Rejoined gym, give me some tips.

As in I know people aren't trainers on here but more a few starter tips.

I went to mine today and felt overwhelmed as I was just shown round and not how to use machines, im obese and like the treadmill and exercise bike but want to use weights and cardio.

I did go to a gym last year but only went a few times as it was small and uncomfortable and many of the people there were Eastern European even the staff so if I asked for help I got a blank stare, and it was quite a small gym even though it was open 24 hours)

However a good thing there was there was paper towels and spray for every machine to get rid of sweat, current one doesn't have this facility so im thinking bring a small spray of something but what (maybe watered down vinegar or is that too horrible smelling) and a cloth as being obese I can sweat heavily.

Just after some newbie advice really.

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'd ask if they have a personal trainer there or someone who can assess your fitness, give you a programme and show you how the machines work

Is it one of these 24/7 no frills gyms? I haven't used one but I think they are sometimes a bit short on staff

Do they do classes? If so, might be worth trying one of those where there is a teacher who can keep an eye on you and make sure you work at the right level
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Firstly you need to have a program. Something to work towards, something to progress in. Something that gives you an exact idea of what you are doing on that particular day. It's no good going down with a vague notion of "i'll do a few curls and some squats". This leads to inefficient sessions and will make you less likely to return.

I would look up something like "starting strength" which just concentrates on 5 basic moves and has set progression. Look up some vids of this and see what you think. If you are heavily overweight you will need to throw in some cardio, but at this time of year I'd be going for nice (fast) walks outside rather than spinning an exercise bike.

Secondly, you need to go enough to get through the "chore" stage. Everyone gets this at first (If I take a long break I end up feeling demotivated). Once you start seeing results, start seeing numbers increasing, and your brain recognizes the endorphins fro exercise, you go from dreading the gym to dreading rest days.

Thirdly ignore everyone else, the gym is about you and you alone. Get some music on and immerse yourself. Just take a hand towel for the sweat, they have people paid to clean the machines and we all sweat.

Good luck!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    At my last gym there was terms that mentioned something like it was required to wipe down the equipment after use, don't think there was a financial charge but mentioned it can be logged onto your membership I think it inferred it was a rule and if you broke too many rules you can be banned.

There is paid (£1 per level) steps like steps 1-5 for weights etc that can be used on a app.

I used to go the gym for 2-3 hours daily when I was 20 (into my mid 30s now) and my preferences haven't changed just my fitness, still want to use bike, treadmill, rowing machine, step machine and some cardio its just even when I first started back then it wasn't this hard!

So I don't think of it as a chore just unsure as been out of it so long what to aim for, settings on machines etc, today I just went on warm up and cool down on bike, then 10 minutes on treadmill manually increasing incline and speed and felt something (and now can't sleep as brain is alert)

Not going tomorrow/today though I want to as the main road there is closed and as is takes like 35 minutes to get there, will be double tomorrow, will go on Wednesday though.

Oh another thing is workout clothes, as in I have a skin condition that gives me clammy skin, factor in im going to be sweating at gym wondered best idea for a top bearing in mind I do 1 wash in machine a week so don't want to waste t shirts on something I have worn for just a hour and have them stink out my washing basket!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    dekaspace wrote: »
    As in I know people aren't trainers on here but more a few starter tips.

I went to mine today and felt overwhelmed as I was just shown round and not how to use machines, im obese and like the treadmill and exercise bike but want to use weights and cardio.

I did go to a gym last year but only went a few times as it was small and uncomfortable and many of the people there were Eastern European even the staff so if I asked for help I got a blank stare, and it was quite a small gym even though it was open 24 hours)

However a good thing there was there was paper towels and spray for every machine to get rid of sweat, current one doesn't have this facility so im thinking bring a small spray of something but what (maybe watered down vinegar or is that too horrible smelling) and a cloth as being obese I can sweat heavily.

Just after some newbie advice really.
    Using equipment is potentially dangerous unless you know how to use it - and why (as in 'is it the right equipment for what I am trying to achieve'.)

It doesn't sound like a good gym.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It doesn't sound like a good gym.

I was thinking the same thing. Find a better gym more suited to your specific needs.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    One of the first things you need is a routine.... what exercises to do on what day. This will keep you focused and also a way of measuring your progress

Your routine depends on your goals but also what you enjoy doing.... no point going to the gym and working out if you hate jogging on a treadmill for 25 mins. There are many different ways to lose weight, classes, resistance training, cardio, HIIT...... you won't know what you enjoy until you try a few different routines or classes

Gym is only half the battle for weight loss/muscle gain/bulking out.... diet is equally as important!! No point working your butt off and burning off a 500 calories if you've been snacking on a pack of haribo.. you need to eat less calories than you're burnt off so your body uses its fat reserves instead for energy

Get rid of all the temptations from your cupboards and fridge, that way you cannot snack even if you wanted go. Don't go mad and eat a lettuce leaf for dinner but just try and eat 'clean'..... don't deep fry stuff, try and cook fresh instead of ready meals and half your portion sizes.... they'll be plenty of diet plans on the internet but again make sure you 'enjoy' the food you're having so its not a chore and therefore you're more likely to keep to it

With regards to wiping down machines, i wouldn't worry about carrying a disinfectant spray with you. Take a small hand towel and give the bench a wipe once you're done, if the gym is any good they will disinfect all the benches each night anyway.

I find normal cotton t-shirts too restrictive, make you too hot and horrible when sweaty. Pop to a sports outlet or even somewhere like sports direct and pick up a Clima cool or Dry Fit top (depending on manufacturer), these allow your body to breathe so you don't get clamy or too hot....cost about £10-£15. I have a couple of these tops just sitting in my gym bag and just pull out which ever one i grab first then wash them at the end of the week. Due to their material i find they dry out very quickly after a workout so can reuse the same one twice in a week without it smelling..... maybe just me being lazy ;o)

Good luck and well done :)
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks, well I almost never touch sweets like haribo nor deep fry things my diet is chicken flatbread at subway and 1 takeaway a week.

Yesterday funnily enough was a day for eating more as got some reduced stuff at Asda, ate like half a loaf of bread, a small bar of choccy on top of my usual flatbread meal.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    With the warm weather, a couple of hours on the line should freshen things up a bit.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Your nutrition sounds pretty awful. Suggest fixing that first.
  • Diet is the most important, when you have good diet, you can see effects of exercises. Good luck :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure