Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chocdonuty
    • By chocdonuty 11th Jan 19, 11:12 AM
    • 913Posts
    • 1,003Thanks
    chocdonuty
    which job?
    • 11th Jan 19, 11:12 AM
    which job? 11th Jan 19 at 11:12 AM
    Arrgggg!

So I've been in my current place of work as a supervisor in a retail store for just over 2 years, it's good but not the ideal role as they had a reshuffle not long ago but things change and generally its a good job, decent pay, very close to home, busy, not easy but I like a challenge .
    A lot of the other staff are quite negative about the place and manager. Frustrating and sometimes understandable but I'm quite easy going and the manager is quite new, I'd prefer to give him a chance first!
    Anyway
    An opportunity came up some time ago for a position at a new hospitality workplace, I went for it and had an interview but was given the role of a normal team member rather than supervisor, this would mean a drop in income of around 100 a month, plus travel costs(not major but still) I accepted anyway and the start date is next week, they have been dragging their heels though, I suspect due to it being a massive intake of new jobs over christmas/new year) I was hoping to read through the contract before making a firm decision but its not appeared yet! (currently awaiting a phone call)

Problem is I still cant decide which job to go for especially since I don't know enough about the new role, but again don't want to miss the opportunity.
    Should really give my current role two weeks notice but have chatted with the boss and although its not great. I think we could work something out, he knows the start date ect but obviously I've had to keep my options open and say to both jobs I'm staying with them.
    So frustrating and I realise I'm the only one who can make the final decision but has anyone got any advice? I'm working later and I keep changing my mind constantly, stay/go/stay/go. really need to pull my finger out!
    btw both jobs have reviews on glassdoor and indeed but depending which site you look at both are better than the other!
    Hiya, I'm single mom, avid moneysaver and freecycler, sometimes but definatly
Page 1
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 11th Jan 19, 5:24 PM
    • 5,947 Posts
    • 6,916 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:24 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:24 PM
    Arrgggg!

So I've been in my current place of work as a supervisor in a retail store for just over 2 years, it's good but not the ideal role as they had a reshuffle not long ago but things change and generally its a good job, decent pay, very close to home, busy, not easy but I like a challenge .
    A lot of the other staff are quite negative about the place and manager. Frustrating and sometimes understandable but I'm quite easy going and the manager is quite new, I'd prefer to give him a chance first!
    Anyway
    An opportunity came up some time ago for a position at a new hospitality workplace, I went for it and had an interview but was given the role of a normal team member rather than supervisor, this would mean a drop in income of around 100 a month, plus travel costs(not major but still) I accepted anyway and the start date is next week, they have been dragging their heels though, I suspect due to it being a massive intake of new jobs over christmas/new year) I was hoping to read through the contract before making a firm decision but its not appeared yet! (currently awaiting a phone call)

Problem is I still cant decide which job to go for especially since I don't know enough about the new role, but again don't want to miss the opportunity.
    Should really give my current role two weeks notice but have chatted with the boss and although its not great. I think we could work something out, he knows the start date ect but obviously I've had to keep my options open and say to both jobs I'm staying with them.
    So frustrating and I realise I'm the only one who can make the final decision but has anyone got any advice? I'm working later and I keep changing my mind constantly, stay/go/stay/go. really need to pull my finger out!
    btw both jobs have reviews on glassdoor and indeed but depending which site you look at both are better than the other!
    Originally posted by chocdonuty

You say its 100 a month less plus travel, so more likely 150 or less a month or nearly 2k.

Unless you are earning 30k or more a 2k drop isn't worth it for me.

You don't hate your job of 2 years so why not just wait for a better paid and as valueable opportunity?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 11th Jan 19, 7:33 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:33 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:33 PM
    I'm with Takeaway_Addict. You'd be taking a backward step in both income and job title.

Keep working in your current role until you can get something better somewhere else!

It sounds like your boss is reasonable and has taken it well, but for future reference I would absolutely never tell my current employer until the decision is made and its definite. A lot of employers / bosses will turn on you after they know you've tried to leave.
    • chocdonuty
    • By chocdonuty 11th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 1,003 Thanks
    chocdonuty
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 9:50 PM
    I suppose I'm just worried about missing the boat, it's a brand new place although experienced company so won't get the chance to start afresh as it were, also thinking It'd be easier to move up to supervisor if I start now.i did apply for supervisor but that position had gone, I have been told that's something I can go for later on but that's obviously not guaranteed.

I did tell my boss just because I wasn't happy with my role and didn't want to leave without seeing what other avenues I had available rather than give up. I'm still not in the best role that's gone but kind of hoping something new will come up at some point.
    Hiya, I'm single mom, avid moneysaver and freecycler, sometimes but definatly
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Jan 19, 5:07 PM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:07 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 5:07 PM
    It sounds as though you are not 100% happy where you are but also not certain about the new role which makes me think option 3 might be better. Stay where you are and look for a different job. Taking a paycut, adding on travel and taking a step backwards in position doesn't sound like a good move. There is no guarantee if you take the new role you will be promoted.
    If you can tolerate your current job, stay there. Look for something that pays better and is more senior.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 12th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Marcon
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Jan 19, 7:48 PM
    Read your own post again. Does this move really sound like a golden opportunity...? OK, if you don't take it you could miss the boat, but sounds more like a canoe without a paddle than a luxury liner, so perhaps wait and go for something better?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

3,932Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin