B2B Account Manager

Hello All,

I've been asked by someone I know to go for a role in their company that they believe I would be good at.

The thread title is the role advertised. Roughly £25kpa and office working hours (currently working shifts)

Does anyone do this role who could give me an insight into 'a day in the life'?

I have read the job spec thoroughly trying to sythe through the business speak and looked online but was wondering if anyone could give input?

Thanks

CO x

Comments

• Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi CornishOptimist,

I guess if you were to give my last job the correct title, it would be B2B Account Manager so I could certainly give you an insight though naturally this HEAVILY depends on a) the product/service the company supplies b) the nature of transactions c) the companies' expectations of the role.

So firstly, you will be responsible for managing (looking after) accounts (and by this, they mean your customers, not to be confused with the financial term haha!). Depending on the business, this may be a few big accounts/customers, to all customers within a certain area, or to all of them. By managing, this essentially means that you act as the point of contact between them and the business and deal with all their questions. So this (again this varies between roles) could include;

> visiting them
    > discussing with them about any projects or ideas they have
    > sending quotations
    > answering technical questions
    > resolving any issues or complaints they may have
    > attending trade shows and exhibitions
    > following their orders and seeing everything runs smoothly
    > growing the business by generating new business

And may extend to slightly more senior responsibilities such as;
    > sending invoices & chasing payment
    > deciding on promotions
    > forecasting future orders

I've worked two different types of account manager role and both were wildly different so you'd (again) need to gauge what their expectations were.

The first I looked after accounts in the south of the UK, 4 days a week I was expected to be on the road visiting existing and new customers, and presenting any new products/or products they didn't take. I would then have one day a week to book appointments and touch base with the office to make sure everything was running OK.

The second I was at the office for 3-4 days a week and, personally, is the type of role you want. My day to day consisted of dealing with emails and phone calls, preparing quotations (the service we offered for example could easily take 30 mins to quote for per customer!), buying the stock that customers ordered (we weren't a manufacturer), organising couriers, invoices, etc, it was basically seeing the order from receipt to delivery!

You mention business speak, if there's any terms your unsure of, don't hesitate to ask!
    Know what you don't
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think it might depend on the sector.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thanks for the responses.

The business is a tech business. Essentially you order a courier or 'man and van/lorry) for deliveries or shipping. By having over 2000 drivers on their books, they can ping the job to the nearest driver, who then completes the order.

From what I understand, they expect the role to be generating new business and maintaining current clients whilst "working in a high paced, self motivated sales team."

I haven't got a problem with being proactive around gaining business, but I really dont want it to be essentially a cold calling job. Did that many years ago and never want to repeat that!

Hope that gives more of an idea

CO x
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    I used to work as an account manager for a life insurance company. I now work with 20-30 account managers from various mortgage and insurance companies.

I think there are 4 types of account manager:
    1) Those who are good at their job and you get on with.
    2) Those who are good at their job.
    3) Those who are bad at their job and you get on with with.
    4) Those who are bad at their job.

We deal in mortgages, if we have a complicated mortgage which is likely to have a few issues along the way, I would be more inclined to send it to the lender where I know the account manager will help push it through.

I think the key things are know your role, know what mandate, know your competition and only promise what you can deliver. Building up a rapport will come over time.

Some of my old accounts after 6-12 months, I used to just speak to them about football/their plans for the weekend. The only time we spoke about work was when they needed help - those were the accounts that we developed to be big accounts. We got on well and they trusted I would look after their cases if it hit the fan.

If you do it right, after 12 months it wont feel like a job. One of my account managers now, we always meet up at 4pm on a friday... at the pub.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    From what I understand, they expect the role to be generating new business and maintaining current clients whilst "working in a high paced, self motivated sales team."

I haven't got a problem with being proactive around gaining business, but I really dont want it to be essentially a cold calling job. Did that many years ago and never want to repeat that!
    I know absolutely nothing at all about sales of any kind, and suspect I would be absolutely pants at it, but my gut reaction to what you've put here is that I would be asking them by what % they were anticipating you'd be able to generate new business?

and I'd also expect you to know the competition - you say you'll be working shifts, so how many other companies offer this kind of service, and offer it over the shifts you're going to be working?

What I'm driving at is, will you be touting for business from your competitors, and are there many of them? Or will you be touting for business from companies who've never actually realised that the kind of service you offer exists, and it would benefit them?

To my uninformed brain, that would tell me something about the nature of the sales calls I'd be making ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thanks everyone for your input.

I've done as much research as I think I can do at the moment. I'm probably just going to attend the interview and see how I feel as well as ask plenty of questions!

CO x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport