Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JJishere
    • By JJishere 10th Jan 19, 11:17 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    JJishere
    Paperless payslips
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:17 PM
    Paperless payslips 10th Jan 19 at 11:17 PM
    Newbie here
    Just a little question about paperless payslips.
    My employer sent out a letter today saying that they will be switching to paperless payslips from the beginning of February, and we need to provide them with a valid email address. Now this is all well & good, but several of the shopfloor guys, don't have Internet access (one doesn't even own a phone), so the question was raised how do they get their payslips, (their useless manager said its not his problem, & suggested that they club together & buy a computer & printer to share )
    No one from HR or payroll is available to comment, apparently they have been in meetings all day!
    Was just after a bit of advice for the guys, as I thought it was the company's responsibility to ensure that the employee gets an accurate & on time pay slip, either electronically, post, or in hand.
    Sorry for such a long post
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    • 18,608 Posts
    • 47,265 Thanks
    elsien
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    I'd forget about the manager and wait to get a more sensible answer from HR. I think that for someone with no computer then as using a library (for example) isn't the most secure way of getting hold of the payslip so there would be a case for some individuals requesting a paper copy.
    They could simply tell them that they don't have an email address.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • timmy963
    • By timmy963 10th Jan 19, 11:32 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    timmy963
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:32 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:32 PM
    You don’t really have a choice. An employer can choose to give you your payslips in either electronic or non-electronic form.

They did the same thing in my workplace and there was 1 person who didn’t use computers or have the know-how. However we were allowed to print them using the company printer if needed.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 11th Jan 19, 1:24 AM
    • 861 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    • 11th Jan 19, 1:24 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 1:24 AM
    Does the company not have a company email system for all employees and computers that they can use to access email? In the place I worked before I retired all admin tasks were carried out online so everyone had a company computer.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 11th Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    • 5,100 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:02 AM
    I can't imagine HR, Sales, IT and the other business functions communicate using personal email addresses so surely the company must have an internal email system even if the "shopfloor" people don't use it.

The solution here is to extend company email and network access to all employees and provide a few computers with a printer for those who don't need a personal machine.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 11th Jan 19, 9:03 AM
    • 536 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:03 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:03 AM
    From the gov website...

“Employers can choose whether they provide printed or electronic (online) payslips.

Payslips must be provided on or before payday.”

So they are not in the wrong in doing it this way it’s just this one employee that is going to need some assistance accessing or printing.

Surely someone can show your colleague how to set up an email account and then print at work or get someone to do this on their behalf?

If not maybe HR will still have access to payslips anyway to allow for your colleagues payslip to be printed by HR as a helping hand?
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    • 6,126 Posts
    • 6,839 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:15 AM
    There is definitely an assumption these days that everybody uses computers and/or has a smartphone. That assumption is wrong. My neighbours, who were both in their late 70s, were given a tablet by their son and shown how to Skype/Facetime on that to keep in touch. That was literally all they used the tablet for. They had very basic phones and could text short messages on those. Trying to force people into using systems they don't want, need, or understand is simply wrong in my opinion. The company must have a way to print payslips and that is what those without the means to print for themselves need to insist continues to happen.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 11th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 6,784 Posts
    • 7,417 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:26 AM
    There is definitely an assumption these days that everybody uses computers and/or has a smartphone. That assumption is wrong.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01

There is also an assumption that email is secure. That is also wrong (just bear in mind the scams where e-mails to from solicitors and buiders are intercepted and payments are directed elsewhere).

Whilst personally I've been happy to receive electronic payslips in the past (viewable and printable over a secure company intranet) I wouldn't be happy to just have them e-mailed to a private unsecure e-mail address.
    • stator
    • By stator 11th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 4,850 Thanks
    stator
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    If they have poor eyesight or some other reason why computers aren't easy to use, then the company should make reasonable adjustments to their procedures to accomodate.

A sensible company would offer to print out payslips for anyone who doesn't use a computer.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 11th Jan 19, 10:47 AM
    • 5,100 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    There is also an assumption that email is secure. That is also wrong (just bear in mind the scams where e-mails to from solicitors and buiders are intercepted and payments are directed elsewhere).

Whilst personally I've been happy to receive electronic payslips in the past (viewable and printable over a secure company intranet) I wouldn't be happy to just have them e-mailed to a private unsecure e-mail address.
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Then again, putting payslips into people's pigeonholes at work or posting them to their home addresses isn't secure either. I much preferred jobs where they had electronic paysplis at they were much harder to lose.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 11th Jan 19, 11:26 AM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 1,888 Thanks
    tacpot12
    As you cannot force your employer to provide paper payslips, might the best option to help your colleagues to become computer-literate? As has been observed, there is a general shift to only delivering services via the internet, Universal Credit being a key example.

Good tablet devices can be bought off Amazon for 80. These would be ideal for someone to view their payslips on, or claim and manage Universal Credit if they ever lose their jobs. Perhaps you could offer to run an after-work session to show the others how to setup an email address and access their payslips.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 11th Jan 19, 11:40 AM
    • 7,174 Posts
    • 9,411 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I can't imagine HR, Sales, IT and the other business functions communicate using personal email addresses so surely the company must have an internal email system even if the "shopfloor" people don't use it.

The solution here is to extend company email and network access to all employees and provide a few computers with a printer for those who don't need a personal machine.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    This sounds like a sensible approach. Suggest that the people approach HR and ask whether payslips can be provided on paper for those who request that format or failing that, that a computer and printer are made available to allow staff to access and print pay-slips at work.

You can then, if you want, offer to hep those individuals actually access and print their pay slips if they don't feel confident to do so
    • cool-dog
    • By cool-dog 13th Jan 19, 12:04 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    cool-dog
    Will they actually email the payslips though, I have had electronic payslips at my current and previous employer. We get an email to what ever email address you chose saying it is ready to view, then have to log onto a secure website to obtain the payslip
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Jan 19, 12:17 PM
    • 11,312 Posts
    • 21,572 Thanks
    Pennywise
    Will they actually email the payslips though, I have had electronic payslips at my current and previous employer. We get an email to what ever email address you chose saying it is ready to view, then have to log onto a secure website to obtain the payslip
    Originally posted by cool-dog
    Which is the "norm" these days. Even banks and utility firms don't "email" their bills. They send an email to tell you there's a new document and you have to login to the secure website/portal to view/print them. So, no, there's probably not a security risk as they won't be emailing the payslips themselves. As said above, probably more secure than sending them by post or using pidgeon holes or internal email systems.
    • John G Jones
    • By John G Jones 13th Jan 19, 12:19 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    John G Jones

Originally posted by p00hsticks
    Why not though? What do you think would happen if a hacker in Moldova got a copy of them?

We switched to electronic a few years ago, I receive mine in my work inbox and forward them to my Gmail one at home. Ive no concerns at all about someone I dont know and will never meet hacking in and having a look.
    • JJishere
    • By JJishere 16th Jan 19, 9:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JJishere
    Op here, just a little update.
    We all had a briefing today from HR, basically what they said was, that there was no choice, paperless payslips are the only ones available after the beginning of February. We asked the question about them being emailed internally, but they said no, & reminded us that the company email system is not for personal use. What they have said is that they will be setting up a PC/printer with internet access in the corner of the HR office, that employee's can book a slot in their break/before/after work, to log into the payslip provider's website & access their payslips. They have also said that they will help those with no email accounts, getting one set up with a email provider (& have offered basic training to those with no computer skills)
    So generally most of the guys are now fine with this, with just the two outright refusing to use this, (one of them is the guy with no computer, phone, & as we found out today, doesn't even have a cashpoint card!! - he said he will hand his notice in on the 1st week of February(we are trying to talk him out of it)
    Would like to thank all the above suggestions & comments, which I passed on to the guys that were getting worried about this.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 16th Jan 19, 9:57 PM
    • 19,478 Posts
    • 20,134 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Thank you for the update - it's good to see that common sense has prevailed (except in the case of the technology refusnik!)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 16th Jan 19, 10:02 PM
    • 17,717 Posts
    • 39,509 Thanks
    Masomnia
    Sounds reasonable. Thanks for the update.
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. - P.G. Wodehouse
    • stator
    • By stator 17th Jan 19, 9:36 AM
    • 7,069 Posts
    • 4,850 Thanks
    stator
    If he just ignores them and does not give them an e-mail adreess, they will have no choice but to print out a payslip for him.
    They are legally required to provide everyone with a payslip.
    If they don't have an e-mail address for him, they can't comply with that requirement.

They might start disciplinary procedures against him, or they might not.
    So he might as well just wait and see what happens, rather than resigning.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 17th Jan 19, 4:10 PM
    • 5,100 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    Op here, just a little update.
    We all had a briefing today from HR, basically what they said was, that there was no choice, paperless payslips are the only ones available after the beginning of February. We asked the question about them being emailed internally, but they said no, & reminded us that the company email system is not for personal use.
    Originally posted by JJishere
    That seems a strange excuse. A company sending a document to an employee related to their employment is hardly "personal use". It's exactly the sort of thing that internal email should be used for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,607Posts Today

7,617Users online

Martin's Twitter