The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt

Comments

• FreeBee00
    FreeBee00 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Aside from every single bagged product - chips, crackers, rice cakes - being filled less than halfway full, I think what I have noticed shrinking the most is bread size. To me it seems like the slices are thinner and smaller. They used to be so much bigger, making for much better sandwiches and filling pieces of toast. Now two barely cut it.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Tesco's Brussel Sprouts were 500grams for a £1 a month ago. Now the bags are 300grams for £1.
  • Middy
    Middy Posts: 5,394 Forumite
    Tesco's Brussel Sprouts were 500grams for a £1 a month ago. Now the bags are 300grams for £1.

Could be the fact they are getting to the end of season.
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Middy wrote: »
    Could be the fact they are getting to the end of season.
    Yes that's right but, still, a 66% price increase..? :think:
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• alexlyne
    alexlyne Posts: 740 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    FreeBee00 wrote: »
    Aside from every single bagged product - chips, crackers, rice cakes - being filled less than halfway full, I think what I have noticed shrinking the most is bread size. To me it seems like the slices are thinner and smaller. They used to be so much bigger, making for much better sandwiches and filling pieces of toast. Now two barely cut it.

Full loaves of packed bread have always been 800g... Though haven't checked recently. Though I do find myself always buying thick sliced as the medium is too thin. I guess slices have got thinner, there was once a time when you could get thin sliced bread... no more. But if it's still 800g you're getting no less for the money.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    RHYSDAD wrote: »
    Yes that's right but, still, a 66% price increase..? :think:

They do it every year and it goes back to 1kg for £1 nearer December each year too. Its just a seasonal thing, they have to import them from another country and this is just the result. Keep an eye on the Strawberrys and Melon, they will drop in price to £1 per 400g as the seasons go on then climb right back up to £4 a 400g punnet again when they are out of season. Just depends on how far away they are flying them in.

http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk/foodseasons.htm
    (click on the food or month to find out whats in when).
  • ambercat
    ambercat Posts: 28 Forumite
    When I re-arranged the tins in my larder (I know, sad isnt it!) I found a silver label Branston Beans was taller than the newer ones. Silver label 420grm new label 410grm, shrunk 10 grms !
  • Teg-Rem
    Teg-Rem Posts: 97 Forumite
    yes, Aldi crisps are "shrinking" in size. Used to sell 8 bags for 99p, now it's reduced to 6 bags for 99p. Notice this on Saturday when I shopped there. That amount will go nowhere the way my lot eat them.
  • Toki
    Toki Posts: 288 Forumite
    Toki wrote: »
    Tesco have reduced the number of milk choc ices from 10 to 8, price stays at £1 so a price rise of 25% from 10p per choc ice to 12.5p.

So have Asda incidentally. Funny how they both did that at the same time!
  • Toki
    Toki Posts: 288 Forumite
    Dairylea cheese spread, was 200 gram tubs you got, notice these are now 160 grams for exactly the same price as before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure