Boiler advice - sending back parts not needed

arrond
arrond Posts: 31 Forumite
edited 16 January 2020 at 5:36PM in Energy
I have a broken combi boiler. The gas engineer told us it was likely the gas valve that was the cause, and came and fitted a new one today (cost £40 for initial diagnosis and £220 to buy and fit the part).

The boiler is still not working, and apparently it could be the PCB that is faulty. This is probably not economical to replace as the boiler is around 9 years old we believe (I think the part will be around £300 plus fitting).

I can get a new boiler fitted for around £1,600. Is the heating engineer able to send back the new gas valve from our existing boiler so we can at least recoup some of the already sunk cost or is this not usually possible? It has only been fitted today and the boiler has fired up and then immediately cut out.

Comments

• arrond
    So we are going to go for a new boiler, but that means we spent £260 for no reason. Is there any comeback on the heating engineer for this, as he told us we needed a gas valve, and that wasn't actually the issue?
  • Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    arrond wrote: »
    The gas engineer told us it was likely the gas valve

it could be the PCB that is faulty.

I would be looking for a diagnosis from someone else first. A boiler should be giving more than 9 years service.
  • Benight
    Benight Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Post
    I have a broken combi boiler. The gas engineer told us it was likely the gas valve that was the cause, and came and fitted a new one today (cost £40 for initial diagnosis and £220 to buy and fit the part).

The boiler is still not working, and apparently it could be the PCB that is faulty. This is probably not economical to replace as the boiler is around 9 years old we believe (I think the part will be around £300 plus fitting).

I can get a new boiler fitted for around £1,600. Is the heating engineer able to send back the new gas valve from our existing boiler so we can at least recoup some of the already sunk cost or is this not usually possible? It has only been fitted today and the boiler has fired up and then immediately cut out.

So the purchased part itself is not faulty?

How was the part purchased?
    If in store, there is no obligation on the seller to refund.
    If purchased remotely (online, by telephone, etc) then the buyer can reject the part for no reason within 14 days of receipt. The buyer then has a further 14 days to return said part. Part must be in in a resaleable condition (unmarked, in it's original, undamaged packaging, etc)
  • arrond
    Part must be in in a resaleable condition (unmarked, in it's original, undamaged packaging, etc)

I guess the fact that the part was fitted (although then removed again when it was realised that it wasn't the problem), means even distance selling refund wouldn't apply?
  • arrond
    I would be looking for a diagnosis from someone else first. A boiler should be giving more than 9 years service.

I was going to replace next year anyway, it was been tempermental since we moved into the house a year ago. It is a Ferroli and apparently notorious for problems.

I guess the "it's probably this, and then oh maybe it's that" is just something that comes with the territory, a bit like with mechanics sometimes?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I guess the fact that the part was fitted (although then removed again when it was realised that it wasn't the problem), means even distance selling refund wouldn't apply?

Yes, it became secondhand the moment it was fitted. Ebay as such though, you'll get a fair bit back, especially if you wait for one of Ebay's sell for £1 offers.
  • arrond
    Yes, it became secondhand the moment it was fitted. Ebay as such though, you'll get a fair bit back, especially if you wait for one of Ebay's sell for £1 offers.

Yes, that is what I will most likely do; just need to find out how much the plumber paid for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure