PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Noisy Neighbours/

Apologies for all my recent naive potential FTB newbie questions. Just wondering: most of the properties in my likely affordability bracket are terraced houses but through years of renting I know I'm a bit noise-sensitive. What fool-proof steps can potential buyers take when it comes to ensuring potential properties have sufficient noise insulation and/or neighbours are not of the antisocial variety?
---
100% debt-free!

Comments

• rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you're that sensitive perhaps don't buy a terraced house, whatever you do, don't move in then demand other people change their lives to accommodate you!
  • You need to buy a house that isnt attached to anything else to avoid neighbour noise.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Go for an end terrace preferably where the front doors are next to each other so that the living room is on the end furthest away from the neighbours.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Nothing foolproof, other than reducing the risk by having fewer neighbours.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Visit at different times of the day/night.

But, as above, nothing is foolproof, and you can't really tell if homes are rented or owned. The turnover of occupiers may be higher if rented. If bought, they could sell or rent it out at any time.

As someone mentioned, 'halls adjoining' is a good start. A semi with that would be better than a terrace (if poss).

I've lived in new, Victorian and '30s. I've been lucky with neighbours, but none have been silent!
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Beware converted properties. Older e.g. Victorian properties have thicker walls. Newer properties have to comply with sound insulation regulations.

Might be good neighbours today can change tomorrow. If you are noise intolerant, you might be better renting. Move on if neighbours become a problem.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As well as the above tips, ask when you visit about noise, if you are shown round by the estate agent ask them to enquire of the seller.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]They will probably lie to you or downgrade any problems they have had.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When you submit an offer make the estate agent aware you are relying on the answers you have been given about noise.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Then ask your solicitor to add a specific question to the enquiries before contract to confirm the answers you have been given are being relied on.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The above might help a little but in anything other than a detached house you are bound to get some noise through the walls and floors.[/FONT]
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]As well as the above tips, ask when you visit about noise, if you are shown round by the estate agent ask them to enquire of the seller.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]They will probably lie to you or downgrade any problems they have had.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When you submit an offer make the estate agent aware you are relying on the answers you have been given about noise.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Then ask your solicitor to add a specific question to the enquiries before contract to confirm the answers you have been given are being relied on.

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The above might help a little but in anything other than a detached house you are bound to get some noise through the walls and floors.[/FONT]

Problem is people like me who are not noise senistive, e.g. my Mum once came over and said you can hear the little girl cry next door, I couldn't, so they may not be lying.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    missile wrote: »
    Beware converted properties. Older e.g. Victorian properties have thicker walls. Newer properties have to comply with sound insulation regulations.

Depends. Older "standards" often didn't amount to much. My current place was converted into flats in the 1980s, and you can hear more through the (1880s) party wall than you can from the flat downstairs. A previous 1920s semi was much the same - could hear everything going on in next door's bathroom!
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ask when you visit about noise, if you are shown round by the estate agent ask them to enquire of the seller.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]

[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Then ask your solicitor to add a specific question to the enquiries before contract to confirm the answers you have been given are being relied on.[/FONT]

But what specific enquiries are you making? "Are the neighbours noisy" is too subjective. And it doesn't help that much - you still end up owning a property which you're unhappy with, but with the "bonus" of a potentially expensive and fruitless opportunity to sue the seller.
  • I live in a flat and have the quiestest neighbours ever, having lived in semis and mid terraced.

Detached is the only way to be sure!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family