1 day consultancy

Hi
I have been offered 1 days consultancy. Do I need to register for VAT? Do I need to charge vat on the invoice and does anyone have an invoice tool?

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No you don't need to register unless the work is valued at over £85k (VAT registration threshold).

If you're not registered, you can't charge VAT and you can't mention VAT on your invoice at all.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pennywise wrote: »
    No you don't need to register unless the work is valued at over £85k (VAT registration threshold).

If you're not registered, you can't charge VAT and you can't mention VAT on your invoice at all.

Just to pedantic. I am not VAT registered and state on my invoices "that I am not VAT registered and do not charge VAT". I do it as when I sent out my first invoices without any mention of VAT, some clients would query whether my invoice included VAT. Is this a good idea or is it even legal?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    Just to pedantic. I am not VAT registered and state on my invoices "that I am not VAT registered and do not charge VAT". I do it as when I sent out my first invoices without any mention of VAT, some clients would query whether my invoice included VAT. Is this a good idea or is it even legal?

I think this is a good idea and in my opinion it is legal - there are certain prescribed items that must be included on an invoice to make it a VAT Invoice, and a VAT registered company must issue a VAT invoice when it has charged VAT, but saying that " I am not VAT registered and do not charge VAT" does not make the invoice a VAT invoice, so I can't see that you are breaking the law by issuing such an invoice.

I can't find anywhere where the primary legislation or HMRC guidance says that an invoice cannot have the word VAT on it, but I might have missed it somehow, so if anyone knows where the primary legislation that states this is to be found, please let me know.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    An invoice must have your name and address on it if you are sole trader. A full list of what you must put on an invoice in the UK can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers/invoices-what-they-must-include

Note this varies from country to country so I would not use just any old template as many are designed just for the USA.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure