Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 12th Mar 18, 3:45 AM
    • 197Posts
    • 91Thanks
    TyreLever
    Can people really take time off work for "stress"?
    • 12th Mar 18, 3:45 AM
    Can people really take time off work for "stress"? 12th Mar 18 at 3:45 AM
    Work is naturally stressful and I hear of people taking time off work for stress. Stress alone doesnt sound like a valid reason, if I phoned in work and said I wouldnt be in because I feel stressed, I know where I'd be told to get off (the jobcentre). How do people get long term sick pay for stress? Is our nation becoming intolerably weak?
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
Page 3
    • andydownes123
    • By andydownes123 30th Jul 18, 2:11 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    andydownes123
    Check out the Yerkes-Dodson law...stress is important. When there's too much, it becomes a problem.
    • antonic
    • By antonic 30th Jul 18, 4:14 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 2,656 Thanks
    antonic
    As someone who was driven to the brink of suicide by stress (by throwing myself under a train) caused by a manager, its all to real.
    I was lucky and came through the other side and made it back to full time employment after 6 months off with stress.
    LBM Sept 2005 spoke to Payplan - brilliant !
    Dec 2005 debt £21.959.64 + HBOS Int £1769.32
    June 2013 debt £0.00
    DF status confirmed by email 10/07/13
    DFW Long Hauler 297
    • clairebearpr
    • By clairebearpr 12th Jan 19, 2:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    clairebearpr
    Agree totally tizerbelle. I think you've summed the current situation up beautifully. It's like people claiming to be traumatised because the latest Boy Band has broken up! There are people genuinely suffering from depression, stress, PTSD etc who are getting lumped in with the 'snowflakes'.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    See, I think your wrong. Imagine you're a teenager, maybe you're being bullied. Maybe you feel alone and this BAND makes you feel less sad and lonely. Imagine liking a boy band, listening to their music makes you feel happier for a little while. You enjoy listening to interviews , looking them up etc. They are the one thing you FEEL you can look forward to. Now imagine that being taken away. It can be traumatising, for some people a Band or tv show or book series can feel like a security blanket. Not everyone KNOWS how to deal with stress or anxiety or depression so they focus on something that makes them feel better. It might not be healthy but it may be the ONLY way they know how to cope at the moment. And yes, this can be the same way for adults also, we develop crutches that may seem stupid and trivial, sometimes they are but like you say, some people don't know how to deal with trauma. So, they bury it and cover it with these trivial things. If these little things are taken it can be the last drop in a glass that causes it to overflow.
    Last edited by clairebearpr; 12-01-2019 at 2:59 AM. Reason: missed a word
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 12th Jan 19, 10:24 AM
    • 2,173 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I have to admit as a manager I used to be skeptical about stress. Same with depression and anxiety. Reason being some people will falsely claim they have these conditions to get time off sick. No blood test or scan will reveal these conditions so they are easy to fake.

Having now experienced work related stress I can tell you it certainly can be real. Due to bullying from a manager my stress began to have physical symptoms. Headaches, sickness, Racing heart, dizziness and being unable to sleep or think clearly. I've worked since the age of 16 and I'm nearly 40. Never felt that way before even though I've worked with difficult people and in difficult circumstances. I wouldn't say I'm particularly emotional and ive been praised for my resilience and strong work ethic. However there is only so much someone can take!

A bit of stress is normal but there is a difference in having a stressful day and actually suffering from stress. Just like someone casually says ' I'm so depressed, I put on a pound this week'. Obviously that's not real depression.

Keep an open mind. There will always be fakers out there but anyone can suffer stress at some point. It's very real and very unpleasant. Someone in a bad place could really do with a smile or an invite for coffee etc. It could literally save someone.
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 12-01-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: T
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Jan 19, 10:28 AM
    • 18,100 Posts
    • 46,149 Thanks
    elsien
    Out of interest, just wondering why you searched the forum to resurrect a thread which was last active in July for your first post?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 12th Jan 19, 10:36 AM
    • 17,081 Posts
    • 42,024 Thanks
    FBaby
    It's a very difficult line. I've experience stressed in my life for about 25 years. A lot of it, I managed it because it made me resilient. I've seen people going off sick stressed when their level of stress didn't reach half mine. Resilience has of course a lot to do with it.

However, like Firefly, it reached a point when it just got too much. No one denied that I wasn't under unmanageable amount fo stress, everyone felt sorry for me, but nothing was done assuming I'll manage as I always did. This time, it turned physical, exactly as you des ribd Firefly.

It was my clue to do something drastic. I did and 1 year on, my life has never been so unstressful. It should be great but it isn't because its left some damage that I'm really struggling to undo. I am still always tense, on the edge, I still don't sleep well, and just can't seem to relax.

So sadly, it's not just about the intensity but also the prolonged effect.

I do get cross with some people whose resilience lelves are almost non existent, but at the same time, I see some people who I keep going and are on a bomb timer and it's very sad.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 14th Jan 19, 2:00 AM
    • 10,764 Posts
    • 20,397 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Iíve just gone back to work after 4 weeks off with work related stress/depression. I cried myself to sleep every night before work as I didnít want to go in. The trigger for me being signed off was crying solidly between leaving work on the Saturday at 1pm until bedtime on the Monday. As I have other physical issues which are exacerbated by high emotion I was quite unwell after that.
    My manager thinks sheís my best friend but in fact sheís the cause of my stress/depression. Sheís been off sick last week and it has been absolute bliss. However she is now back and I could already feel my hackles rising when I got her email this afternoon- I canít be bothered at the moment as Iíve got a lot on my plate right now so if she starts on me tomorrow I will just walk out. She knows I have a personality disorder and not to push me but she doesnít seem to believe this (sheís got a bad rep from her previous workplace as well as there are people who work with me who know her) and seems hell bent on winding me up. I donít wish to blow at work but sheís really getting on my nerves.
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10- BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and DE100.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018
    Miss you JV and TW
    Elle
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

2,677Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin