Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Littlemissbossy
    • By Littlemissbossy 10th Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Littlemissbossy
    Change of direction - any pit falls?
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:03 PM
    Change of direction - any pit falls? 10th Jan 19 at 8:03 PM
    Hi, Iím a teacher - been at the top of scale for a number of years but not in a management role. Iím in a very fortunate position financially as my only commitments are my car payment (I bought a new one last year on HP) plus some charitable contributions, gym etc. Iíve absolutely had enough of the paperwork, low morale, endless bureaucracy which has become inherent and have made the (scary) decision to jack it in. I love the interaction with the students but that has become irrelevant and who cares about them so long as all the paperwork is in place!

I think Iíd like to step away for a year or so, travel and de-stress but are there any considerations I might have over-looked, such as pension problems or tax? Anything I might kick myself for afterwards?

Iím hoping to possibly do a bit of supply just to cover my bills, or perhaps a p/t clerical job. Iím thinking about doing some further study and have had ideas for starting a business but not sure about which direction to go in.

Anyone been there and done it who could share their wisdom?
    TIA
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 10th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    • 6,126 Posts
    • 6,839 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:07 PM
    I haven't done anything like that, but if you are planning/considering returning to teaching you might want to investigate the effect on any benefits you currently receive due to length of service. For example, any additional holidays, and pension rights.
    • Littlemissbossy
    • By Littlemissbossy 10th Jan 19, 8:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlemissbossy
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:29 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:29 PM
    I did wonder about death in service benefits. Maybe this would need to be covered by some sort of life insurance instead? Holidays are normally a touchy subject - I certainly wouldn’t get any additional days accruing.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    • 11,640 Posts
    • 10,064 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 11th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 4:12 PM
    Unless you have a partner or dependent children, why would you worry about death in service benefits?
    • Littlemissbossy
    • By Littlemissbossy 11th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlemissbossy
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    I have a husband.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,803Posts Today

7,875Users online

Martin's Twitter