PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making an offer on a old house

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 9:46PM
    Utterly Ridiculous.

What do you do with these houses once you've been involved in buying and renovated them, Bxboards?

Hands up who lives in a house that isn't listed with single glazing these days?!

What happens when the plaster falls off the wall when the wallpaper is removed? That is what 20 years of renovation experience tells me happens in any house approaching a century in age that hasn't already been replastered.

Nearly everything on that list is a bodge. A bodge until the inevitable happens and it all needs doing either because you've eeked the very last drop of life out of things that should have been replaced and enjoyed by the person buying the house (not the people after them) or whacked cheap rubbish in that won't even last five years. £500 on bathrooms, £600 on carpet, painting your own home white. Watch me drop my knickers at a £600 kitchen that looks like £4000. :rolleyes:

I appreciate that some lack the funds to pay for quality that lasts, but suggesting that vendors shouldn't drop their prices and that buyers should lump paying huge sums for houses that cost far more than their component parts to then put in the very cheapest of fittings to compensate is almost sickening. It sounds like what miserly landlords give to tenants. Because tenants don't deserve quality when the landlord's yields are at risk.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doozer... you're definitely getting a different idea to most people here.

Fact is, and we're talking in general here, that two identical houses on the same street, one has modern fittings, and one has 30 year old fittings, are going to be on the market at DIFFERENT prices. The asking price reflects the level of finish in a house. But you know this and seem to be creating your own argument for some reason!

You can assume that the asking price of a house (in theory, market forces and buyer optimism aside) reflects the value of the house in it's present condition. I wouldn't buy a house at an inflated price because someone says it potentially could be worth that much after renovations!

So it should be considered unreasonable to offer less because a house needs new bathrooms. The chances are that the asking price is lower than a house with a new set of rooms.

That's all!
  • Doozergirl
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:38PM
    I haven't created the argument at all. I disagree with people who think that vendors don't need to pay for upgrades to single glazing and 30 year old bathrooms.

It was fabricated that the OP was after an unreasonable price drop and they came back and clarified that their OP said all it needed to say.

The answers given most recently are that that not a lot needs doing (to any house, apparently) and that the price of the house is already reasonable. All this without even a set of details. Who is fabricating what, exactly?

And then we get an amateur developer/bodger wading in for measure, promising kitchens that look like they cost £4k and who values workmanship at nothing. I lie. We've got a £150 budget for labour so far on this renovation. Well meaning, but ridiculous.

Forgive me for not talking generally. There was a real person with a genuine question. I don't disagree that prices are supposed to reflect work, but they often don't and in a very specific sense, the OP is not to be criticised for wanting to research properly.

This board loves to find the holes to pick. It sounds like an echo chamber at times. Buy all renovation and expect to only do kitchens, bathrooms and decor? Scoff that they're amateur. Ask about developing property? Scoff at the amateurish idea. Actually ask what might need doing to a house? Scoff at them trying to rip the vendor off. Suggest that a bathroom needs replacing? Scoff that it's fine as long as there isn't a tin bath hanging from the wall. :)

The best thing you can do when buying a project? Buy the worst house you can find. Far fewer surprises when you expect to do everything.
  • doozergirl, you have said what I would say had you not, what on earth the rest of you are on about I have no idea.

Some people in this world look at a house, think yeah ok, make an offer, and then gut it and make it good/exceptional. If you aren't one of those people and think wall papering and painting is a renovation then the OP is clearly not asking for your input.

The OP is quite obviously asking for others prior experience in a potential renovation, and what they may have obviously missed! Nothing to do with a list of things to bargain a price down. Besides who offers on a property with a letter attached saying you don't like this and that etc. total nonsense
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    Doozer... you're definitely getting a different idea to most people here.

Fact is, and we're talking in general here, that two identical houses on the same street, one has modern fittings, and one has 30 year old fittings, are going to be on the market at DIFFERENT prices. The asking price reflects the level of finish in a house. But you know this and seem to be creating your own argument for some reason!

Agreed.

Value is in older houses that need work - if you have two houses, 1 at 70k and 1 at 100k, the 100k house will usually have the work done already. The 70k house will need / want stuff doing - so buy the 70k house, spend 5 or 10k on it, and turn it into a 100k house.

But these needs / wants are likely to be priced in, so is likely to be little scope for further reductions.
  • Doozergirl
    edited 7 September 2017 at 9:15AM
    bxboards wrote: »
    Agreed.

Value is in older houses that need work - if you have two houses, 1 at 70k and 1 at 100k, the 100k house will usually have the work done already. The 70k house will need / want stuff doing - so buy the 70k house, spend 5 or 10k on it, and turn it into a 100k house.

But these needs / wants are likely to be priced in, so is likely to be little scope for further reductions.

This is not what the thread was about. And you're wrong anyway.

Houses that have 30% reductions on them, especially that cheap need more than £5-10k spending on them.

Spending that little doesn't turn them into £100k houses. You're either conning people by papering over the cracks, quite literally, or the house was a bargain and would make £90k if marketed correctly.

I suspect the former from your previous posts. Which would make you the worst kind of property 'developer' with no integrity or pride in a job well done. All about the money and marketing a lie.
  • jas8085 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are considering making an offer on a house that needs modernisation. We really like the property.

It needs :
    Full rewiring
    Some gas/pipes work ( to move boiler from the kitchen into the garage)
    New Kitchen,
    New bathrooms,
    Skimming and painting walls (they are full of wallpaper now)
    Replace cieling
    Replace windows (single glazed at the moment)
    New carpets throughout

Anything else that is likely to need updating given that the vendors didn't do much in the 30 yrs they lived there (apart from installing gas heating). Anything I need to check or account for?

Hi there, I bought a house that hadn't been touched since about 1990, a lot hadn't been touched since it was built in the 60s. I did the big stuff at the beginning and am now slowly working my way through the smaller jobs.

In addition to what you've listed here, and without knowing what age/style of house it is, I would budget for:

New radiators, possibly adding more, some old houses only have one inefficient radiator for a large living room.

Some roof repairs, or possibly a new roof depending on the state of it/your survey, also the garage roof it is separate and especially if it is flat.

Floorboards, what are they like under those old carpets? Not a big job but you might some replacing, especially on stairs.

Insulation as mentioned above

Is there a garden? Has it been neglected? If so budget a fair amount of time and/or money for sorting it out.

Skips. Lots of skips.
  • Doozergirl
    Hi there, I bought a house that hadn't been touched since about 1990, a lot hadn't been touched since it was built in the 60s. I did the big stuff at the beginning and am now slowly working my way through the smaller jobs.

In addition to what you've listed here, and without knowing what age/style of house it is, I would budget for:

New radiators, possibly adding more, some old houses only have one inefficient radiator for a large living room.

Some roof repairs, or possibly a new roof depending on the state of it/your survey, also the garage roof it is separate and especially if it is flat.

Floorboards, what are they like under those old carpets? Not a big job but you might some replacing, especially on stairs.

Insulation as mentioned above

Is there a garden? Has it been neglected? If so budget a fair amount of time and/or money for sorting it out.

Skips. Lots of skips.

Skips. Great call. Rarely budgeted for but even one is expensive and they add up very quickly.
  • Oh skips! Thank you. Adding that to my list now.

Point taken about the radiators, possible work on the roof etc.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Garden fences.
    If the house has been disregarded i dont imagine they've splashed out on fence maintenance. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure