [STRIKE]Tel/BB (MUST SORT ASAP!!)[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Mobile phones[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]General check of accounts etc[/STRIKE]
    • [STRIKE]Decide on current account cost - is it worth it??[/STRIKE]

Business
    • END OF YEAR!!!
    • Budgets and forecasting for Y2
    • Website
    • Insurance
    • Update Risk Assessments
    • Update staff folders

DIY
    • Garage Roof
    • Decking
    • Garden Fence
    • Fix toilet
    • Reseal shower cubicle

Some of these are long term and money dependent but if they on here in black and white then they're not playing on my mind but I can plan them in.

Better get started :eek:

EDIT: Filled in form on Council website regarding split bin. Already had email to say it will be replaced with 7-10 days! :T
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Just sorted the Broadband - saving £6.50 per month to what I'm paying now - would be an even bigger saving of £22 if I compared to the price post contract :eek:
    Oh and ordered through TCB so hopefully £31.50 to come back to me. Up front line rental on new 0% card and money already in my stooze account :A

Now onto mobile phones - contracts are up in May so could upgrade now or change in a few weeks . . . choices!
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I love reading people's to do lists, it reminds me what I need to get done!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • icklehelen
    Hi Goldiegirl :wave: Hope your list isn't as onerous as mine!

So over the past few days I've managed to tick a few things off my list. It would have been more but DH sent me out to look for some items for the shop which took a LOOOONG time with a toddler in tow! I've also had a few trips to the vet as one of our moggies is off colour so we're back and forward for tests :(

Weighed in rather a lot at the cash for clothes place nearby - £28.50. Think we might put this in the household piggy for a few takeaways and treats. We only really do essential spending at the moment so this might just give us a little boost and help us keep going!

Quite a few other items are started such as the year end for the shop and I've been looking into SIM only deals for when our mobile phone contracts end.

Need to start thinking about birthday presents as the end of April is busy (5 family members on one day!)

Time to get DD into bed as DH is on his way home from work and will be hungry!
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    Another few jobs done and also tidied up the dumping ground aka the hallway and found 38p!

News from the vet was not good but could have been worse. She is in the early stages of kidney failure but can be treated with a special diet. More expensive than her normal food but luckily we're on a direct debit plan with the vet so get all treatment at a reduced cost and she's worth it!!! cute-kitty-with-big-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif Biggest problem will be feeding two cats different meals!

We spent £7.50 from the clothes money last night on a take away. A favourite of ours and it fed all three of us (with a little extra salad). Keeping the rest for treats over the bank holiday weekend as we're staying with friends Sun - Mon.

We've decided to end our mobile contracts and try out a SIM only deal. The savings are extreme although partly because the contract had more minutes and texts than either of us used! So instead of paying out £45 a month for our two phones it will be £7. We do need new phones though :o DH has found a nearly new one on Gumtree which he is picking up after work - they've already dropped the price just by him showing interest! Me on the other hand am either being brave or stupid - and looking at non branded phones. Found one on Am@zon that looks to be what I need and with vouchers from Xmas and S&S it won't cost much at all!

My dad is having DD for 2 days next week so I can go to the shop with DH. Hopefully I'll get quite a few jobs done such as the risk assessments and staff folders alongside serving customers. Although being Easter week it will (hopefully) be busy!! :D
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
  • icklehelen
    This week is flying by!

Big spend last weekend on a much needed lawn mower (a cheapy with extra 20% off). However it did mean that DH could mow the lawn without the faff of borrowing one. I've also managed to complete the garden part of the to do list thanks to the nice weather.

Spent two days in the shop - it was a VERY busy week! Have started on the year end and next years budgets/forecasting too.

DH loves his new phone. I need to order mine soon! My dad has given me some more vouchers so it shouldn't cost me anything. :j Got my PAC for my number yesterday - took the best part of an hour :( They tried to keep me as a customer but their offers were not right for me.

Not going to friends tomorrow after all. DD has croup again which has turned her into a grumpy, whiney, terrible two-er!! Its a shame but will probably save us quite a few pennies!!

Hoping she'll be a bit better in the morning to do an egg hunt and spend a bit of time with my mum and dad.

Thursday was payday so have transferred monies to the pots they need to be in. Main account looks really good but as DH's car insurance is due that won't last for long!
    01/05/2020 MORTGAGE FREE
    MFiT-T4 #03 MFW2019 #3
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills