Job Not Working Out

Hi All,

I had this within the redundancy section but a message sent to me advised it was better suited here.

I've been in my role for almost 4 years, however I can't help but feel it's surplus to requirements. Virtually the entire year goes by with no interaction with my boss except at the end of the year when I get my obligatory bad review, although this year my rating improved to "consistently strong" but my boss said not to read anything into an improved rating. I work in a different location from my team and despite making myself available for more work it either doesn't come or I'm overlooked when I complete it. The role has also divested into others tasks away from what my job is and I think this is a problem. My boss said a very odd line to me when she said "we're not sure what you do". Is this grounds for asking to be laid off or would this make things worse? The environment is quite toxic as it is and I don't want them taking the lay off request as an excuse to fire me.

Comments

• I wish where I worked forgot I worked there and didn't give me much work to do. just change your mindset and turn up and take the money.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you think you add value, I'd suggest dropping your boss a monthly email with what you've done that month.

If you're not sure you add value, then work out your exit strategy - perhaps do some upskilling (there are loads of good/free courses online). Aim to leave at a time of your choosing to a job you want to do.

I was in the first position for a while - the fact that I'd documented what I'd done each month meant they had to pay me redundancy as they couldn't challenge my evidence that I'd not been underperforming.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 January 2020 at 10:17AM
    If you've been getting bad reviews every year, what is the reason, what issues were you asked to address and were there not any targets set for an improvement plan? What about your job description - what does your boss say about that - have you asked?
    How is the environment toxic when you work away from your team? Are you based with a different team - what's the reason for that?
    On the very limited information provided it seems to me you need to be a lot more pro-active than you appear to have been, to move things forwards in any way.
    Are you job hunting elsewhere or are you holding on in the hope of redundancy money - is it worth it for just 4 years?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • I would move on.

If someone at work said "we're not sure what you do" to me I wouldn't accept that, especially if you do add value and hard working.

Update your CV and start looking.
  • I would move on.

If someone at work said "we're not sure what you do" to me I wouldn't accept that, especially if you do add value and hard working.

Update your CV and start looking.

I must admit this would have really irked me, I could not walk away from that passive aggressive comment

I would have sat there and given him an entire job description run down, of my role - followed by the fact that it doesn't look good on him that he does not know what an employee does

It depends if you want to progress or you are happy to plod, however I may think about moving on in this situation
    With love, POSR <3
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,657 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    JPin wrote: »
    I've been in my role for almost 4 years, however I can't help but feel it's surplus to requirements. Virtually the entire year goes by with no interaction with my boss except at the end of the year when I get my obligatory bad review, although this year my rating improved to "consistently strong" but my boss said not to read anything into an improved rating. I work in a different location from my team and despite making myself available for more work it either doesn't come or I'm overlooked when I complete it. The role has also divested into others tasks away from what my job is and I think this is a problem. My boss said a very odd line to me when she said "we're not sure what you do". Is this grounds for asking to be laid off or would this make things worse? The environment is quite toxic as it is and I don't want them taking the lay off request as an excuse to fire me.

Four years is a long time to work out that your job isn't working out. Re-read your own post, and ask yourself a question: why are you still there?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • yksi
    yksi Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Use work time to complete more qualifications online.
  • JPin
    JPin Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I have decided to take the plunge and look around, the challenge that I see now is getting time away from work to meet recruitment agencies and or attend interviews.
  • I agree to move on. It will only be a matter of time before someone sees your role is under utilised and you are made redundant. Or if you are happy with your situation just carry on as is and be mentally prepared to move on based on the company timing when they decide this is due.
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    I agree to move on. It will only be a matter of time before someone sees your role is under utilised and you are made redundant. Or if you are happy with your situation just carry on as is and be mentally prepared to move on based on the company timing when they decide this is due.

The OP could lose out on redundancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport