Someone else signed up to ClearScore using my credentials

HappyGuy
HappyGuy Posts: 15 Forumite
edited 2 March 2016 at 3:43PM in Credit file & ratings
I have recently been keeping a close eye on my credit score using Equifax. I ended my subscription in January as it costs quite a bit but the service wasn't up to much. Yesterday I was looking at alternative credit scoring companies and found ClearScore. It has good reviews and even found a thread on MSE - largely pretty good comments. Best of all it is free.

I tried to sign up, passed the security questions but was then told another user had already signed up with my details. Quite concerned about this I contacted ClearScore. They emailed me back earlier today telling me someone else signed up to their service using my credentials in February (only last month) and that this person passed the security questions about me. As I had flagged the issue, they have immediately locked the both accounts and asked for proof of my identity (which I have now sent).

I am really concerned about the whole situation. ClearScore do not appear to have a telephone number on their website - which I think is strange for a company registered with the Financial Conduct Authority. Does anyone have any experience in this kind of thing? Or have any suggestions on what I should be doing next...?! I presume ClearScore will resolve the issue at their end however now someone has all of my credit history details which is surely puts my identity at significant risk.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• HappyGuy
    ClearScore were very quick to respond. After I submitted id, they unlocked my account and permanently blocked the other account. They also suggested I report the fraud to the police to investigate further and sign up to CIFAS which should prevent anyone else opening new accounts in my name (fingers crossed that wont happen!!).
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    I think you need to seriously consider the possibility that the person who signed up last month is somebody who knows you very well.
  • Pantera_Fan
    Pantera_Fan Posts: 117 Forumite
    I have also had an account set up using my details and discovered it from credit searches. Clearscore were very quick to block the fraudulent account but equally as quick to deny any wrong doing despite the person using my old address details.

Report to Action Fraud and check for any other strange activity on your credit report - mobile and credit card applications etc.
  • HappyGuy
    Thank you Ben8282. Yes, unfortunately this is something I have had to consider.

Pantera Fan, when did this happen? What was the outcome? I have reported it to Action Fraud - not heard anything back yet. I will certainly be keeping a close eye on my credit report for the next few months.

Did you sign up to CIFAS? I thought it worth doing as apparently they provide extra security for anyone in this situation.

I guess the problem is with these new 'free' credit check companies, it is very easy for people to sign up if they have enough information on you. The sensible thing to do would be to charge an annual fee of £1 simply so a payment is taken from the person checking their credit file.
  • Pantera_Fan
    Pantera_Fan Posts: 117 Forumite
    HappyGuy, this happened at the start of February for me. I've not heard back from Action Fraud but I needed the case reference in order to close some mobile phone accounts that were also set up in my name following this.

Completely agree that it is too easy to sign up and I have feedback various concerns to Clearscore.

I have signed up to CIFAS as a Cat 0 protective registration. This lasts for 2 years. I assume Clearscore have offered you this so if you proceed ask for a Cat 0 registration.
  • HappyGuy
    edited 9 March 2016 at 3:11PM
    Pantera Fan, pretty recent too then?! Interesting.

I also signed up to CIFAS. I'm not sure what Category it was (I didn't realise there were categories). I paid £20 for 2 years protection.

One of my concerns is that I should probably go around all of the free Credit Bureaus signing up just to ensure this person doesn't use my full credit details obtained from ClearScore to do the same again. I might write to the Financial Conduct Authority explaining the issue in full. Maybe they can enforce these free agencies to take a £1 annual subscription fee or something else to eliminate the risk of this happening to anyone else in future.

Unfortunately I am also trying to resolve another fraud issue with Royal Mail - apparently someone at my address signed for a parcel recently. It wasn't me and it was on a day when I was at home all day. Long story short, Royal Mail have been kicking their heals about it for 3 weeks now.

Not sure if it is in anyway related to this ClearScore issue in any way. I can't see a way it could be. A coincidence though. I live a pretty quiet life and never have any issues like this. Then two come along at once!!
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    You've signed up for protective registration which is category 00
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think the issue is that clearscore offer multiple choice questions so there is a chance a stranger may randomly guess the right answers.

I think when i signed up i asked which bank i had opened an account with in 2015?

Maybe not as secure as it should be?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• HappyGuy
    gunsandbanjos, thank you for clarifying. Do you know anything about the categories? I googled it earlier and couldn't find anything particularly helpful.

forgotmyname, yes, the multiple choice does leave it open. I was asked about 6/7 multiple choice questions I think. I think that works out as a 1/5000 chance of getting all 6 right. Wonder if they let you off getting one or two wrong...?!
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    HappyGuy wrote: »
    gunsandbanjos, thank you for clarifying. Do you know anything about the categories? I googled it earlier and couldn't find anything particularly helpful

I do know about the categories, what do you want to know.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport