Data Breach - medical records and personal information

2»

Comments

• Probably happens more than you think. Some years ago, we received someone's medical report on our home fax machine. Seems the fax number of the hospital department it was intended for differed from ours by one digit. Next door neighbour at the time worked as a nurse at the said hospital, so I just gave it to her.

The patient almost certainly never knew.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    differed from ours by one digit.

A colleague has the same issue with their phone number and that of a local take-away. Apparently it can be amusing it first but soon becomes tiresome. :)
  • likelyfran
    likelyfran Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    How do you think it should have been sent?

I would say that for such sensitive data, it obviously should have been sent Special Delivery!
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • likelyfran
    likelyfran Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Newhome1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want your opinion, I was going through an employment tribunal and the solicitor sent the court bundle (which included my full medical report, full details on me and salary details) by standard post. The bundle was never received and the solicitor referred us to the post. I want to be compensated for this major error, god know who has my data.

What does everyone think?

Well, don't worry OP, one person here thinks your post is valid. :)
    I would be very annoyed if this happened to me - perhaps the other posters here would be fine with all and sundry seeing their private medical records?

Putting 'compensation' aside - mention of which has no doubt has been a red rag to people here, and reading between the lines, your solicitor sounds to have a rubbish attitude, and they should have regarded this as a serious matter and given a sincere apology to you - which they haven't, I'm assuming, hence you coming here for a friendly ear and advice. Ahem ..

But then, if they'd regarded clients' confidential information as important and had half a brain, they would have sent the information through the post as at the very least Signed For - though ideally by Special Delivery. Items sent in these ways are less likely to get lost than standard post.
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    The OP obviously isn’t bothered as they haven’t been back since they posted 8 days ago
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    likelyfran wrote: »
    Well, don't worry OP, one person here thinks your post is valid. :)
    I would be very annoyed if this happened to me - perhaps the other posters here would be fine with all and sundry seeing their private medical records?

Putting 'compensation' aside - mention of which has no doubt has been a red rag to people here, and reading between the lines, your solicitor sounds to have a rubbish attitude, and they should have regarded this as a serious matter and given a sincere apology to you - which they haven't, I'm assuming, hence you coming here for a friendly ear and advice. Ahem ..

But then, if they'd regarded clients' confidential information as important and had half a brain, they would have sent the information through the post asat the very least Signed For - though ideally by Special Delivery. Items sent in these ways are less likely to get lost than standard post.

Yes annoying but no more than that.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    likelyfran wrote: »
    I'm assuming, hence you coming here for a friendly ear and advice. Ahem ..

Which they received in the very first reply, report it to the ICO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure