Are Tesco going to remove their closed counters?

Options
I was in a Tesco the other day using my money off coupon. This store has closed its deli, fish and meat counters for good and they are still there. Though the hot chicken counter is there. It looks dreadful and sad that the empty counters are still in place.

Does anyone know what are they going to do with the area? Extend their chilled ranges by putting chillers there, increasing the storage area in the back - by boarding off the area to customers whilst knocking down wall and building a new one.

Saw several items dumped there by customers and leaving empty areas like this, is going to increase dumping there,

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It does look a bit run-down as it is.
    The downside of them closing those counters is that they've reduced my choice and I'll tend to go to another shop first.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    They’ll obviously have plans for these areas and my guess is it’ll vary by store. My local has already put shelving with products in front of the counters but it looks like a temporary arrangement.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine are still open Wed - Sun.

I expect they will be repurposing the areas but it is not a simple case of removing the fittings as there is plumbing, cooling and electrics involved so probably a contractor going round the stores.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Maybe they'll start them up again for Christmas, either as counters or storage space for fresh turkeys.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The nearest store to me has lost their deli counters and have been refitted with a 'grab and go' deli offering.

The nearest Extra to me is currently boarded up where the counters used to be.

The old store in which I used to work eons ago (on the deli counter, of all places) is getting a 'grab and go' offering as well as a Holland and Barrett!
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Smidster
    Smidster Posts: 519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local store lost counters.

It has taken a whille but they have now been "replaced" with standard shelves with offers (so like the end of aisle really)

Hopefully it backfires on them - I would only go to Tesco now if there was a specific offer I couldn't get anywhere else.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My Extra lost them in April and they look a bit like Safeway before it fully closed down. Not a nice look at all.

I can remember them touting a third floor with a hairdressers and nail bar!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure