Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jordan90
    • By Jordan90 11th Jan 19, 7:34 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Jordan90
    Is this a breach of data protection?
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:34 PM
    Is this a breach of data protection? 11th Jan 19 at 7:34 PM
    I work in a department with 2 colleagues, we've all just received our increase in salary for the new year. We all openly talk of our salaries and bonuses, ensuring all is fair. Equal pay for equal work. This year is the first year where one of my 2 colleagues has received a higher wage increase than myself and the other colleague, we'll call the higher paid colleague, C.
    I sent an email to my manager asking why this is the case and received the reply "C mentioned they haven't spoken of their increase in salary to anyone, how did you come to know C's wage increase? I am now looking at a serious breach of data protection"
    What am I looking at now?

To add, I sent the email as I am genenuinely confused why C has received a higher wage. The workloads of us is as follows;
    C - 30%
    Other colleague - 10% (Does the bare minimum but I get along with him, I can't blame him)
    Me - 60% (Seriously, no extragation, I prefer more work as the time goes quicker)
    Both my manager and C are very sly, different in private than they are public.
Page 2
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 12th Jan 19, 12:06 PM
    • 5,795 Posts
    • 9,903 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Did you try asking for a salary increase based on your own merits rather than because someone else is paid more? You've gone about this in totally the wrong way and I agree with the others, it could ultimately cost you your job.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 12th Jan 19, 12:50 PM
    • 3,939 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Did you try asking for a salary increase based on your own merits rather than because someone else is paid more? You've gone about this in totally the wrong way and I agree with the others, it could ultimately cost you your job.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Exactly.

It is amazing how many people seem to misunderstand the concept of "discrimination" in employment.

Only a relatively few types of discrimination are prohibited by law. All others are perfectly legal. Indeed, if you think about it, many aspects of employment are discriminatory by nature.

Why do you appoint candidate A rather than candidates B or C? Nothing says it has to be the one with the better qualifications.

Who do you promote? Employee A or employee B? What criteria, if any, do you judge it on? That is very largely up to the employer again as long as they do not discriminate on one of the few protected grounds (race religion gender etc).

Finally, there can sometime be good reasons why two people apparently doing the same job get different rates of pay. It may be that when the higher paid one was recruited good staff were hard to attract. Then, when the second person was hired, a local competitor had closed down and lots of good people were looking for jobs.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 12th Jan 19, 2:06 PM
    • 6,114 Posts
    • 6,833 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I also think many people misunderstand the concept of equal pay for equal work. Companies can still have pay bands and person A doing job X has no right to demand the same money as person B also doing job X.

I joined the Civil Service literally 2 weeks after a colleague. Due to their joining date they received the pay increment just 1 week after starting, and that was the last big rise before the financial crisis. I joined one week after the increment was paid, so despite being on the same training course, at the same time, my colleague was earning several hundred pounds more than me and continued to be in that situation due to the limit on pay rises for many subsequent years. I could have moaned as much as I wanted but nothing would have changed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

51Posts Today

1,700Users online

Martin's Twitter