Average Electricity Costs Poll

Comments

• Leeolly
    Leeolly Posts: 5 Forumite
    I got my electricity bill yest it is £660 for 3 months? I pay £110 per month on DD, and £42 for the gas, I now owe another £300 on the elec and £160 on the gas as that was £667 for 6 months both with the same supplier. I've been complaining something can't be right as I am a normal 3 bed semi, 4 people (17 - 42) all new white goods over 2 years, energy saving everything and still I can not get my bills down. Spoken to so many people who say something is so so wrong here but can't get any sense out of Southern Electric other than thats what you need to pay as you've used it. What would be your next move, the CAB ? I'm stumped

get them to fit a check meter along side your existing meter, i also had huge bills and it went on for ages and i got the same old s**t every time i called to complain.

It turned out that my meter is running almost 5 times too fast, it is a digital meter too which i was told dont go wrong. I am now on quest to claim back lots of money, good luck.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    What would be your next move, the CAB ? I'm stumped

Read your meters at the same time every day for a few days. How many kwh do you per day, on average?
  • I read and note my meter twice a day. I do it at 10:00 and 22:00, my average usage is 9kWHr/day consisting of 3 units between 22:00 and 10:00 and 6 units between 10:00 and 22:00.

The washing machine is the "greediest" item using around 2.7 units per wash on 90 degrees. We have a seperate fridge and freezer, a wallwart for the cordless telephone, The TV, freeview box, video, computer equipment etc are all switched off at the socket when not in use.

We have a burglar alarm, also a CCTV system, with 2 cameras, a time lapse VCR, PIR light and a 7 watt patio bulkhead light that goes on all night, this security system consumes 1.2 units a day
  • lnjk
    lnjk Posts: 895 Forumite
    Does anyone know how much a unit for electricity with EDf costs?

Thanks
  • lnjk wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much a unit for electricity with EDf costs?

Thanks

Go to the EDF website or look at your statement
  • lnjk
    lnjk Posts: 895 Forumite
    I havent accessed online before and didnt realise you can, the reason I was asking was a little help as i have not received my first bill and would like to know roughly how much it is going to be, that is what this site is for, HELPING people out, so please dont go around giving these angry signs if you dont know what this site is for!!!!!!
  • andrew_b_5
    andrew_b_5 Posts: 20 Forumite
    lnjk wrote: »
    I havent accessed online before and didnt realise you can, the reason I was asking was a little help as i have not received my first bill and would like to know roughly how much it is going to be, that is what this site is for, HELPING people out, so please dont go around giving these angry signs if you dont know what this site is for!!!!!!

So sorry, I clicked the wrong emote.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    lnjk wrote: »
    I havent accessed online before and didnt realise you can,

Check out the EDF website and look at the products section. More info, or something similar will open a page with a link to a pdf file with prices.
  • andie666
    andie666 Posts: 39 Forumite
    I'm on Edf standard tariff and payin 9.94ppu at the moment.
  • i have been with british gas ( ripped off )
    i have been with n power ( ripped off )
    i have been with southern electric ( ripped off )
    and finaly i have been with scottish power for a couple of years and have slowly made their way to " ripping me off " .
    i pay monthly £80 for electric and £40 for gas but as usual they want
    more i only have a gas fire and cooker but they want £58 for gas even though i am in credit . i live in a two bed semi with husband and one twelve year old the house is fully double glazed i have had loft & cavity wall insulation done a couple of years ago and has not made any difference to my bills.so now i have found a small company called EBICO they will be saving me around £280 a year. so i have my fingers crossed that this will be a better move.
    No doubt the money that i save will go to towards my rising water bill, council tax, prescription charges etc ,ect, ect
    oh is'nt it great to be british:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport