PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Sharing partners/friends and buildings insurance in flats

Options
Hello, I own a leasehold flat and I was checking the block buildings insurance cover. I noticed it had the following term, which I understand to mean that the flat can only be let as an Assured Shorthold Tenancy/Short Assured Tenancy as single units:

"It is a condition precedent to the liability of the COMPANY that Flats being single self-contained portions of the BUILDINGS occupied solely for residential purposes shall only be let subject to written agreements made on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy or Short Assured Tenancy (Scotland) and where the initial agreement is for a minimum of three months duration".

My impression is that this is a standard clause to have in block insurance policies.

This made me wonder what if I would like my partner to move in in future and pay some "rent"? Would that constitute a let that did not satisfy this agreement and invalidated the insurance? But that is surely a fairly common living arrangement nowadays.

My understanding is that the clause does not allow flat owners to have lodgers. Would having a friend share the flat and pay rent also not be allowed? But then on what legal grounds could letting a non-marital partner stay be fine but not a friend?

Thanks in advance for helping me figure out where the line gets drawn, and why!

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If a leaseholder has a lodger then the leaseholder would only be letting a room in the flat not the whole flat itself so it would be fine and not invalidate the insurance policy. However, the leaseholder would need to check the terms of the mortgage to see if lodgers are allowed.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pagw wrote: »
    But then on what legal grounds could letting a non-marital partner stay be fine but not a friend?

Because you don't normally share a bed with your lodger.
  • Pagw
    Pagw Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    If a leaseholder has a lodger then the leaseholder would only be letting a room in the flat not the whole flat itself so it would be fine and not invalidate the insurance policy.

OK, it sounds reasonable, but I feel it's different to what I've read elsewhere, but I can't remember the source now. And yes of course the mortgage agreement would need to be satisfied too.
    Because you don't normally share a bed with your lodger.

What about romantic partners who don't share a bed (not unheard of e.g. if one has health issues that disturb the other, or if they just prefer it that way)? What about partners you sleep with sometimes, but not always, and otherwise lead separate lives from? There must be some legal precedent to show how the decision gets made.

It would also seem quite discriminatory against single people not to allow them to share their flat with a friend whilst a romantic partner is fine. But then again discrimination against single people is quite common anyway...

I'm just wondering now basically if I could ever have a friend come and live with me, if I wanted to.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why are you trying to make something very simple so complicated? I can't see any discrimination against single people choosing to live with a friend.

As for whether you could ever have a friend come to live with you, you will need to read the terms of your lease and the terms of your mortgage neither of which I can read from here.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I read the thread title, and wondered if one of the two questions would be better in the relationships forum.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is it important to you that you have some formal/legal agreement with your partner before letting them move in?

Can't they just give you some money as a gift each month, instead of paying you rent?

It sounds like you're trying to make things unnecessarily complex.
  • Pagw
    edited 17 April 2018 at 1:10PM
    Options
    I agree that it should seem simple - it would seem unreasonable for anyone to object to you having a partner live with you and pay some rent. But that doesn't mean an insurance company wouldn't object if it meant they could avoid paying out - it's not uncommon for people to be caught out by clauses in policies. If cohabiting with a partner is fine, they are probably more likely to object to you having a lodger. If Pixie5740 is right, then there is no problem. But here's one site that says taking a lodger can invalidate home insurance, for example, and I guess the same could apply to flats' building insurance. But there seems to be a whole continuum in between a partner and a lodger, from someone you've met a couple of times who needs a place to stay for a while to your best friend for the past 10 years, and I'm just wondering when is the line probably crossed from the legal point of view? I don't want to do something that I think is reasonable and then find myself in legal trouble later.

If couples can cohabit but not friends, I meant this seemed discriminatory in the sense that single people would then be forced to buy whole flats alone without being able to rent out any part, so their accommodation expense is higher per person than for the couple (unless they were willing to share a mortgage with a friend, which won't be that often). This seems unfair, but that doesn't mean it's not the legal situation with regard to these insurance policies. I just wondered if it's possible to say for definite, and if so is there a precise definition somewhere of what's OK?

I asked first about only the insurance to try and keep it simple. My lease says the flat should be used as "a private residence in single occupation", and none of those terms are precisely defined as far as I can see. I've read elsewhere that freeholders have used such clauses to tell leaseholders they can't have a lodger, but I don't know if that is actually legally justified. If anyone knows where the line is normally drawn with regard to the continuum above, then it would be interesting to know.

I'm fortunately mortgage-free so I can't give an example of how a relevant mortgage clause might look. I was thinking in general terms when I said "the mortgage agreement would need to be satisfied too".

I thought that extracting some clarity on these questions could be generally helpful for people who own flats and have space for another person. If the situation is just that it's legally murky, then so be it, but I thought someone here might know with more certainty.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pagw wrote: »

If couples can cohabit but not friends, I meant this seemed discriminatory in the sense that single people would then be forced to buy whole flats alone without being able to rent out any part, so their accommodation expense is higher per person than for the couple (unless they were willing to share a mortgage with a friend, which won't be that often). This seems unfair...
    Presumably they'll take money from their partner towards bills, etc (not usually the mortgage). If they rented a room out, it would probably be a similar amount anyway.

If they have a 2+ bed flat, they can still rent out a room. Or are you saying couples can't rent out rooms, only single people? :think:

If it's a one bed flat, they'd not be renting out a second room anyway... Can't see how it's discriminatory - unless you're discriminating against couples renting out a spare room?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Pagw
    Options
    Well the point I was getting at was that there's not a clear legal distinction to me between letting a lodger or friend pay rent to stay in your flat and letting a cohabiting non-married partner stay. So if letting a room to a lodger can void home insurance (see the link in my post above), why wouldn't having a cohabiting partner staying and paying rent do so too? Would there be differences between how a court treats someone who is denied an insurance claim on the basis that they had a partner, friend or lodger paying rent to them, and what would the legal basis for any difference be? It seems quite important to me to understand the legal situation, as many people could have such living arrangements without updating their insurance.
  • mrsammyp
    mrsammyp Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    I’d certainly be challenging this clause with whoever arranges the building insurance, it’s not standard and I wouldn’t want it on my policy.

You can’t control what the other leaseholders do; if they rented out to an AirBnb and the tenant burnt the block down, insurers could refuse the whole claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure