Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Comments

• EE was right. Sorry, I should have said, it's a female gp. She says that she can't stand the smell of coconut now as he mother continually rubbed the oil into her hair when she was a child to stimulate growth and thickness. She does have amazing hair for her age. It's a cheap option and maybe worth trying on face pack nights, etc.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi Seaside

Your colleague is just rude and bad mannered. I can't give you advice but you are a wonderful person and you should ignore your colleagues jibe.
  • Thanks everyone - your lovely comments have really bucked me up no end and EE you are so right about MSE posters sharing their wisdom. I’ve learnt so much since I’ve joined the ranks.

I checked out the coconut oil online - there were a few horror stories on there about people using it for thinning hair and the first time they tried it their hair started to come away! It seemed to happen to those with fine, thin hair like me - users with coarser thicker hair seemed to get a benefit from it. I think I will just try the Viviscal for now as I couldn’t bear to lose any more hair at the moment!:eek: but thank you again inod for your suggestion and EE for looking up the link.

Talking of the Viviscal, my yearly Amex Cashback card payout is on the 1st December and it’s nearly up to £62 at the moment. The supplement for three months is about £69 so the Cashback will pay for most of the cost!:)

Today I went out for a walk - lovely cold, crisp sunny day, and then went to Pilates. Creaked and crunched all over the place again but I certainly felt that it loosened up my lower back. I won’t talk about my attempt at the Plank though.....:D. It’s really made me want to focus on my weight loss as I’ll certainly get more benefit from Pilates if I can drop some lbs. My tutor is away for the next two weekends but I’m going to try and book for the group class next Saturday morning before I go off to Stratford on the Sunday.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post - have put £420 back into the EF so all fully funded again now!:j
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,099
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When I was a teenager I used to brush coconut oil on my eyelashes every night. I probably read the tip in Jackie magazine. I don't do it now but at the time I had very long eyelashes so might be something in it.

You'll have to let us know how you get on with the supplement, worth a try, if it doesn't work at least you've given it a go.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £227.29/£600 March NSD:9 March Surveys £
  • Thanks SA. There does appear plenty of evidence that it works for some - it’s just that I’m terrified I’ll end up being one of those that will lose more hair. I’ll do a monthly update on the supplements though.
    🌟
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Yes monthly updates will be good . Glad Pilates was ok again today.
  • So, inspired by you, I contacted my old one to one Pilates instructor. She got back saying one of the twelve spaces in her group class has become available and OH has said that he will pay for the six sessions. I wouldn't have thought of it if your post hadn't prompted me so thank you.

Also, re your hair. If you hadn't already thought of it, can I suggest that you talk some photographs so you can actually compare to see what works.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • I have the same problem as you SSG with regard to thinning hair. It's quite common after the menopause and is often genetic if all else has been ruled out. Mine is thinner on the top and like you I hide it with a side parting :(.

I can't afford supplements so I just hope it doesn't get much worse. One thing I've noticed is that my hair falls out when I'm stressed and thickens up a bit when I feel relaxed.

I also try to eat things like eggs, as at one time I thought I might not be having enough fat in my diet.

It is quite a common problem and I often spot women out and about with a thin patch. I've had my thyroid checked and that's fine. I decided a few years ago that as there's nothing I can do about it then I just have to not worry about it. If all else fails there are always wigs or scarves :rotfl:.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Thanks everyone - your lovely comments have really bucked me up no end and EE you are so right about MSE posters sharing their wisdom. I’ve learnt so much since I’ve joined the ranks.

I checked out the coconut oil online - there were a few horror stories on there about people using it for thinning hair and the first time they tried it their hair started to come away! It seemed to happen to those with fine, thin hair like me - users with coarser thicker hair seemed to get a benefit from it. I think I will just try the Viviscal for now as I couldn’t bear to lose any more hair at the moment!:eek: but thank you again inod for your suggestion and EE for looking up the link.

Talking of the Viviscal, my yearly Amex Cashback card payout is on the 1st December and it’s nearly up to £62 at the moment. The supplement for three months is about £69 so the Cashback will pay for most of the cost!:)

Today I went out for a walk - lovely cold, crisp sunny day, and then went to Pilates. Creaked and crunched all over the place again but I certainly felt that it loosened up my lower back. I won’t talk about my attempt at the Plank though.....:D. It’s really made me want to focus on my weight loss as I’ll certainly get more benefit from Pilates if I can drop some lbs. My tutor is away for the next two weekends but I’m going to try and book for the group class next Saturday morning before I go off to Stratford on the Sunday.

Oh and I forgot to mention in my last post - have put £420 back into the EF so all fully funded again now!:j

re hair try a product nizoral
    Cashback Earnings YTD £46.04 Survey Earnings YTD £182.66
    "Always always train, be the best version of you that you can physically be"
  • So, inspired by you, I contacted my old one to one Pilates instructor. She got back saying one of the twelve spaces in her group class has become available and OH has said that he will pay for the six sessions. I wouldn't have thought of it if your post hadn't prompted me so thank you.

Also, re your hair. If you hadn't already thought of it, can I suggest that you talk some photographs so you can actually compare to see what works.

I’m glad you’re off to Pilates again inod as I remember you used to practice it.

Thanks also for the photo tip. I’m definitely going to “selfie” my head and see if there is any difference as time goes on.
    I have the same problem as you SSG with regard to thinning hair. It's quite common after the menopause and is often genetic if all else has been ruled out. Mine is thinner on the top and like you I hide it with a side parting :(.

I can't afford supplements so I just hope it doesn't get much worse. One thing I've noticed is that my hair falls out when I'm stressed and thickens up a bit when I feel relaxed.

I also try to eat things like eggs, as at one time I thought I might not be having enough fat in my diet.
    S
    It is quite a common problem and I often spot women out and about with a thin patch. I've had my thyroid checked and that's fine. I decided a few years ago that as there's nothing I can do about it then I just have to not worry about it. If all else fails there are always wigs or scarves :rotfl:.

It’s such a pain Hairy. If the Viviscal doesn’t work I’ve run out of options. Wigs and scarves eh ........
    re hair try a product nizoral

Hi Scott. Thanks for the tip. I’ve looked into Nizoral but it seems to be a treatment for dandruff rather than hair loss.

Well where has this week gone! Quite a lot on again in work - new accounts coming in - some quite complex.

Was out on Wednesday - had my trip with the family on the wonderful train to Chatsworth House. Such a beautiful place - it had a Dickens theme this Christmas - so cleverly done. Actors dressed up as Dickens characters and the rooms dressed to match so the grand dining room which is laid up for a banquet had cobwebs sprayed over it and an old wedding cake in the middle of the table with eerie music playing to mimic Miss Haversham’s dining room from Great Expectations. Wonderful Christmas trees and decorations as well. There was a Christmas market outside but I was quite good - bought some cheeses, chocolate liqueur for DD and me, biscuits for work, and a lovely advent calendar which was a painting of Chatsworth House with the little doors opening all over it.

Thursday afternoon at work was our desk Xmas lunch - that was good fun. Yesterday I worked late as I’m off now till next Thursday (whoopee!)

Today I finished my 30 cleaning project earlier than I should as the deccies went up today. I did miss a couple of things off, like sorting out the paperwork, till the New Year and some things in the book don’t apply to me anyway as I don’t have an office or dining room.

Still it all looks lovely and twinkly!

Tomorrow I’m off to Stratford at lunchtime so will pack tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to it!:T
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business