PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Turnkey question

Our new home is turnkey. We paid the builder for the extras and he paid the suppliers as listed. Except for the tiler. We apparently have to pay him separately.
I'm suspicious about this as he has not produced an invoice, just an a4 page with his name mobile number and price. None of the works broken down or that the builder paid him £500 pc sum.
This tiler also took 2 weeks holiday which meant our handover was delayed.
He became very aggressive when we said this wasn't a proper invoice. What should we do? We haven't paid him yet!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    He's obviously self employed. What would you expect a "proper" invoice to have? Itemised every bit of tile adhesive, spacer, the different tiles, his labour? What difference would it make?
    You agreed a fee for a whole job, he's done the whole job. Pay him.

(oh BTW, tllers do get to have holidays. Its hardly his fault that your move coincided with his holiday. Did you really expect him to cancel it? If it didn't suit you could have used another one or if the builder wouldn't allow that, blame the builder.)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Who instructed the tiler? You or the builder?
    Who specified the work?
    Did you get a broken down quote for the work from the tiler?
    Is the tiler VAT registered? A sole trader? Ltd company?
    Does the work done meet your expectations?
    If not, what needs doing?
  • eithnemc
    eithnemc Posts: 32
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 11:37AM
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    He's obviously self employed. What would you expect a "proper" invoice to have? Itemised every bit of tile adhesive, spacer, the different tiles, his labour? What difference would it make?
    You agreed a fee for a whole job, he's done the whole job. Pay him.

(oh BTW, tllers do get to have holidays. Its hardly his fault that your move coincided with his holiday. Did you really expect him to cancel it? If it didn't suit you could have used another one or if the builder wouldn't allow that, blame the builder.)

Hi Joe I would expect the invoice to state work done ie kitchen bathroom breaking down value for each etc invoice to have his address - invoice number..
    The difference is why do we only pay this supplier and not the other suppliers which is making me suspicious
    It had to be this tiler, builder would not let any other on site. Just found out he lied about holiday. He was tiling another house
    We agreed a fee but he is not declaring the full fee on his supposedly invoice. Why? If anything goes wrong I only have a piece of paper for the lesser amount
  • G_M wrote: »
    Who instructed the tiler? You or the builder?
    Who specified the work?
    Did you get a broken down quote for the work from the tiler?
    Is the tiler VAT registered? A sole trader? Ltd company?
    Does the work done meet your expectations?
    If not, what needs doing?

Tiler sent text of breakdown,
    we don't know if he is vat registered as builder employed him...
    The work is fine it's just he is suspicious we have to pay tiler and not the other suppliers.
    His supposedly invoice does not include his address nor the £500 pc sum the builder paid him. So to us this is not a true invoice
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,431
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    eithnemc wrote: »
    The difference is why do we only pay this supplier and not the other suppliers which is making me suspicious

We agreed a fee but he is not declaring the full fee on his supposedly invoice. Why? If anything goes wrong I only have a piece of paper for the lesser amount

Because you agreed to when you signed on the dotted line.

He doesn't need to add the money paid to the builder for part of the work as this would be a different contract with a different person.

You wont have a lesser amount on paper. You will have the amount you paid for.

If you are happy with his work I would suggest just paying him and taking your query up with the builder if it is that much of a problem. This person has bills to pay and from what I can see he has done the job he was asked to do?
  • HampshireH wrote: »
    Because you agreed to when you signed on the dotted line.

He doesn't need to add the money paid to the builder for part of the work as this would be a different contract with a different person.

You wont have a lesser amount on paper. You will have the amount you paid for.

If you are happy with his work I would suggest just paying him and taking your query up with the builder if it is that much of a problem. This person has bills to pay and from what I can see he has done the job he was asked to do?

I just think there is a bit of hood winking the vat man and I don't want to be part of this...
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    eithnemc wrote: »
    I just think there is a bit of hood winking the vat man and I don't want to be part of this...

Why do you think this? Is there any mention of VAT? The current income threshold for someone to have to be VAT registered is £85K a year, would a tiler be earning that? If there IS a fiddle going on you would not be "part" of it.
    Years ago someone my husband did a lot of business with tried to fiddle the VAT man by claiming back VAT charged to his non registered business through his registered business, HE was the one in trouble, not my husband, it caused us some inconvenience due to an extra VAT inspection,but this was so they could see the invoices we had sent and check he hadn't made them up.

Just pay the man and get it out of the way!
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,431
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Not all businesses are VAT registered. It depends on their revenue per annum.

From the Gov dot UK website;

"You must register for VAT if:
    your VAT taxable turnover is more than £85,000 (the ‘threshold’) in a 12 month period
    you expect to go over the threshold in a single 30 day period
    You’ll also need to register if you only sell goods or services that are exempt from VAT or ‘out of scope’ but you buy goods for more than £85,000 from EU VAT-registered suppliers to use in your business.
    You may have to register for VAT if you take over a business that’s already registered."

I'm guessing his accountant is better placed to advise him of this.

It is possible he isn't VAT registered and that he is complaint with the law.

*post at the same time as rosy
  • Do you think I have the right to ask for an invoice dated with his address and work itemised for each room
  • rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Why not ask for an itemised receipt, with his address - for your records? He has to be paid no matter what though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure