Vinyl Record Player

Daughter is wanting a vinyl record player ..
I've seen reviews on the ones HMV are selling .. not too good.
Is it worth getting an older one like we used to have .. are they still good enough for a 15 year old ??
Or better buying new and paying a bit more??

Comments

203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Dad got quite a decent turntable from Lidl a few years ago for under £40, it connects to the computer so he is able to record his LPs digitally, I think Aldi had one similar recently for about £60 but must be sold out as not showing on their website.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    An older, genuine record deck will give far more pleasant music than the kind of thing that Lidl sells. And remember that a 15 year-old will have more precise hearing than an older person, so will notice quality differences that might pass us by.

As always, the best option is to look for a good second-hand Linn Sonndeck. If that is not available then the old favourites like the Rega Planar 3 continue to give good results.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    What's the budget? Does she have an existing audio system with a phono input that the TT can be connected to, or do you need to budget for this too?

Avoid the plastic retro-styled machines from HMV, supermarkets and the catalogues that fall out of magazines.

Will advise further once budget stated.
  • We have the GPO Attach! "suitcase" style one (can be found on amazon etc ~£40+).

It is 'OK' but that is about as far as I could possibly rate it. The recording side of things is interesting, but limits the tracks to 128KBs so they sound a bit crap anyway on your pc.

I personally would have preferred to have grabbed a proper size 2nd hand one on ebay or whatever.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 January 2021 at 4:39PM
    An older, genuine record deck will give far more pleasant music than the kind of thing that Lidl sells. And remember that a 15 year-old will have more precise hearing than an older person, so will notice quality differences that might pass us by.

As always, the best option is to look for a good second-hand Linn Sonndeck. If that is not available then the old favourites like the Rega Planar 3 continue to give good results.

While I agree, I will take a punt that the price of price of a decent used Linn Sonkdek plus the necessary arm, cartridge, appropriate amp with phono stage (or line amp plus external phono stage) and speakers of a quality which does justice to the source, plus the cost of an expert to set up the arm / cartridge alignment, tracking, anti-skating, damping and balancing, may not be within the "record player for daughter" budget expectations :D

I used to be Hi-Fi mad in my late teens / early 20's, and a setup incorporating a LP12 was one of the best sounding systems I have ever heard. I could now now afford one, but even I can't justify it to myself. :rotfl:
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • googler
    vacheron wrote: »
    I will take a punt that the price of price of a decent used Linn Sonkdek ... may not be within the "record player for daughter" budget expectations

...and if the OP could be persuaded to tell us their budget ...
  • googler
    Ah, well. OP has gone.
  • My impression, maybe not entirely to the point, but I still dream of a full set of vinyl records, preferably with a library of records at home ... this post inspired me to buy my first vinyl cd
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    My impression, maybe not entirely to the point, but I still dream of a full set of vinyl records, preferably with a library of records at home ... this post inspired me to buy my first vinyl cd
    Whats a vinyl cd?

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CDs are polycarbonate, not vinyl!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business