IVA Help

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if you could help me?

I'm currently in 34k worth of debt and now struggling to meet the monthly minimum payments.

I have been thinking about an IVA however on speaking to PayPlan today with regards to it. I let them know I was in a relationship (only been together a year, however, all is going well).

Having spoken to Payplan they want me to disclose his income and outgoings. I thought as it was my debt why? would they want to know? I have spoken to my partner about it but they are not happy about disclosing this information.

Would they refuse an IVA if the information was not disclosed?

What should I or can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Jack

Are you living with your partner? If so, you will be asked to provide details of their income and all of the household outgoings to ensure you split the household bills fairly and proportionally. Your partner cannot be held liable for your debts so won't have to contribute anything towards them. From the information you provide the IVA company will be able to see how much you personally have available to offer your debts each month.

If your partner declines to give this information it will be down to the IVA company whether they will still arrange an IVA for you, but you may find some decline because they won't know if you are paying a fair share of the household bills.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure