Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    Woohoo! :j Congrats!!! :beer: :T :cool:
  • Miss_money_penny
    Options
    Well done Juststuff!! :T:T Amazing achievement!!!!

We were on similar numbers a few years ago... unfortuantely I went the other way and borrowed more :o my debt is now just under £50k :(

So well done you on sticking to your original goals. Think of me still plodding along as you spend that spare cash! :p
    April 2021: Total debt £16016

Goal: Dec 21: £12000
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fantastic - well done :dance::dance::dance:

:j:j:T:T:beer::beer:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Only just saw this now - that's fantastic, we'll done! :j How does it feel? :heart2:
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • EatingTheElephant
    Options
    Huge congratulations :T:T:T
  • juststuff123
    juststuff123 Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments and kind words! I do feel good, although I didn't get that weight off my shoulders feeling - I guess because towards the end especially, my mortgage wasn't really a burden.

I didn't do much saving this month - my normal mortgage payment money went on a new computer instead of the savings account. It was necessary though, my last one was at the end of its life. I can claim it a business expense though.

I went on my sister's hen a few weeks ago - we went to Alton Towers. I didn't do any of the big rides but it was still a nice weekend.

I went up to Edinburgh work for a couple of days last month. I do love that city. IT was busier than I remembered but just as hilly!

I went to a couple of Lectures in Anglo Saxon Britain, they were really interesting one of them was by Janina Ramirez.

I did my first Pilates teacher training workshop at the end of the June, it was a very full on 3 days but I passed my first exam so that's good. And I’m now insured to teach beginners. I'll probably start lessons in August.

My updated signature
    NEW GOAL – Mortgage Balance £0k & £50k Savings by Feb 2020
    MORTGAGE: – £0 / £0
    SAVINGS: – £33936 / £50000
    CREDIT CARD: – £7980 / £0
    GOAL:- £350k in Savings by September 2025 SAVINGS: – £274,704 COMPLETE GOALS - Debt Free, Mortgage Free, £250k Savings Save 12k in 2024 #12 = £46,452 / £130,000
  • juststuff123
    Options
    Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted. I've felt a bit adrift since paying the mortgage. It was such a big goal, that I don't really know what to do with myself now it's gone. I find myself being more 'extravagant' with my purchases and letting myself buy things I wouldn't have allowed before. Like a new computer (needed but I spent more that I would normally have), and an aerial hoop and rig. So I need to get back on track.

Since the mortgage is gone my Credit card debt seems to have become less tolerable to me. It's all 0% but £9000 all of a sudden seems huge to me, so I want to get this gone ASAP even though it's not the sensible thing to do. I paid about £3500 this month and upped the monthly DD. I'm not goin to wait for the 0% deal to come to an end. I want to be truly debt free. I need to keep a certain amount in savings to cover all the bank account conditions I need to meet, so I can't pay the whole lot in one great whack.

I've been busy teaching and practicing teaching Pilates. It's going quite well.

My Status update

NEW GOAL – Mortgage Balance £0k & £50k Savings by Feb 2020
    SAVINGS: – £30000 / £50000
    CREDIT CARD: – £5859 / £0
    GOAL:- £350k in Savings by September 2025 SAVINGS: – £274,704 COMPLETE GOALS - Debt Free, Mortgage Free, £250k Savings Save 12k in 2024 #12 = £46,452 / £130,000
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Since the mortgage is gone my Credit card debt seems to have become less tolerable to me. It's all 0% but £9000 all of a sudden seems huge to me, so I want to get this gone ASAP even though it's not the sensible thing to do. I paid about £3500 this month and upped the monthly DD. I'm not goin to wait for the 0% deal to come to an end. I want to be truly debt free.

I get that. I took out a 0% CC with a 28 month term - and paid the amount off that I put on it in about 6 months, from memory. I'd happily take out another one - I think they're great as an interest free way of temporarily managing cash flow, but I wouldn't want anything on it long term :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • juststuff123
    Options
    Wow, well it's been about 6 months since I last updated this diary!

So what have i been up to? Well, my teaching job is going pretty well, and I've now qualified as a Pilates teacher so I've done a little bit of cover work there. I still have my full time job, so i'm pretty exhausted at the moment. The latest update from work will be that there will not be a bonus this year. This doesn't surprise me. They set the bar ridiculously high. And as a form of motivation it failed miserably. The directors here are utterly useless so what else could I expect. At least I have my other job to supplement my income instead.

I had a crazy phase just after Christmas, I had wood floors put down in some rooms of my home, I re-painted, bought a new fireplace, fire, sofa, curtains, soft furnishings, had hive installed and still have plans to re-do the bedrooms too (Although the craziness has some what worn off and now i'm back to penny pinching!) So i'll see how far I actually manage to get. This splurging means i haven't made a dent in the credit card debt. My current plan is to pay it off with the savings I have in my Tesco accounts when they drop the interest rate in June.

My Sister is in the process of buying a house, Dad is giving her a large contribution towards the deposit. So he's giving me the same in cash. So I've updates my goal from £50 saving in Feb 2020 to £100k. I don't really know what to do with it! Hopefully I'll get some before the end of this tax year so I can shove it into an ISA while I decide. I suppose I should go over to the investment boards to get some ideas. They aren't such a friendly bunch over there though. My funding circle (P2P) experiment has gone very badly. I haven't lost anything yet but I've made £5 in the last 12 months, my loans keep defaulting. So I'll let the rest of the loans run there course and then get out of the P2P lending game.

I opened a new RBS account to get the £100 switching bonus, opened a nutmeg ISA to get the £200 joining bonus and recommended a friend to nationwide and got £100 for that. I've just done my sweep of interest savings from my various accounts into my main account for the end of the tax year as well as take the accrued cash fro Topcashback, quidco and medicash.

I'll be ready to submit my self assessment tax forms at the beginning of April, my business is still in debt so no tax bill for me this year, next year will probably be a different story. I don't think i'll hit the £1000 interest on savings limit this year or I'll only just go over so I'll have very little to owe the tax man there.

Hmm? I can't think of anything else right now, I'll try not to leave it another 6 months before my next post!

My Signature

NEW GOAL – Mortgage Balance £0k & £100k Savings by Feb 2020
    SAVINGS: – £36000 / £100,000
    CREDIT CARD: – £6500 / £0
    COMPLETE - MFW & DFW - Goal - Debt Neutral – COMPLETE
    2018 MFW #152: £26,100/£26,100 / MFiT-T4 #80: £45,232/£45,232
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure