Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Liberal123
    • By Liberal123 10th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Liberal123
    Career change
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:37 PM
    Career change 10th Jan 19 at 9:37 PM
    Ok here goes. Since graduating from university over 15 years ago Iíve focused on a career in marketing as itís what I enjoyed. Initially it started off really well, as I enjoyed what I was doing.

A redundancy, a few contract and permanent roles later Iíve come to the conclusion that marketing isnít for me. Iíve been in a role for a while now but finally quit due to losing my passion for communications and personal reasons.

Iím now looking to change careers as my mental wellbeing and family life is much more important. Does anybody have any experience of making the transition into another field? Iím a more project management and strategy type of person so Iím looking in those type of areas. I guess the beauty of marketing is that thereís lots of transferable skills that I can demonstrate.

Did anybody have to take a pay cut? What are your thoughts on career change, is this common? Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 10th Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 709 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    • 10th Jan 19, 10:00 PM
    Yep, took a big one a few years ago, with one hell of a pay cut too.

Didn't actually work out for me. It was infuriating working several levels below where I'd been before. I felt useless, which was a foreign feeling to me, and honestly couldn't live on the salary I was on (I'd thought I could, but when it came to it I couldn't).

Still, I wouldn't say I lost anything. About a year later something else came along which was back in my old field (and at my old level!) and I went back. So I'd still say go for it, there's a lot of fear about changing jobs etc, but really there's not much to lose.

I guess this has crossed you mind, but a lot of marketing departments have project managers! So maybe you don't really need a complete change, just a re-positioning?
    • Liberal123
    • By Liberal123 11th Jan 19, 8:15 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Liberal123
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:15 AM
    • 11th Jan 19, 8:15 AM
    I’m now looking to flex my wings, maybe even do some short courses in other areas. I’m glad I did take this step as I was suffering mentally and I’m feeling so much better now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

47Posts Today

3,734Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @paullewismoney: People who were students 1990-97 are being offered the chance to pay off half their unpaid student loan and the other h?

• As normal I am signing off twitter for the weekend - to spend time with mini and Mrs MSE. Hope you have a wonderfu? https://t.co/FG3sRfkIgA

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Top crew! We may film in the freeeeeeeezing cold every week, but this bunch make it fun. (And huge thanks as always to @?

• Follow Martin